Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #1321
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two things that come to mind :

- Like alot of things in this media crazed age we live in, too much hoopla over a minor thing.

- Phil loves attention be it good or bad. I don't mind Phil but I always thought he was a bs artist.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #1322
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
BTW, Joe Buck should be calling baseball games and FOX DQed from ever broadcasting the Open again. Pitiful coverage.

+1 Joe Buck is a terrible golf announcer, should have been dumped with Greg Norman after the first year.

Probably should also get rid of all of the USGA big wigs, they have had so many screw ups (course setups, rules issues) during the tournaments they have run the last few years. Time to get some new blood and direction.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #1323
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Personally I think he should be DQed. What he did demonstrated no respect for the game. If he was aware of the two stroke penalty for striking a moving ball and did it on purpose he was gaming the rules, which is indefensible and not in the spirit of the game. I realize the course was playing extremely difficult but what Phil did was simply uncalled for and as he has already said, it hasn't his finest moment.

BTW, Joe Buck should be calling baseball games and FOX DQed from ever broadcasting the Open again. Pitiful coverage.
I would have also accepted if they’d DQ’d Mickelson. My issue was with Buck belaboring the ruling going out of his way trying to get other commentators to make Phil and the USGA look bad. Make your dissenting view known by all means, then move on. I was glad to see the other former player commentators, who know the game way better than Buck, not take the bait. CBS, NBC and the Golf Channel provide much more professional golf coverage.

And FWIW John Daly took a whack at a ball rolling back to him off the green out of frustration in the last round of the 1999 US Open and took a 2 stroke penalty, he was not DQ’d. Daly carded an 83 that day. https://www.espn.com/golfonline/usop.../00001467.html

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #1324
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post

I think it is hard to DQ him given that it is out of character and just demonstrated the level of frustration he must have been feeling. The officials may have recognized that a DQ may have triggered a full scale revolt.
One of the talking heads(Golf Channel I think) said that if Pat Perez had done it he would have been DQ'ed. Who knows, but anyone who does such a thing should be DQ'ed imo.

Looks like they have watered the greens this morning so more than likely we won't see anymore goofy golf. Hope for a close finish.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #1325
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Big_Hitter for gathering my lost golf balls. Keep your eyes open as there are a couple (dozens) more in the canyon, the pond and in plain sight due to my excellent golf skills.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #1326
Recycles dryer sheets

I got to play an absolute gem of a course today called Windsong Farm. I played it 6 years ago and ranked it top 5 in Minnesota. Based on todays conditions, I can only think of 1 course in Minnesota that I would consider better (Springhill). The greens, fairways, bunkers, and staff were spectacular. They put an additional $2 million into their bunkers last year, and it shows.

I'm thinking that Windsong will be off of my rotation for the rest of my life after retirement, but what a treat it was today. Due to the rain yesterday, they were walking with caddy's only. That added to the day!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post

...I'm thinking that Windsong will be off of my rotation for the rest of my life after retirement, but what a treat it was today. ...!
Why won't you play it after retirement?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #1328
Recycles dryer sheets

It’s a very private club. The first time I played was when I was a member of the TPC. We were able to get invitations to other clubs for the weeks when the senior pga tour took over our club. Though I’ve been considering joining another club, this reciprocity was quite unique to the TPC.

Today’s invitation was business related. That opportunity will end after retirement.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #1329

Headgear, do you wear any, a baseball type hat, visor, wide brim farmers type ?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #1330
Recycles dryer sheets

Baseball type cap
Old 06-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
Baseball type cap
Same here.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #1332
Give me a forum ...

I wear one of these in the summer (I have about 5 of them), golf hat otherwise:

https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/pr...n-palm-hat.cfm
Old 06-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #1333
Give me a forum ...

I wasn’t asked, but in case skin protection is a consideration for any others...and apologies otherwise.

I usually wear a ball cap style. I’ve resorted to invisible zinc sunscreens to protect my ears, which were “crispy” at the end of every summer despite using traditional sunscreens. Several brands, I use https://www.neutrogena.com/sun/sheer...0/6811080.html

However, I should (and sometimes do) wear a full brim hat to also protect my ears and neck. But most are no good in the wind, they can flop in your face at the wrong time. I have one of these for windy days (and others), comes from kayaking/watersports. On really windy days it’s the only good choice for me to play golf - the brim can’t flop in your face. FWIW

https://www.sheltahats.com

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 06-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #1334
Give me a forum ...

if anyone has a large head these are great hats and a smoking deal

https://www.tgw.com/taylormade-tour-...rty-fitted-hat
Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #1335
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
In my idiotic youth I used to not care about the sun, but now I put on 50+ sunscreen even if I'm playing at 7:00 AM and wear hats similar to above that cover the face and ears...the only difference is that they are cheap $3 hats from a dollar store
Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #1336

Quote:
Headgear, do you wear any, a baseball type hat, visor, wide brim farmers type ?
I started wearing a wide-brim hat this summer, for both golf & hiking. You’d think after all the trips to the dermatologist over the years (I’m fair skinned), I’d have done this sooner.

But, I do like the wide brim hat and, no problems with wind so far.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #1337
Recycles dryer sheets

I walk 99% of the time and use an umbrella on the cart. A couple of tumors removed makes one more careful.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
I walk 99% of the time and use an umbrella on the cart. A couple of tumors removed makes one more careful.
Doesn’t the umbrella interfere with your backswing?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #1339
Recycles dryer sheets

My brain interferes much much more. We could have a poll for who has the most swing thoughts before pulling the trigger.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #1340
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Doesn’t the umbrella interfere with your backswing?
he puts it on a speed cart for shade