Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #1581
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Played yesterday with my Thursday group, parred or bogeyed the most difficult holes and double bogeyed all the easy holes !@#$%^&*(). Golf is a four letter word for a reason.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2018, 06:50 AM   #1582
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^ I can usually bogey or par most holes, maybe a double bogey or two on a bad day. Wed I had 10 pars, 4 bogies, and 2 doubles. I had a quad on #3 and a triple on #14, must have been temporarily brain dead, how that happens remains a mystery. Last year I shot a 77 with a triple bogey on the first hole. Strange game.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 09-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #1583
Give me a forum ...

so I got my third ace last night - 13th hole 195 4-iron

since I didn't have hio insurance I opened at $300 bar tab for the guys in league
Old 09-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #1584
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

since I didn't have hio insurance I opened at $300 bar tab for the guys in league
Wow, congrats - and on a long par 3 to boot. Impressive!

Old 09-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #1585
Give me a forum ...

thanks - it is a little downhill so it doesn't play that long

waiting for jcretire to chime in - he missed his free drink!
Old 09-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #1586

Nice! Congratulations.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #1587

Quote:

Congrats!

Sorry I wasn’t there for a free drink.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #1588
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Oh, come on... tell us more... describe the hole, hazards, the ball flight, what it did once it landed, etc.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #1589
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Oh, come on... tell us more... describe the hole, hazards, the ball flight, what it did once it landed, etc.
not a lot of hazards, this hole is just long and has bunkers to the left

i'm a lefty, so i aimed a little left of the hole and really hit a solid shot with my 4 iron, it started drawing in, took a big hop and it must have gone right in, we couldn't see it

at that point i was pretty sure it went in but it's tough to see 200 yards out - i told mitch that if it's a bridgestone in there that's mine, and it was
Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #1590
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely congratulations from me! I saw your name on the door this morning just before I hacked up another nine holes. Very cool. It is a long straight hole. The course is in the foothills of Boise and there isn't a flat spot anywhere. Way to go!
Old 09-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #1591
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
Definitely congratulations from me! I saw your name on the door this morning just before I hacked up another nine holes. Very cool. It is a long straight hole. The course is in the foothills of Boise and there isn't a flat spot anywhere. Way to go!
thanks - I owe you a drink
Old 09-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #1592
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
not a lot of hazards, this hole is just long and has bunkers to the left

i'm a lefty, so i aimed a little left of the hole and really hit a solid shot with my 4 iron, it started drawing in, took a big hop and it must have gone right in, we couldn't see it

at that point i was pretty sure it went in but it's tough to see 200 yards out - i told mitch that if it's a bridgestone in there that's mine, and it was
That is cool.

I have only seen one hole-in-one .... my neighbor friend a few years ago. It was a bit funny in that just prior to that we had been talking about holes-in-one experiences. It was a bit foggy and I followed the ball to the left side of the green and it rolled left to right and went into the hole... I lost sight of it by then but someone in our foresome with much better eyesight saw it.

The closest that I have come is about 4" on a long 190+ yard par three at one of our local courses with my utility wood. Also had a good friend lip the cup and end up 3" behind it a couple years ago... that one I saw all the way... needless to say he won closest to the pin that day.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #1593

Quote:

Well done, congratulations!!! The previous club I belonged to included the hio insurance for anyone who was a member of the men's club, never had to use it but got a few drinks from those that did.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #1594
Full time employment: Posting here.

Aarrrggg.....no way I would fork up $300 because of a hole in one. General rule where I play is to buy a decent bottle of Whiskey, maybe 2 at the most. Haven't been close in ages. But good ace for you!!
Old 09-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #1595
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Played yesterday with my Thursday group, parred or bogeyed the most difficult holes and double bogeyed all the easy holes !@#$%^&*(). Golf is a four letter word for a reason.

I know that feeling this week . I got my first ever eagle on a par 5. A 500 yard hole, which usually for me, not being a power hitter, is an automatic double bogey at best... but I somehow managed to put together 2 solid shots that both stayed in the fairway, and my third shot miraculously went in from 110 yards out.

Which I then followed up with a triple bogey on a 100 yard par 3.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #1596
Give me a forum ...

I played a round yesterday with my GF's ball team. After there was a barbeque at one of their houses and people had asked how we played. We related a few examples of some shots we had made and then my GF said, "You can actually remember which club you hit on which hole?" I said, "Yup, pick a hole and I'll tell you exactly what I did." So she picked up the score card and asked about the 4th.

Me: "430 par 4, good drive in the middle, pulled 4 hybrid left of the green, chipped up short, 2 putted from 20 feet for a 5." The card showed a 5.

GF: "Okay...8th hole."

"360 par 4. Sliced drive into the water, dropped and sliced 3 hybrid into the water, dropped again and skulled a wedge to the back of the green, sunk an 80' putt for a 6. The card will say 6 and have 2 small x's and a small 1."

GF shakes head in amazement (or disgust) : "13th hole?"

"530 par 5. Drive into the right rough, 3 hybrid to 140, 8 iron a little long, 2 putt from 35 - 40 feet for a 5 but had to make an 8 foot 2nd putt."

GF: "And yet you half the time can't even remember a question I asked you 10 minutes ago!!

I think that most average or better players can remember the details of every shot they made after the round. I'm sure many people here can do the same thing?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #1597
Give me a forum ...

^^ Yep, like you I think most who play golf can tell you each shot played and which club for at least the last round played.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #1598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
GF: "And yet you half the time can't even remember a question I asked you 10 minutes ago!!
So, what’s your new GF say?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #1599
Give me a forum ...

She golfs, so she understands.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #1600
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I think that most average or better players can remember the details of every shot they made after the round. I'm sure many people here can do the same thing?
I can