Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2007, 09:41 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you avoid renting on weekends, and stick with tues/wed/thurs...about half of the u-haul trucks on the lot will be unrented...and so will quite a few at the competitors.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Basically u-haul gives you the crappiest truck they have and sees if you're going to complain.
Interesting observation. I've noticed that businesses tend to rent Ryder or Penske or Hertz trucks when necessary. I can't ever remember seeing a business renting a U-Haul truck. OTOH we stumbled across a good U-Haul franchise owner (not an easy accomplishment) and she likes us, so we get a good deal on the one or two times a year that we need a big truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
If you avoid renting on weekends, and stick with tues/wed/thurs...about half of the u-haul trucks on the lot will be unrented...and so will quite a few at the competitors.
Hey hey hey, you're giving away some of the best ER secrets!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
For interstate moves, are most of you planning to move your furniture? I wonder if the cost, physical and mental strain, and hassle of moving beds, sofas, china cabinets, double dressers, and such is even worth it. That's especially true when considering the possibility that at least some of the furniture may not fit or look right in the next home, and it might arrive damaged.
I love the style and function of my present furniture, and it is in great shape. It would last for the duration if I did not move. But realistically, it is 30 year old middle-of-the-line furniture that just hasn't seen any hard wear. The former owner of my present home died in an automobile accident, and I bought it used from her daughter for a song.
Buying all new furniture when I retire sounds pretty expensive for a LBYM'er like me, but when I factor in the easier move and the fun of buying the perfect furniture for the new house, it sounds like it could be the better option. Well, maybe.
The logistics of selling my house and moving to another state is horrendous. Not having to deal with furniture might help in that respect as well. Perhaps I could rent a small truck for the move, and without furniture everything would fit easily in it.
Sorry, just thinking "out loud". The problems are perplexing. I am ambivalent about moving in the first place, and this doesn't make it any easier to make the sensible decision (to go).
Martha has pointed out that the only reason people would want to move is if the new place is ever so much better. Lower living expenses doesn't necessarily make it better. So maybe it's best to accept other lifestyle compromises in order to stay in place... that's a tough personal decision without an easy "right" answer.

I'm surprised that more veterans haven't weighed in on this discussion. Spouse and I are victims survivors of 19 moves, including five ocean crossings and a car that spent 119 days on an unaccompanied open-air government-funded tour of European ports... while allegedly enroute California.

The best moves I ever had were the ones where I packed my stereo speakers in my compact car (back when big speakers were a good thing), padded everything with trash bags of clothing, and drove I-95. As we accumulated more possessions (and family members) the moves just got nastier.

There are essentially two choices: (1) buy indestructible furniture that you don't give a rat's ass about or (2) sell before moving and buy other stuff after arrival. (1) used to be cheaper but in today's Internet environment I suspect that (2) is a better deal.

You can move yourself, but you'll soon find yourself questioning your material lifestyle. Everything you bother to pack has to be unpacked at the other end. The thill of moving yourself via a rental truck lasts for about one move, and if you have kids then maybe not even that long. Rental trucks & PODS may be an incremental improvement over your buddy's pickup but you're still paying someone to facilitate your slave labor.

We've seen all the movers. Even the best make mistakes, and the worst movers... well, we've told them to leave and to give us another crew. (At least the second-stringers didn't need to drink beer at lunch... or for lunch.) The only difference between an experienced mover and an amateur is that the experienced one can do it faster and is smart enough to use the moving equipment instead of muscles. None of that is for the benefit of the customer.

You can insure your really good stuff but it'll eventually arrive damaged someday and getting repairs is a huge hassle. Even if the repair is "free" (insured) you'll spend way too much of your "free" time dealing with the logistics of getting it repaired. It's easier to lose it so that you can replace it through replacement-cost insurance.

The only two articles of furniture that have come through a dozen moves in good condition have been two identical solid-oak desks that we bought raw and finished ourselves. When they got dinged up we were able to sand, putty, & refinish to their original condition. They cost $700 each in 1984, have been a huge hassle to move, and mostly serve as file cabinets. I could upgrade them from Craigslist for under $200 each in less than a month.

We haven't bought retail furniture in nearly a decade and Craigslist has done amazing things for furniture liquidity. When you buy a couch for $250 and treat it right you can probably sell it a few years later for $150. You can also buy its replacement for $250-$300 with the savings from avoiding the moving fees.

If I was moving across state lines next month, I'd have the mother of all Craigslist sales. I'd keep the photo albums, the kid's furniture, and the indestructible sentimental items but even my indulgence for that has a limit. I'd budget $5-$10K for Craigslist/Goodwill replacements at the other end and I'd just keep upgrading for a few years until I was happy.

But it's far better never to move in the first place.

Our Craigslist purchases over the last few years:
- Diningroom table + two leaves & six chairs
- 3x barstools
- Leather livingroom sofa
- Velour double recliner
- Computer desk & hutch
- Fridgezilla
- Two 4'x6' and one 4'x4' bookcases
- Two brand-new plastic-wrapped queen beds (frames, headboards, mattresses, box springs)
- Triple-wide dresser & mirror
- Five-drawer chest dresser
- A bedroom of kid's furniture
- Kid's TV cabinet
- Kid's study desk
- Five sets of mirror closet doors
- A motorized treadmill, elliptical trainer, weight bench, free weights, and a universal-style weight machine
- Lanai table & 4x chairs
- 200 watts of photovoltaic solar panels
- $400 Dell Inspiron D505 laptop with wireless card
- More artsy crap than I care to remember having to hang on the walls.

Every purchase has been easier than the last. Two years ago the Hawaii Craigslist had maybe 30-40 new postings a day. Today it's over 200...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #23
Administrator

Thanks, Nords. That was a great post and it's easy to see that you know what you are talking about. There was a lot in there to think about.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:43 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First, the Bekins truck was not hard to drive at all. It was just a small rental truck. If you have valuables like photos, heirlooms and irreplaceable items, it would be worth it to rent one and move it yourself--if there is too much to fit into a car.
Second, after much thought, I am coming to the conclusion that it might be smarter to just have a huge estate sale for so much of this stuff. Then I will put the real valuables I want to keep and family heirlooms in storage while I travel around looking for a place to plop.
My mother bought a dining set and new living room stuff with the thought that I would keep it a few years ago, so it all is brand new. In fact, this is the last purchase she ever made, I think. But, I also suspect, she thought I would settle back into my old hometown. Why? I left over 40 years ago with the idea I would never come back then, and still feel that way. This area was never for me: dead economy, wonderful people...but dead, dead, dead despite the fact they are really trying hard to attract people with festivals and other activities. Much better than when I was growing up, but still not for me.
I wouldn't tell her about selling her things as it would break her aging heart, but her house is huge--and I don't plan on having a huge, backbreaking house when I leave after she passes.
You make good points and ones I have been mulling over for months myself.
I do think it makes more sense to rid myself of all of this stuff--and boy! is there ever alot. And it's good stuff, too.
Now I just have to work on my guilty feelings of not keeping the things she so lovingly picked out for me....and that's a hard one.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #25

As Cute Fuzzy Bunny said in her post about UHaul giving you the crappiest trucks they have and see if you complain--wow! what a great marketing concept that is.... Just one little detail: I will NEVER rent from freak'in UHaul again because of it.
Having been in hard core sales over 30 years, if UHaul screws enough of us like this it will eventually catch up to them. I've seen more than one salesperson and certainly more than one sales company go down because of treating their customers like crap...and UHaul would deserve to tank. Just my opinion, folks, is all.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I guess I shouldnt have used all of those feminine pictures.

I prefer to avoid u-haul at all costs myself. But sometimes they're you're only option.

My favorite u-haul story is getting a truck from them and besides it being a huge piece of crap, noticing that it only had 3/4 of a tank of gas when I got 3 miles away. I picked up some furniture, doing about 10 miles total and then put 8 gallons of diesel in it to fill it.

Took it back and told the guy it wasnt full. "All of our trucks are filled, sir". We then had a brief discussion around gas mileage, where he admitted the truck gets about 8-10 miles per gallon...but he couldnt offer any solutions as to why I only went 10 miles and the truck needed 8 gallons other than "all of our trucks are filled, sir".

So no fanboy here... :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

The UHaul places I am familiar with are franchises, staff quality varies. The equipment itself belongs to the corporation, based in AZ. The UHaul corporation has had financial problems which, I hear, have been resolved in the last year or two (they were on the verge of bankruptcy).

The franchisees are stuck with the vehicles in their area brought in by customers. I feel sorry for the franchisees, but I will make significant effort to avoid using their trucks. The effort expended to use another vendor depends on cost, safety concerns and criticality of schedule.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The franchisees are stuck with the vehicles in their area brought in by customers.
That excuse doesn't fly on Oahu; U-Haul trucks can't fit into the Long Beach Tunnel!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That excuse doesn't fly on Oahu; U-Haul trucks can't fit into the Long Beach Tunnel!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #30

Good news! Small article titled, "U-Haul Safety Practices Found Wanting" in today's, 6/26/07, Wall Street Journal, page B5 right hand corner.
Uh...yeah...I'd consider having no side mirrors at all unsafe like I had when I rented a falling apart piece of crapola from U-Haul. Never again...and you can quote me on that one.