Join Early Retirement Today

Good Part Time Job
Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Good Part Time Job

I started a company that was successful and I'm in my 30s now. The company pretty much runs itself so I don't work much anymore.

I've done many of the things that people do in retirement; travel, volunteer, pick up hobbies. It's great, but most of my peer group is at work during the day, so I'd like something to provide social interaction and purpose during this time.

Has anybody picked up a part time job just for fun? I'm thinking about getting a job at a coffee shop or grocery store for about 20 hours/week. Am I crazy?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
I'm thinking about getting a job at a coffee shop or grocery store for about 20 hours/week. Am I crazy?
Yes, but if you are in you're 30's you are allowed a little wiggle room.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are in our fifties with gray hair (well gray roots for me since I dye my hair) and most of our peer group is at work. We are okay hanging out with people in their sixties so it works out for us, but we are teased about being the younguns at club meetings.

I don't think you are crazy. I think humans are social animals. You could also go back to school or do volunteer work. What have you always wanted to do but didn't have time for? What would an ideal day for you be like? Brian Tracy has some good DVDs on goal setting and visualizing your perfect life. You can often find them used on Amazon.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yes, but if you are in you're 30's you are allowed a little wiggle room.
haha.

I've found volunteer work lacks the commitment and most volunteers are at least 30 years older than me. I like to volunteer, but it's better suited as a hobby.

I have some long term goals, but it will take awhile for those to develop, so I'm just looking for something that will provide some structure and social interaction in the meantime.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #5

No, not crazy. At my last job I worked with a couple of multimillionaires who certainly didn't need the income. They did want the social interaction.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Start another company?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Start another company?
I'll probably start another venture in a few years. I'm just looking for something social and not too serious in the meantime.

I was just wondering if there are any part time jobs that I hadn't thought about.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Start a Blog on some adventure that you are interested in. Read and comment on Blogs. They are a non-personal sort of social interaction, like this forum...

Maybe write a small book on how to start a business, and sell it as an eBook. Volunter at the zoo, or go on a bike ride every AM.

There are lots of things for social interaction. As a business owner (and employee) myself, I am not sure I could do it. Being in a place at the set time that I am being told to do. Maybe if it was volunteer work, and I could come and go as I please, I could take it.

Keep making sure your company keeps on. There are many competitors out there, and no company can run itself forever. Keep improving it, keep making it larger, or more profitable. You do not want to be in your 60s and be broke.

As it is, I can barely handle my last two years here at the office before I FIRE.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Umpire. My son makes $35 for a two hr game. I talked to one guy who schedules umpires for tournaments and he says the guys can make $350-$400 a weekend. Of course you have to have tough skin. Also learn how to build and replace screens. Huge margin and minimal effort.

JDARNELL