Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Good Schools for Early Retirees Kids
Old 02-18-2006, 10:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingaboutit

West coast or Northeast coast (DC and above) are the areas we are most interested in.

Thanks.

Here's a link for California school ranking (based on test scores):
http://www.ap.org/california/schools/index.html

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Data for Washington State as a whole, then specific school districts. Note the 'compare my school' wizzard on the upper right.*

Washington State data:* http://tinyurl.com/hr55a

Oregon's data is much more difficult to use.*

Oregon Dept of Higher Ed 04-05 test results:
http://tinyurl.com/n8tlf

Standard and Poor's school report website:
http://www.schoolmatters.com/

PM me and I wll share with you the generally highly regarded public high schools in Oregon and Washington.*

Take care when looking at just test scores.* Consider also whether or not programs are available to fit different learning styles: hands-on learners vs book learners.*

Old 02-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Another thing to consider is looking beyond primary/secondary schools and to the quality of the in-state universities. We haven't figured out where we will settle down after the military, but our childrens education is one big factor for us. Finding good schools in a state that also has good public universities (to include a good variety) may save you/your children a lot in out-of-state tuition cost.

Wow, I looked up my high school (WA State) and it was terrible. I guess that explains a lot.

AV8
Old 02-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I looked at mine in the same State and it was top notch- and we don't have to put up with Seattle-Bellview-Redmond traffic either.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:07 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thinkingaboutit,

Unfortunately I can't recommend the S.F. bay area or at least the south bay if you want good schools at reasonable cost.* They seem to be mutually exclusive in this area.

There are some very good (and very competitive) schools in the South Bay/Silicon Valley area but you have to pay a premium above the already high bay area real estate prices.* In general you will pay $1M+ for a house in a "good" school district.* There are instances where there will be a $100-200k or more difference between two essentially identical houses in similar neighborhoods (sometimes across the street from each other) because one is in a better school district.

The elementary school near us is fairly good but the middle school and high school are mediocre.* According to a web site in another post our house is worth $800k and some in the neighborhood are $1M+.* Our kids are in private schools.

MB*