Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
California:

Beautiful fantastic views! What's with the bike in front of all the nice pictures though?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whooo...there's really no need to quote all the pictures again. A lot of scrolling required for just one little comment.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #43
gone traveling

Oregon is a great choice- if you stay away from The Peoples Republic of Portland... I'd look further south, down toward Medford or Klamath Falls. Inland, Bend is nice, but the billionaires are starting to force the millionaires out..
Old 02-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Oregon is a great choice- if you stay away from The Peoples Republic of Portland... I'd look further south, down toward Medford or Klamath Falls. Inland, Bend is nice, but the billionaires are starting to force the millionaires out..
Portland has a lot to offer folks in ER -- if you're looking for an vibrant urban center. It has great entertainment, parks, transit, art, medical care, education and food. I think the transit segment of an ER move is one that's often overlooked, but it's really important as it's often the thing that keeps people from aging in place in their homes. It's pretty easy to live in Portland without a car or a bike, especially if you live on or near one of the bus lines.

If it's pastoral beauty you're looking for, you can get it within 30 minutes of Portland (try Canby, McMinnville, Forest Grove) and still benefit from the medical facilities in the city.

It's true, though that in general the farther away from Portland you get, the more politically conservative the communities become, and as you move east over the Cascades this is even more so.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Portland Metro's light rail system is being extended south from Beaverton. I heartily agree about transit availability and not needing to drive as we get older.

Of the communities Urchina mentions McMinnville or Forest Grove would make my list if transit weren't a factor.

Frankly I love Portland's city center. Lived there most of my life and intend to return eventually. Like many, I have a concern about development boondoggles and it's impact on the City finances.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Here's another SF Bay Area to Bend story -- you hear a lot of them in our neighborhood atop Awbrey Butte.

Moved up in 2005, and basically have found it to be an upgrade in every way except (1) the weather (winter gets a little long for me with snow from Dec -- Mar), and (2) no good chinese food. In every other way, life in Bend is better than it was in Alamo: better housing, better recreation, better traffic, better social circle, lower cost of living. Unfortunately, Bend has only a secondary economy, and is dependent on California to drive tourism and jobs. Not much of either right now -- no lift lines, but unemployment is up to 12.5%.

I get back to the Bay Area (Oakland) for part-time consulting work about six weeks a year, and generally cannot wait to leave every time.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I dream of retiring in OR- I go back and forth between Bend/Sisters, or Ashland, or the central coast.... that's how much I like Oregon. Portland would also be the only large city I could stand living in.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remediator View Post
Here's another SF Bay Area to Bend story -- you hear a lot of them in our neighborhood atop Awbrey Butte.

Moved up in 2005, and basically have found it to be an upgrade in every way except (1) the weather (winter gets a little long for me with snow from Dec -- Mar), and (2) no good chinese food. In every other way, life in Bend is better than it was in Alamo: better housing, better recreation, better traffic, better social circle, lower cost of living. Unfortunately, Bend has only a secondary economy, and is dependent on California to drive tourism and jobs. Not much of either right now -- no lift lines, but unemployment is up to 12.5%.
My parents retired to Southern Oregon (Rogue River) more than 25 years. I swear for the first ten years I visited them, the only people I met in Oregon were California transplants. I recently spent several days in Eugene, which regularly gets mentioned in the best places to retire list. I must say if it wasn't for the cold winters I seriously consider it as a retirement location in Hawaii becomes to expensive for me.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Oregon native here (currently living near Seattle so I am still in the Oregon Territory)...

First let me say that housing prices are dropping there two, particularly where employment is weak or where prices bubbled.

While Bend does seem attractive it has a weak employment base. The reason why this could be important to a retiree is the liquidity of homes in "normal" times. If you think Portland politics is nuts-o Bend's is certifiable. Sunriver would be an option as that it is an attractive resort community. Sisters area is another historically strong vacation area.

Ashland has a college which provides stability to the economy there. It is liberal politically. Twenty miles north is Medford, the mirror image politically. Medford has a couple large retirement communities, and a veteran' hospital.

Roseburg is on the Rogue River. Historically this is a lumber dependent community so their employment base has imploded. In a nutshell home values, which have always been very reasonable, are even more so. I have an elderly cousin & spouse (whose kids want to move close to them) who have a lovely home on the river. Once her husband passes away she will be torn between friends who she has known since she was a bride (and who are getting frail too), and moving near one of her children.

TriMet is just finishing up a rail leg south from Beaverton so there will be more communities around Portland to consider.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hum, either Roseburg moved or the Rogue River really meandered. Last time I looked, Grants Pass was on the Rogue River and Roseburg was on the Umpqua River but with the world so screwed up these days - who knows?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Ops, my bad. The Rogue River goes through Grants Pass (further south). The Umpqua through Roseberg. They are both great rivers for fishermen.