Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Great day to be retired.............
Old 01-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,438
Great day to be retired.............

Here it is wet and cold today but I have a big ole grin on my face because I would normally be dressed in a coat and tie headed out of town for my company's annual stock holders meeting. A day that I would have to give the annual financial report in front of a bunch of people that would rather be somewhere else. What a wasted day it used to be. But instead, I'm sitting in front of the fire, in my pj's, drinking coffee and chatting with my internet friends. The simple life is good.

Thank God it's warming up tomorrow. It's been over a week since I've played golf.
__________________

__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,409
Going above forty this afternoon, will grill some steaks on the BBQ and watch the snow melt in the backyard.

After thirty years in New Orleans - watching snow melt is still kinda of cool.

May get a chain saw going and cut some downed branches left from the last ice storm - if I get ambitious.

heh heh heh - still cannot find 'crisp crust' Leidenheimer style French bread around Kansas City - so tommorow's red beans(can't wait til Monday) will be a partial meal.
__________________

__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,250
Dawg - Wasted days they are...glad I don't have to give the report, just be there. In our case, it is sometimes interesting to hear the negative comments by certain activist shareholders. Some are pretty close to the mark, but some of those guys are way off the deep end...or have been "inhaling" something...

R
__________________
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Arc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Here it is wet and cold today but I have a big ole grin on my face because I would normally be dressed in a coat and tie headed out of town for my company's annual stock holders meeting. A day that I would have to give the annual financial report in front of a bunch of people that would rather be somewhere else. What a wasted day it used to be. But instead, I'm sitting in front of the fire, in my pj's, drinking coffee and chatting with my internet friends. The simple life is good.

Thank God it's warming up tomorrow. It's been over a week since I've played golf.
How cold can it be in Mississippi?
__________________
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
How cold can it be in Mississippi?
Snowed last weekend. Been in the low 40's last few days with the wind chill factor in the 30's. Too cold for golf. But suppose to be near 60 tomorrow.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ing-32654.html
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
...or have been "inhaling" something...

R
I have never, ever ... been to a shareholder's meeting!
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I have never, ever ... been to a shareholder's meeting!
You haven't missed anything.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,899
Dawg, this morning at 5:45 I went out to my car to go to work, and there was about 1/3" of nasty, very hard ICE on my windshield and other windows. That wasn't predicted at all!

I started the car, put the defroster on "heat", got out my ice scraper and worked on it for 10 minutes. I got about half the ice off which was enough that I could probably have seen through it.

Got in the car, and the INSIDE was all cloudy. Figured it was from the hot air coming out of the defroster, so turned it on cold and A/C. Opened the windows.

BRRRR. Wiped off a little with the sleeve of my coat, used the scraper to get more of it, and set off for work with the A/C on, windows open, and colder than $#%)(*& . I was 10 minutes late, though it was still pitch black when I arrived.

Just thought you'd like to know what you missed this morning!
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,035
It's sunny and mid 60's here .Great day for a long walk and some yard work .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It's sunny and mid 60's here .Great day for a long walk and some yard work .
Why spoil the day with yard work? Tee time today, 1:30pm.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Dawg, this morning at 5:45 I went out to my car to go to work, and there was about 1/3" of nasty, very hard ICE on my windshield and other windows. That wasn't predicted at all!

I started the car, put the defroster on "heat", got out my ice scraper and worked on it for 10 minutes. I got about half the ice off which was enough that I could probably have seen through it.

Got in the car, and the INSIDE was all cloudy. Figured it was from the hot air coming out of the defroster, so turned it on cold and A/C. Opened the windows.

BRRRR. Wiped off a little with the sleeve of my coat, used the scraper to get more of it, and set off for work with the A/C on, windows open, and colder than $#%)(*& . I was 10 minutes late, though it was still pitch black when I arrived.

Just thought you'd like to know what you missed this morning!
Your in New Orleans? Wow. We had some frost but not too bad. Suppose to get to 63 here today.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #12
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Your in New Orleans? Wow. We had some frost but not too bad. Suppose to get to 63 here today.
Yes, just a mile or two from New Orleans, just south of I-10. I made the mistake of parking my car on the side of my house. I guess it's colder over there, tucked in between the house and the fence.

I parked it there Friday afternoon, when I had to bring in a full load of groceries that I picked up after work, in the pouring ice-cold rain. I parked close to the side door so that I wouldn't get too wet. Didn't work. Didn't move the car all weekend since Frank and I hung out together, and he drove.

My ER house is definitely going to have an attached garage!!

Edited to Add: Wunderground.com says it only got down to 36 this morning in my area, and it says there wasn't much of any wind. So I guess either they are wrong, or else ice has started freezing at 40 degrees or something. This makes no sense. But the work is like living in an alternate universe anyway.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post



Edited to Add: Wunderground.com says it only got down to 36 this morning in my area, and it says there wasn't much of any wind. So I guess either they are wrong, or else ice has started freezing at 40 degrees or something. This makes no sense. But the work is like living in an alternate universe anyway.
Microclimates. It is always colder somewhere. And warmer. Even your own yard will have different temps in different places.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
My ER house is definitely going to have an attached garage!!
Yes, that's what we did. Few things in life are certain, but we have decided that this is one: Never again will we live in a house without a garage.

No more scraping ice. No more heat-soaked car in the summer. And that expensive car will last 5-10 years longer given good maintenance.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-Central Illinois
Posts: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Dawg, this morning at 5:45 I went out to my car to go to work, and there was about 1/3" of nasty, very hard ICE on my windshield and other windows. That wasn't predicted at all!.......
Just thought you'd like to know what you missed this morning!
This morning at 5:45.....although I wasn't awake yet.....it was 37 here in northern IL.....902 miles north of Metairie! We just had a very light frost. I'm glad I don't live in a cold, icy, nasty climate like you!
__________________
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
ProspectiveBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

Got in the car, and the INSIDE was all cloudy. Figured it was from the hot air coming out of the defroster, so turned it on cold and A/C. Opened the windows.

BRRRR. Wiped off a little with the sleeve of my coat, used the scraper to get more of it, and set off for work with the A/C on, windows open, and colder than $#%)(*& .
An engineer friend showed me a trick that helps in this situation: turn the A/C on, but leave the heat on. The A/C sucks all the moisture out of the heated air (and the moisture is what's fogging up your windows).

This has worked well for me, but I live in SoCal, so my definition of "cold weather" may not match many of yours.
__________________
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #17
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
This morning at 5:45.....although I wasn't awake yet.....it was 37 here in northern IL.....902 miles north of Metairie! We just had a very light frost. I'm glad I don't live in a cold, icy, nasty climate like you!
Right! I think I'm going to love the Midwest.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #18
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
An engineer friend showed me a trick that helps in this situation: turn the A/C on, but leave the heat on. The A/C sucks all the moisture out of the heated air (and the moisture is what's fogging up your windows).

This has worked well for me, but I live in SoCal, so my definition of "cold weather" may not match many of yours.
Believe it or not, I actually did that. I'd like to say that I did it out of innate brilliance, but actually I did it because I was too sleepy to notice that the "A/C" was punched in during the 5-10 minutes when I had the defrost heat on and was scraping the ice off. It still warmed up the windshield. When I got in the car, I noticed that and turned off the A/C for a while but then turned it back on when I switched to cold air.

Maybe my worst mistake is that I didn't want to close the door with my keys in the car, so I left it ajar by several inches while scraping the windshield. I guess that sucked the cold, wet, yucky air in pretty fast, negating the drying effect of the A/C.

I don't know. Seems like the laws of physics were not functioning properly this morning! It was like being in an alternate universe or living in the Twilight Zone (and I had not even had my coffee yet). Nobody else at work had ice (I asked). At least tonight, I am parked in a more open location, not in that sheltered, cold creepy area by the side of my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Microclimates. It is always colder somewhere. And warmer. Even your own yard will have different temps in different places.
That's got to be it. At least I hope it is. That, or a ghost.

Like Walt34, I want, need, and deserve to have an attached garage! When I was looking for this house, I told my realtor that I HAD to have an attached garage. So, of course I ended up with a house that has no garage. Next time, I'm going to get one no matter what!!
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Back when I was starting out and living in apartments (and parking outdoors in snow/ice/-20F), I swore I would one day have an attached garage. I (we back then) bought this house nearly 30 years ago and the garage was the deal maker for me. It's also a major reason I don't want to move to an apartment.
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Right! I think I'm going to love the Midwest.
Danger Will Robinson ...
we in the midwest love to have company (as in 'misery loves company') ... you don't know what cold is until you get a -30 degree windshield temperature with 40 mph winds and you have to put your head in your (hopefully) down coat so that you can catch a breath.
... don't say you haven't been warned ...
but hey, we didn't have Katrina

p.s. DW DEMANDED an attached garage after our 1st townhouse (parking spot, no garage).
We've had one ever since. Absolute necessity
__________________

__________________
Life is GREAT!
megacorp-firee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A good day to be retired Khan Life after FIRE 11 12-05-2006 06:24 AM
Retired Labor Day 2006 OkieTexan Hi, I am... 14 11-12-2006 11:55 PM
How great is the US of A sgeeeee Other topics 57 02-25-2006 04:04 PM
Great Valentine's day for Navy families Brat Other topics 0 02-15-2006 04:09 PM
Staying the course is a day-to-day struggle azanon Young Dreamers 37 01-17-2006 03:05 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.