Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Moemg...got my hair cut today. I had let it grow out over the last 3 or 4 years and yesterday I just felt OLD! Got the stuff cut short today and feel much BETTER. Yes, styled hair makes a big difference.

I have my Birks resoled at a shop run by a somewhat overweight 50- something woman. Really tall, with basically good bones. She always looked NW woman uniform of the day, mousey brown hair with lots of gray strands, worn beyond her shoulders.

Last time I went in she had gotten a really good shorter cut, and she also a quality red dye job from an upscale shop down in Belltown. I was literally stunned she looked so much better. So I told her how terrific she looked. She shared with me that men who had never even glanced her way were talking to her and acting interested.

This brings up something else. Her personality is also better, more approachable. I think maybe that when a woman doesn't feel particularly attractive it might at least somewhat dampen her spirits and her willingness to reach out.

I agree that it is the overall hairdo, not just color that counts.

But donít think that men donít experience plenty of age related rejection. I go out dancing, which can pack a lot of rejection into a short time, if you can see what I mean. Gray hair is no help for sure, but I am unwilling to spend the time and money to color it.

I get very short buzz to minimize the acres of gray look. If the top of my head didn't look like a deep-vee hull upside down I would shave it.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Ha ,
You said women shouldn't wear birks but it's okay for you .Maybe if you dumped the birks for some great loafers you would have to fight the women off .

Old 08-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Ha ,
You said women shouldn't wear birks but it's okay for you .Maybe if you dumped the birks for some great loafers you would have to fight the women off .
LOL! What are your recommendations?

Actually, my birks are my walkaround shoes- I try to walk 5-8 miles /day. They do look like crap though. A duck with oversized feet!

Ha
Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
While I was out running some earrands today I looked at all the women's hairstyles and I've come to the conclusion gray or tinted it doesn't matter as long as it's cut & styled nicely .There is nothing that ages a woman as straggly hair or a cheap dye job so even if you are LBYM open up those purses for a good stylist .
Is a combover the male equivalent?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:04 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Did I mention that she's single again?
Darn it, theres a joke that has something to do with Antarctica, but I cant quite put my finger on it...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Is a combover the male equivalent?

Yes or worse a cheap dye job on guys usually orange or fake black !
Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I rode in a taxi once with a driver who had used that head spray paint stuff.

It was really hard to not totally burst out laughing. He got some on his ear, his neck, and way too much on the part of his head that actually had hair, so it had beaded up and dried in mid-drip. It was also jet black paint and his hair wasnt the same color.

Stupidest looking thing I've ever seen. Might fool you from 20-30 feet away.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the best looking old guys I've seen lately is Wayne Dyer (the fake guru) who has shaved his head bald. Take note, bald is very sexy to the ladies.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #69

I like sexy bald too, but can you imagine having to shave your head every day? I can't even stand shaving my legs every other day...or week...or month...based on the season.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #70

"More", the magazine for women over 40, has a big fat article THIS month on gray hair and women. Of course, they said it was a positive thing. My library carries the magazine, so yours might, also.
Personally, I like Judy Dench's haircut for her; however, if I were her, I would work on getting rid of those wrinkles some. Guess somebody didn't listen to the message to use sunscreen.
I decided to just enhance my gray, keep the hair in a hip French type twist (ooo la la!) and see what falls my way, so to speak. Will see really soon if gray hair is accepted on women in the real world or if "More" is lying to us with false articles.
FinanceDude (a woman) is right: Indifference really is one of the greatest aphrodisiacs of all. They don't get scared off then, I guess.
But back to talking about gray hair for women...........
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

What's the old saying?

There may be snow on the roof, but there's still a fire in the cellar...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #72

Here's an interesting update on this whole gray headed subject and the boomer generation. Yesterday, I spent many hours on the net and the phone trying to find a silver hair dye for my hair. Clairol had Glorious Grays and Wella had a line, also, that was Silver in color. Both big name brands. Both discontinued their gray color line as not enough people were purchasing it!!!!!!!
Well, that should tell us something about how anyone with gray hair feels about it. They are all looking to dye their hair anything but silver gray!
Am I the only one who loves the silver color?
Aaaaargh....now all that is left is low lights in the white/silver hair to get some dimension in it (the gals know what I am saying, I think) $$$$.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Years ago I used Roux .It's a rinse that slightly colors your hair .I just goggled them and they are still available and they have a few siver shades .
Old 08-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #74

I would use a product like that if I could find one. They have all those rinses that only last one shampoo...and I don't want that. I want something that I could do only about once a month or so. I just don't want a product that gives me BLUE hair. Hair color also improves the texture of your hair too and gray hair usually needs some texture improvement.

I don't have enough gray or silver yet for low lights but it does sound kinda fun except for the cost.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #75

Found some ash gray hair dye by Lolane, which is a company from Thailand. You seem to have to purchase it on Ebay now. I have no idea if it looks natural or more for kids who are into the wild hair colors. Anyway, get on Ebay, punch in Lolane ash gray hair dye and take a look at it.
Several companies are handling it from Thailand. Their feedback is good, but I have a feeling it is young kids using this gray (it looks somewhat artificial to me).
Please let the board know if you have ever used this brand: Lolane. I would love to know something about it.
For stronger white or gray hair--and improve the texture of your hair (which now breaks faster being white or gray)--either go to Sally's or other beauty supply and get a glosser OR hit the local Walgreen's, CVS and other drug stores and get Clairol's Happy Shine in clear. This will make your hair shine and make it stronger. Just a tip.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
For stronger white or gray hair--and improve the texture of your hair (which now breaks faster being white or gray)--either go to Sally's or other beauty supply and get a glosser OR hit the local Walgreen's, CVS and other drug stores and get Clairol's Happy Shine in clear. This will make your hair shine and make it stronger. Just a tip.
Thanks OrchidFlower. That's a tip I'll try this fall when I am too cold to wear a buzz.

Ha
Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #77

This whole thread makes me wonder, is there a way for a woman to have spectacular grey hair? Its quite rare but every so often I see a gal with stunning grey hair, don’t know why. When I point these out my wife comments that her hair is too thin for that cut. My wife has great dyed hair which I would just as soon see grey if it would look just as good or at least interesting.
All I know is Dianna Rigg is fine by me.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Orchidflower;544632
FinanceDude (a woman) is right: Indifference really is one of the greatest aphrodisiacs of all. They don't get scared off then, I guess.
But back to talking about gray hair for women...........[/quote]

Who said I am a woman??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Hey FD, we girls have to stick together...
Old 08-10-2007, 03:51 AM   #80

Apologies, FinanceDude. I read somewhere on this board something that inferred you were a woman; however, I must have read it fast and read it wrong. Maybe you were quoting someone else? But it is now 3:50 a.m., and I am just to freakin' tired to look for it. If I run into it again, I will forward it to you. I thought the name FinanceDude was kinda strange for a woman, but you never know for sure.
You get to be just so macho as you want to be, dude.
The only thing I can swear to anymore is that--when I look down--I, myself, am still female. Honest.
I guess I am really trying to get your and cutefuzzybunny to join the PMS pack...ha! ha!