Grey hair: men=hot women=old???????

[quote. Being single in your 50s is not for wussies.:rolleyes:

[/quote]

I was single in my 50's .You are right it's not for wussies .I had plenty of dates .The reason ,nothing to do with my hair I had the one thing men can't resist .Indifference !!! I really did not care if I met someone so men found me irrestible ,strange but true .

I've been asking around and it seems that men do associate gray hair with grandma = unsexy babe. Sigh....do I have to start dying my hair again...crap...
I guess living longer than you guys is our only revenge, eh? You get to be gray and sexy, and we gals just get to look old with gray hair. Life isn't fair.

Yup sorry, but you do live longer, and once you get married, as a woman you do get to boss us guys around. (See the earlier thread about woman being in charge in the house)

I do swim training with a triatholon training group. A number of the woman are in their 40s and 50s and even in the 70s. Most of them are attractive because they are in great shape even the couple of them who have grey hair. (I'm pretty sure the grey haired ladies are married.) So yes you can be a babe with grey hair. But look at it from a cost benefit viewpoint, these women train a couple hours a day roughly 5 days a week to achieve the same level of sex appeal that you can get with a bottle of hair coloring once a month!!

P.S. Orchidflower aren't you an early retiree? so life isn't so bad :)

Easy for you to say! Aren't you married, Martha? Men our age are really not very interested in us mature single women. If we want any male company at all we've got to keep up the facade. Being single in your 50s is not for wussies.:rolleyes:

I have gone to this haircut. Judy Dench doesn't seem grandma like.

efbeauty199.jpg

Easy for you to say! Aren't you married, Martha? Men our age are really not very interested in us mature single women. If we want any male company at all we've got to keep up the facade. Being single in your 50s is not for wussies.:rolleyes:

That said, there are multiple beautiful women with gray hair in my town. They are fit, healthy, and gorgeous. Any man of similar age who would not be physically attracted because of the gray hair is really a pathetic slave to cultural conditioning, IMHO. But, as a woman, I admit to being an equally pathetic cultural slave. So what to do? Dye my hair.

Oldbabe, I am single and unlike the gorgeous woman in my avatar (Eva Habemann, a model/actress), in real life I have silvery gray hair. It goes well with my light blue eyes and middle-aged skin at fifty-nine years of age, and it never needs a touch-up.

I know for a fact that there are a substantial number of intelligent, single men in their fifties who are interested in intelligent, single women in their fifties with gray hair and fiftyish looking, less than gorgeous bodies. They find women like you and me to be interesting because we have had many of the same life experiences as they have had, and have the wisdom that half a century gives us instead of youth's naivete.

I would suggest that if you like your hair better when you dye it, then do it for you!! But if you'd really rather not, then don't feel that you have to in order to date someone interesting.

From previous posts it sounds like you haven't met "Mr. Right" yet, but when you do, it will be worth the wait and effort of dating! Patience, patience. :)

Moemg;543756 I was single in my 50's .You are right it's not for wussies .I had plenty of dates .The reason said:
Indifference always worked on me, regardless of age...........;)

It is much worse than that.
To your kids, 40 year old is ancient regardless of your hair color or gender.

Fortunately, my 11 year olds have adapted to the fact that their parents are older - they don't think old is until you are 65. Good break for me but DH has only 5 years to go!

Last edited:
While I was out running some earrands today I looked at all the women's hairstyles and I've come to the conclusion gray or tinted it doesn't matter as long as it's cut & styled nicely .There is nothing that ages a woman as straggly hair or a cheap dye job so even if you are LBYM open up those purses for a good stylist .

Moemg...got my hair cut today. I had let it grow out over the last 3 or 4 years and yesterday I just felt OLD! Got the stuff cut short today and feel much BETTER.:D Yes, styled hair makes a big difference.

AHHHH!
SCARY GRAMMA!
Hey, she's done more for the Bond movies than anyone since Sean Connery. Better be careful or Dame Judy will come over to your house and kick your assets from one side of the property line to the other...

Did I mention that she's single again?

Moemg...got my hair cut today. I had let it grow out over the last 3 or 4 years and yesterday I just felt OLD! Got the stuff cut short today and feel much BETTER. Yes, styled hair makes a big difference.

I have my Birks resoled at a shop run by a somewhat overweight 50- something woman. Really tall, with basically good bones. She always looked NW woman uniform of the day, mousey brown hair with lots of gray strands, worn beyond her shoulders.

Last time I went in she had gotten a really good shorter cut, and she also a quality red dye job from an upscale shop down in Belltown. I was literally stunned she looked so much better. So I told her how terrific she looked. She shared with me that men who had never even glanced her way were talking to her and acting interested.

This brings up something else. Her personality is also better, more approachable. I think maybe that when a woman doesn't feel particularly attractive it might at least somewhat dampen her spirits and her willingness to reach out.

I agree that it is the overall hairdo, not just color that counts.

But don’t think that men don’t experience plenty of age related rejection. I go out dancing, which can pack a lot of rejection into a short time, if you can see what I mean. Gray hair is no help for sure, but I am unwilling to spend the time and money to color it.

I get very short buzz to minimize the acres of gray look. If the top of my head didn't look like a deep-vee hull upside down I would shave it.

Ha

Ha ,
You said women shouldn't wear birks but it's okay for you .Maybe if you dumped the birks for some great loafers you would have to fight the women off .

Ha ,
You said women shouldn't wear birks but it's okay for you .Maybe if you dumped the birks for some great loafers you would have to fight the women off .

LOL! What are your recommendations?

Actually, my birks are my walkaround shoes- I try to walk 5-8 miles /day. They do look like crap though. A duck with oversized feet!

Ha

While I was out running some earrands today I looked at all the women's hairstyles and I've come to the conclusion gray or tinted it doesn't matter as long as it's cut & styled nicely .There is nothing that ages a woman as straggly hair or a cheap dye job so even if you are LBYM open up those purses for a good stylist .

Is a combover the male equivalent?

I rode in a taxi once with a driver who had used that head spray paint stuff.

It was really hard to not totally burst out laughing. He got some on his ear, his neck, and way too much on the part of his head that actually had hair, so it had beaded up and dried in mid-drip. It was also jet black paint and his hair wasnt the same color.

Stupidest looking thing I've ever seen. Might fool you from 20-30 feet away.

One of the best looking old guys I've seen lately is Wayne Dyer (the fake guru) who has shaved his head bald. Take note, bald is very sexy to the ladies. :cool:

I like sexy bald too, but can you imagine having to shave your head every day? I can't even stand shaving my legs every other day...or week...or month...based on the season.:eek:

"More", the magazine for women over 40, has a big fat article THIS month on gray hair and women. Of course, they said it was a positive thing. My library carries the magazine, so yours might, also.
Personally, I like Judy Dench's haircut for her; however, if I were her, I would work on getting rid of those wrinkles some. Guess somebody didn't listen to the message to use sunscreen.
I decided to just enhance my gray, keep the hair in a hip French type twist (ooo la la!) and see what falls my way, so to speak. Will see really soon if gray hair is accepted on women in the real world or if "More" is lying to us with false articles.
FinanceDude (a woman) is right: Indifference really is one of the greatest aphrodisiacs of all. They don't get scared off then, I guess.
But back to talking about gray hair for women...........

Last edited:
What's the old saying?

There may be snow on the roof, but there's still a fire in the cellar...

Here's an interesting update on this whole gray headed subject and the boomer generation. Yesterday, I spent many hours on the net and the phone trying to find a silver hair dye for my hair. Clairol had Glorious Grays and Wella had a line, also, that was Silver in color. Both big name brands. Both discontinued their gray color line as not enough people were purchasing it!!!!!!!
Well, that should tell us something about how anyone with gray hair feels about it. They are all looking to dye their hair anything but silver gray!
Am I the only one who loves the silver color?
Aaaaargh....now all that is left is low lights in the white/silver hair to get some dimension in it (the gals know what I am saying, I think) $$$$.

Years ago I used Roux .It's a rinse that slightly colors your hair .I just goggled them and they are still available and they have a few siver shades .

I would use a product like that if I could find one. They have all those rinses that only last one shampoo...and I don't want that. I want something that I could do only about once a month or so. I just don't want a product that gives me BLUE hair. Hair color also improves the texture of your hair too and gray hair usually needs some texture improvement.

I don't have enough gray or silver yet for low lights but it does sound kinda fun except for the cost.

Found some ash gray hair dye by Lolane, which is a company from Thailand. You seem to have to purchase it on Ebay now. I have no idea if it looks natural or more for kids who are into the wild hair colors. Anyway, get on Ebay, punch in Lolane ash gray hair dye and take a look at it.
Several companies are handling it from Thailand. Their feedback is good, but I have a feeling it is young kids using this gray (it looks somewhat artificial to me).
Please let the board know if you have ever used this brand: Lolane. I would love to know something about it.
For stronger white or gray hair--and improve the texture of your hair (which now breaks faster being white or gray)--either go to Sally's or other beauty supply and get a glosser OR hit the local Walgreen's, CVS and other drug stores and get Clairol's Happy Shine in clear. This will make your hair shine and make it stronger. Just a tip.

Back
Top Bottom