Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I buy whatever I can find on sale. WM brand is usually the best price on decaf, Dollar General has good prices on large cans, plus $5 off $25 order and free shipping. The dollar stores also sell a brand that come in a small vacuum bag. At $1 bag ( 7oz) it's cheaper than the can. It's fine to me.

Only been in a starbucks when someone else insisted on going ( and was buying ) don't see what the attraction to starbucks is.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually grind up a weeks worth of Sam's Colombian Supremo coffee. I think it runs about $15 a 2.5 lb bag. It usually lasts me a month or two. It's good stuff!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's the grinder more than the coffee maker, IMHO.
Coffee made from whole beans, ground in a burr grinder is just so much better.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #44

Use the burr grinder daily, have settled in on SB Sumatra. Used to try other stuff to see if cheaper was as good, but decided this is what I like and don't care about saving a dime a day or whatever. I can tell the difference between a $9 and $30 bottle of wine; but have a hard time appreciating wine flavors. Coffee I'll just splurge on. Coffee and a real newspaper is part of my routine in the morning. When they quit printing them, I'm not sure what I'll do.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Free trade, grown in the shade, Starbucks brand, whole coffee beans, roasted by fairly compensated peasants, blah blah blah.

Who buys whole coffee beans anymore and grinds them just-in-time for brewing? I used to. Now I just want a cup-a-joe and am no longer willing to work that hard.

Have I passed a milestone?

Zedd
We still do. But I confess that it's DH that does all that work. And the coffee is soooooo good!

We do have a top-of-the-line grinder, and it's a button push.

I used to roast my beans - so I did give that part up
Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
I usually grind up a weeks worth of Sam's Colombian Supremo coffee. I think it runs about $15 a 2.5 lb bag. It usually lasts me a month or two. It's good stuff!
My brand as well. Not top of the line but definitely good enough for daily consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
I have a Cuisinart Grind n Brew coffee maker so I just put the beans in the hopper, press one button to start the magic and enjoy my morning cup(s) of joe in about 5-10 minutes.

If I had to grind the beans separately, I probably wouldn't do it.
Mine also has a timer; so, when I remember to set it up in the evening, I get to smell the freshly ground and brewed coffee when I wake up.

Above is my normal routine at home; but, when I am traveling, I will drink whatever is available from preground in the office to instant when camping to the occasional really good cup at a coffee house on an expense report.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #47

I looked into getting a grinder here in the Philippines and they are not an everyday item and not easy to find and I can't bring one from the USA (220 Volts). Then I read about burr grinders and how important they are to the flavor, yada yada yada. I tend to make coffee one cup at a time and was not looking forward to all the work.

But then I found a great source of Arabica ground coffee here and I am very happy with it. It costs the equivalent of $4.10 per pound. It is also sold as whole coffee beans for the same price. I have no idea what coffee costs in the USA now but I am a happy camper with ground coffee, I used to spend about 40% more for coffee here that was not as good. I like it enough that I don't brother to bring coffee back from the USA on my visits there.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #48

One pound of Arabica beans is $8.99 online at DunkinDonuts. I've seen beans at Costco, Whole Foods, etc. for twice that price.

I purchased this Bodum set which includes grinder, water heater, and french press.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
One pound of Arabica beans is $8.99 online at DunkinDonuts. I've seen beans at Costco, Whole Foods, etc. for twice that price.
Thanks, I didn't realize that my coffee was such a good deal at $4.10 per pound for Arabica. It comes in a clear generic wrapper from a large Filipino food conglomerate that specializes in Coffee and I buy it at an independent grocery market. I bought it on a whim and never dreamed it would be so good. I have never seen it anywhere else. I think it must be grown in the Philippines.

Only about 5% of coffee production in the Philippines is Arabica beans and about 50% of the demand for Arabica is met by imports. This country drinks mostly instant coffee. Apparently, even though they produce quite a bit of coffee domestically, somewhere around 20% of total coffee is imported.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Keurig offers a fill-it-yourself reusable kcup thingie so that makes it a lot less wasteful. I can't taste the difference between a keurig name-brand coffee and a drip-brewed cup of coffee, but we don't use the keurig too often. We have pressed coffee occasionally when we're in the mood for it, and grind beans occasionally when we get on that kick, and DH loves the nespresso (but that too creates waste with its prefilled cup, so not for everyone) Really the only coffee I'd normally balk at is instant, and even then I'd drink that in the morning if there were no other choices
Just rereading through this thread and I feel the same way the K-cups. I am getting a little sick of them and wanted to try the accessory for brewing with regular ground coffee. Without reading about the accessory, I just tried putting some ground coffee in the accessory coffee holder. It was terrible. Grounds in the cup, etc. Don't have the manual any more so how does this thing work? Is there some filter I have to use?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I just tried putting some ground coffee in the accessory coffee holder. It was terrible. Grounds in the cup, etc. Don't have the manual any more so how does this thing work? Is there some filter I have to use?
I use these: Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers

No grounds get through, but you do end up with a little sludge in the bottom of your cup. If that bothers you there are mini-filters available, but I found them to be more trouble than they are worth.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #52

I originally started using the MSR Mugmate portable metal/plastic coffee filter to make brewed coffee one cup at a time when I was traveling:

MSR Mugmate Coffee/Tea Filter : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

It is so good that it is all I use to make coffee now. I place it in a big coffee cup, add coffee inside the basket, pour boiled water through it, and then wait 4 minutes.

In fact, I plan to buy another when I am back in the States this summer just to have a backup.

I researched ways to make brewed coffee while traveling and the technique using the filter above won out by far. When I am on the road, I bring one of these, a dual-voltage portable immersion heater that is very light:

Lewis N Clark Dual Voltage Immersion Heater 120V 240V Travel Hot Water Portable - Amazon.com
Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I use these: Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers

No grounds get through, but you do end up with a little sludge in the bottom of your cup. If that bothers you there are mini-filters available, but I found them to be more trouble than they are worth.
Johnnie, we have this one that we picked up at Bed Bath & Beyond: http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-R...f=pd_sbs_gro_2

514HHW15KFL._SY355_.jpg

I've not used it but DH says the coffee is just fine, no grounds in it or sludge (he is not very discriminating but he would notice those!). It does say not to use finely ground coffee.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When I had to cut back on coffee, due to sensitivity to caffeine increasing with age, I decided that it was time to shell out the $$$$ for whatever coffee I like best. Quality has become more important than quantity.

So, I bought a coffee bean grinder and over a dozen brands of coffee that were highly recommended by various sources on the internet. Time for taste tests!

Turned out that the winner of my taste tests was Dunkin Donuts Original Blend, the only one that was pre-ground. This is now my coffee and I buy it pre-ground.

The coffee grinder is now relocated to the shadows at the back of the highest shelf in my kitchen.
I just finished my second cup of "W2R certified perfect coffee" (Dunkin Donuts original blend, with fresh sugar-free creamer ), and it was so delicious. It's great to find out exactly what one likes best of all, and then go for that. A truly good cup of coffee is one of the great joys of life, as far as I am concerned.

Keurig coffeemakers are fabulous, I understand, although I believe that I am one of the few whose habits are not suited to a Keurig. I use a conventional coffeemaker that makes exactly 2 mugs-full, so I can't drink more than that. I think that if I had a Keurig with the re-fillable cup then I might forget how many cups I had had, and then end up drinking too much coffee.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R - loved your post!!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #56

I also use a burr grinder and not sure why some think it's a hassle to grind whole beans. Scope some beans in the grinder and turn it on, takes about 30 seconds to grind, and you can be doing other things while the grinder is working.