Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We also have a coffee machine that has an integrated grinder. LOVE IT -- and the coffee it makes. Well worth what we paid for it (bought it used about 4 years ago).
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Dunkin for us too, although on occasion when visiting Burlington VT we stop by a place called Speeder & Earl's and stock up on whatever sumatra/java/kona/deepjungle whole bean concoction they're featuring that day. We used the Wayback machine and bought a good ol' fashioned stainless steel electric percolator on a whim, and we love it. (Too many episodes of Mad Men I guess.) Coffee is always hot and strong, but it took some practice to prevent grounds in the cup.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are pretty much a Costco Kirkland ground coffee family. It is convenient and cheaper than some brands.

We do splurge for exotic stuff now and then. We have a bag of beans from the JailHouse. Actually came from Addington Coffee, so it is fair trade.

If we had a dedicated grinder, we would probably use more beans.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Still being a slave to the time clock, I drink Costco canned coffee during the week, but grind my own (again, Costco) beans on the weekend, when I can begin the day in a more leisurely fashion.

I use a regular old drip coffeemaker and a rotary blade grinder. (How gauche!)

Have a Keurig I got as a gift, but rarely use it due to cost and waste...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We both drink coffee, and buy whole beans and grind fresh every morning. Doesn't seem that difficult. Moderate quality beans fresh ground make better coffee and than superior ground coffee to us.

Keurig never appealled to us, unnecessary waste and cost without a better brewed cup. Convenience is a priority in some things, but not always.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee-wine-beer enter yours here.

Chi mangia bene, viva bene.

YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

After many years with a rotary grinder I bought a burr grinder at Costco last year. Now I fill it with locally roasted beans about once a week. In the morning I put some water in the electric kettle, push a button on the grinder and it grinds the amount I asked for, plunk it in the cone filter and pour over. I agree with Ha, there is something to the ritual, although I drink mine along with the NYT online.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I want to stop the daily grind, so I can start the daily grind.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
I want to stop the daily grind, so I can start the daily grind.
Great motto!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
We also have a coffee machine that has an integrated grinder. LOVE IT -- and the coffee it makes. Well worth what we paid for it (bought it used about 4 years ago).
Same for us, every cup is nice and fresh and we think it makes a difference. I usually drink about two cups a day, in the morning. Once in a while, I'll have a cup in the afternoon.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Coffee is one of my indulgences - I have a monthly subscription lb. shipped (from Alterra in Milwaukee), and grind it fresh for each pot. I've cut back to about a pot a day - we used to have awful coffee at work, so I started the habit of having a couple of cups before work, and taking the rest in a thermos. I also received a nespresso machine as a christmas gift last year - I really like it for espresso. I like espresso, but the addiitional work and cleanup for a steam espresso machine was always past my tolerance point. I'd recommend a nespresso machine to anyone who is considering something of the sort. Not cheap enough for my daily coffee drinking, but well worth it (to me) for the occasional espresso or decaf, or for a guest, or when I just want one cup of coffee.
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been grinding my own beans every morning for about 25 years, and taking it to work in a thermos. Cheaper and tastes better than buying Starbucks or whatever is brewed at the office. I switched to decaf about 12 years ago, and with quality beans the taste and aroma is just as good as the regular brew. I recently bought a quality burr grinder that is super-easy to use. The difference in taste compared to pre-ground coffee is worth the extra 15 seconds to wait. Hey, while the grinder is running I'm filling the pot with water so it's really no time at all!
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #32

I have a burr grinder, but I have been buying ground coffee as I am lazy. I drink about 3 weak cups of coffee in the a.m., before I leave for the office. This is it for my coffee consumption for the day. I have been purchasing Peets, Dunkin Donuts, Seattle's Best or whatever is a dollar or two off that week at the grocery.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #33

Warning: potential thread killer to follow.

Gee, some folks relationship with their cup of coffee is almost orgasmic.

All I want is a cup-of-joe.

Zedd
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #34

I drink a lot of coffee (6-8 cups a day). At home I use Folgers Classic Decaf 99.7% caffeine free (in the green container). I went on decaf about two years ago. I didn't notice any withdrawal symptoms from a lack of caffeine. I used to say that I had to drink coffee in the evening to stay awake until bedtime. For flavor, I can't tell the difference between well-prepared decaf and regular.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We both drink coffee, and buy whole beans and grind fresh every morning. Doesn't seem that difficult. Moderate quality beans fresh ground make better coffee and than superior ground coffee to us.

Keurig never appealled to us, unnecessary waste and cost without a better brewed cup. Convenience is a priority in some things, but not always.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee-wine-beer enter yours here.

Chi mangia bene, viva bene.

YMMV
Keurig offers a fill-it-yourself reusable kcup thingie so that makes it a lot less wasteful. I can't taste the difference between a keurig name-brand coffee and a drip-brewed cup of coffee, but we don't use the keurig too often. We have pressed coffee occasionally when we're in the mood for it, and grind beans occasionally when we get on that kick, and DH loves the nespresso (but that too creates waste with its prefilled cup, so not for everyone) Really the only coffee I'd normally balk at is instant, and even then I'd drink that in the morning if there were no other choices
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #36

I mainly drink Trader Joes Low-Acid Coffee. Sometimes, I buy Puroast low-acid coffee on-line. But, the Puroast is kind of pricey. I usually drink about two cups a day. I grind my coffee about once a week. Never drink instant. I put soy creamer (French Vanilla) in with the coffee. Makes me happy.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #37

If the beans didn't pass through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet, it's not real coffee!

(I didn't even know about such things until a coffee snob friend of mine told me about it, LOL)
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I don't drink coffee, but DW prefers to buy whole beans and grind them fresh every time she makes her coffee (French Press). That's not what she always does, but that's what she prefers.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

doubles as a drip coffee filter
allanlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #40

After 21 years in the army I will happily drink ANY coffee. I have relatives who live way past the end of the hard paved road who say that coffee tastes bitter if brewed with electricity.