Ground coffee anyone.

zedd

Full time employment: Posting here.
Free trade, grown in the shade, Starbucks brand, whole coffee beans, roasted by fairly compensated peasants, blah blah blah.

Who buys whole coffee beans anymore and grinds them just-in-time for brewing? I used to. Now I just want a cup-a-joe and am no longer willing to work that hard.

Have I passed a milestone?

Zedd

I don't always drink coffee anymore, but if I do, it's my longtime favorite brand that I grind en masse when I buy it.

Listen to me: sounds like that guy in the Dos Equis spot.

I buy coffee beans and grind them once or twice a week as needed. I store the ground coffee in an airtight can in the fridge. I brew my coffee in a simple drip coffeemaker and enjoy the aroma and taste of freshly ground coffee. I do not use anything that involves single serve packaging, which I consider to be wasteful.

Last edited:
We used to grind freshly roasted whole beans, but now we just use the K-cup.

Who buys whole coffee beans anymore and grinds them just-in-time for brewing? I used to. Now I just want a cup-a-joe and am no longer willing to work that hard.

That's what your spouse is for.

I have a Cuisinart Grind n Brew coffee maker so I just put the beans in the hopper, press one button to start the magic and enjoy my morning cup(s) of joe in about 5-10 minutes.

If I had to grind the beans separately, I probably wouldn't do it.

Fresh ground or not, for my money, nothing beats the simply delicious french press cup o joe.

This is how coffee was meant to be drunk or drank or intravenously injected.

I have a Cuisinart Grind n Brew coffee maker so I just put the beans in the hopper, press one button to start the magic and enjoy my morning cup(s) of joe in about 5-10 minutes.

If I had to grind the beans separately, I probably wouldn't do it.

Used to have something like that but it had a programmable timer.

So the timer goes off at oh-dark-thirty, the grinder kicks in, the dogs wake howling and chasing down the stairs, DW is awake and uhm mad...

All I want is a cup-of-joe.

Zedd

When I had to cut back on coffee, due to sensitivity to caffeine increasing with age, I decided that it was time to shell out the $$$$ for whatever coffee I like best. Quality has become more important than quantity.

So, I bought a coffee bean grinder and over a dozen brands of coffee that were highly recommended by various sources on the internet. Time for taste tests! :)

Turned out that the winner of my taste tests was Dunkin Donuts Original Blend, the only one that was pre-ground. This is now my coffee and I buy it pre-ground.

The coffee grinder is now relocated to the shadows at the back of the highest shelf in my kitchen.

I grind every morning and use the Aeropress system. I am retired; I like these little rituals. I even get the print WSJ each morning, and my neighbor picks it up at the main door around 6 and drops it at my apartment.

Ha

I tend to go back and forth between beans and pre-ground. I like the beans and grinding it myself but I travel in my RV a lot and tend not to go with the beans in the RV. I fall into a rut and go one way or the other for months at a time then switch again... That's real decisive isn't it?

I like to grind my own beans. Partly because I can buy the beans at a local shop that roasts their beans into 10 or so large barrels that you can lift the lid, and get a good whiff. Just this morning I was debating about a second grinder for winter home, but it may break my rule.

We also have a coffee machine that has an integrated grinder. LOVE IT -- and the coffee it makes. Well worth what we paid for it (bought it used about 4 years ago).

Dunkin for us too, although on occasion when visiting Burlington VT we stop by a place called Speeder & Earl's and stock up on whatever sumatra/java/kona/deepjungle whole bean concoction they're featuring that day. We used the Wayback machine and bought a good ol' fashioned stainless steel electric percolator on a whim, and we love it. (Too many episodes of Mad Men I guess.) Coffee is always hot and strong, but it took some practice to prevent grounds in the cup.

We are pretty much a Costco Kirkland ground coffee family. It is convenient and cheaper than some brands.

We do splurge for exotic stuff now and then. We have a bag of beans from the JailHouse. Actually came from Addington Coffee, so it is fair trade.

If we had a dedicated grinder, we would probably use more beans.

Still being a slave to the time clock, I drink Costco canned coffee during the week, but grind my own (again, Costco) beans on the weekend, when I can begin the day in a more leisurely fashion.

I use a regular old drip coffeemaker and a rotary blade grinder. (How gauche!)

Have a Keurig I got as a gift, but rarely use it due to cost and waste...

We both drink coffee, and buy whole beans and grind fresh every morning. Doesn't seem that difficult. Moderate quality beans fresh ground make better coffee and than superior ground coffee to us.

Keurig never appealled to us, unnecessary waste and cost without a better brewed cup. Convenience is a priority in some things, but not always.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee-wine-beer enter yours here.

Chi mangia bene, viva bene.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom