Join Early Retirement Today

Growing old
Old 03-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Growing old

Watched the early show this morning and closing out the show was Kenny Rogers singing the Gambler, I DIDN"T EVEN RECOGNIZE HIM! If no one has seen him lately you wouldn't believe it was even him. I guess I want to age like that!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Growing old
Old 03-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
Watched the early show this morning and closing out the show was Kenny Rogers singing the Gambler, I DIDN"T EVEN RECOGNIZE HIM!* If no one has seen him lately you wouldn't believe it was even him.* I guess I want to age like that!
Yes... I saw him a week or so on I believe 60 minutes... Showed him with a VERY YOUNG wife and two small boys... just what you want when you retire!!

Old 03-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #3

And I think he would be the first to admit - 'That he still can't sing'
Old 03-24-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Kenny R. is 67 years old and had a TON of plastic surgery. He was on an entertainment show the other night and stated he is in the running with "Joan Rivers." Also, he has been married five times.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:09 PM   #5

xxxx
Old 03-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyApe
What about the material girl? Have you seen her lately?
We used to call her the venereal girl. We changed the words to her song too.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Matuna.

Yep, Kenny's had a ton of work, and openly admits it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in...

KR

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had the opportunity/misfortune to spend about five hours ina dermatology office this past week (DH got varicose vein surgery---not for cosmetic purposes, but because the coctor convinced him that they would get worse and lead to dire medical consequences, like skin ulcers). It was amazing how many women (and a few men) over 35 were getting antiaging procedures. The doctor doesn't do plastic surgery per se, but all the botox, laser, etc. They looked perfectly fine but seemed obsessed with even the slighest wrinkle or skin discoloration. Don't know if it's too much time or money on their hands---or both. But one things for sure: this generation is not going to grow old gracefully or cheaply!
I'd rather save my money and be able to RE. (It seems like some of these cosmetic things only go so far anyway. Either they don't look natural, like that startled look from facelifts and eye jobs, or they look okay but just results in someone looking good for their age, but still looking that age. There is no cosmetic surgery that will make someone 50 look like 20.)
Old 03-26-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, Tangomaster, I do agree on the changed look. When I saw Mr. Rogers on the tv I thought he had a Leona Helmsley look to him. I honestly thought to myself, "who is this person singing this Kenny Rogers song?" I guess one benefit of the operation will be that when he dies they won't have to worry about laying him out straight as he probably can't bend over now without popping a few stiches.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:46 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

That explains the goatee.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
That explains the goatee.
It's a soul patch
Old 03-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Tiz... ?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
It's a soul patch
Keep turning that knob and it'll be a sole patch eventually...
Old 03-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are plenty of folks that I've seen on TV and in real life that simply refuse to grow old. I'd count myself among them when I'm ready for a little nip/tuck. It's not that I'd be desperate to hang onto my youth (as many people do out of regret over things left undone), but rather simply because medical science would allow me to do so.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #16

Although I do agree that some take it to the extreme, I see nothing wrong with using the technology available to maintain your looks or make life easier. I love what they can do with lasers these days.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #17

Never thought about until just now.

Primarily because of my thinning hair, I have been shaving my head for several years. Since I hope to spend a lot of time in Thailand, I wonder if at 58, it's not too late for me to get hair transplants there. I assume it would considerably cheaping than the USA.

What do you think ?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ

Primarily because of my thinning hair, I have been shaving my head for several years. Since I hope to spend a lot of time in Thailand, I wonder if at 58, it's not too late for me to get hair transplants there. I assume it would considerably cheaping than the USA.

What do you think ?*
I think you would look good with the afro. You could then walk around saying "obey your thirst" and "show them my motto"
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:14 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Old 03-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ

What do you think ?

Or, you could have your whole head lasered and not have to shave it anymore!