Join Early Retirement Today

Had a horrible nightmare about work last night
Old 04-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Had a horrible nightmare about work last night

I'm coming up on 3 years retired... but not in my dream last night.

I had gone back to work - but of course it was nothing like my old workplace... But I had a sense that it was paying ok and the work was ok... but then the company was sold to new owners. (That fits my real world history - we changed corporate names and ownership 5 times or so in the 20 years I spent working for the same place).

The new owners were not so nice... They were firing people with fabricated reasons - and turning them over to law enforcement to jail them... or worse - killing them. My coworkers and I were very upset about this and when we complained the security guards started guarding our work room with guns out.

I decided I didn't need the money and tried to find HR to give my resignation - but they'd killed the HR rep. I decided to skip the notice step and went to the "shed" where I kept my bicycle... to ride home... but they'd moved the door out to where the shed was. I went to the lobby and started screaming about how they'd stolen the employees bicycles and they started chasing me with guns.

Then I woke up.

Can I just say that I'm REALLY glad I don't work anymore... And that this dream-employer was not real!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #2

Yeah, that's a bad work dream!

Old 04-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recall having a really bad work nightmare once......luckily my boss came by and woke me up.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #4

Wow, that's some nightmare. Hope it was a one-and-done occurrence.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
what a vivid dream
Old 04-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #5

what a vivid dream

do you usually dream in this sort of detail?
Old 04-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I recall having a really bad work nightmare once......luckily my boss came by and woke me up.
LOL!
too funny
Old 04-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #7

too funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Old 04-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #8

Wow, that's a really bad dream. I rarely dream about work, only some people at work that I might have issue with, but in my dreams, it's not work related.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess realizing that I didn't attend class and it is time for the final pales in comparison to having your bicycle stolen! Well, and the whole guards and guns thing...

As near as I can remember, I have never had a work related dream since leaving megacorp 4 years ago. But the struggling with finals in a class that I did not attend and ending up naked in public continues to happen at a regular basis.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

After 2 years of blissful retirement, I still have work related dreams (nightmares) related to work. Maybe it will fade soon, who knows?
Old 04-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #11

Rodi - you need to write a book!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I happened to also have a dream about work last night.

I was lured back to the company for some kind of presentation. My former boss then invited me to go to a bar to have a talk. I had the feeling that he wanted me back, so went along to see what kind of offer he was going to make. I was really curious to hear the dollar amount.

Before I could find out what the offer was, I needed to pee so woke up.

PS. In real life, that former boss already retired. I don't know the guy who took his place.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

I suggest listening to the Extended Play version of Steppenwolf Magic Carpet Ride!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You w*rked there too? I really wish they would leave me alone.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #15

Come to think of it I do have periodic employment related dreams, (wouldn't really classify them as nightmares), and although they might be years apart they always follow a basic format:

I'm walking into a large busy office area, (in a company that I presume I work for), that looks vaguely familiar, and there are people there whom I think I know, and others whom I think I might know. A veritable hive of activity. Everyone else appears to be totally engrossed in whatever projects they are undertaking and are all emanating sublime confidence.

I, however, don't even know what the company does, although I suspect that my role is somehow sales related.

Someone, whom I presume is my superior, hands me a file about two feet thick, that I've never read, and I'm evidently heading for a meeting at a company I've never heard of and don't have clue one about.

Next thing, I'm on a city bus, because said corporation is apparently downtown - I open the file, look up and realize the bus is in the middle of nowhere; I'm the only passenger and there isn't a building in sight.

That's when I always wake up.

(Now that I reflect upon it it's not really that different from my actual day to day work experiences.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that was some nightmare. I've had w*rk nightmares but never of killings.

In my nightmares, I'm still w*rking, have been for months under the condition that I've been doing so voluntarily, without pay. At least just before waking up I realize that I've retired and am free.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I decided I didn't need the money and tried to find HR to give my resignation - but they'd killed the HR rep. I decided to skip the notice step and [...]
Definitely the right decision to skip giving notice, under the circumstances! Wow, what an awful dream. I think that's the worst work dream I have ever heard about.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
...I went to the lobby and started screaming about how they'd stolen the employees bicycles and they started chasing me with guns. ...
If this had been a Stand Your Ground dream (think Florida), you could have stopped, pulled out your superior firepower, and neutralized the threat.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #19

6 years out and still occasionally have dreams that are w__k related. My career didn't have many nightmare events (well, there was the one time I got fired but that's OK) but there were certainly stressful events. When dreams include w__k it just generally p___ses me off because it's like "I thought I was DONE with that."

I've concluded there is really no understanding dreams and why we have them. Your brain is full of memories, and it you w__rked you have plenty of memories related to that. I'm no neurologist but my conclusion is that when you sleep dreams are nothing more than a random coupling of stored bytes of memory, sort of like an armature in a hard drive just skipping around connection different stuff together. My dreams really make no sense whatsoever. The ones I hate relate to very tall buildings and elevators, neither of which I'm comfortable in.

If it's any comfort I've found the longer I'm gone the fewer dreams relate to w__k. Some can be quite vivid upon waking but after a few hours they fade.