Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2016, 05:12 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Some people love to work, some people need to work, and some people don't have the guts to quit and not work. I don't fall in to any of those categories
I have a very dear friend, a single mom, who works as a waitress 4 nights a week, but less than 32 hours. College educated, hard worker, but made a few mistakes along the way. I got her an interview at a local business, which she passed with flying colors, and was offered a job 40+ hours a week @ $15.00/hr, with medical, 401k on the spot.

She declined; she had previously showed me her finances. With her job, the baby's father medical plan, the aid to infants, and increased cost of child care, she would need $19.10/ hour to "break even".

So there are also folks that want to work, but it doesn't pay to work.

She recently did find a job, starting at $20.00/hour.

Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 05:50 AM   #22

Some are very indoctrinated in their career choice. My first job was teaching high school. When I quit (4 years later), to go into the insurance business, my Principal looked at me blankly and said "but what are you going to DO?". Like there was no life outside teaching. I have no doubt he retired after 40 years on the job.

brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #23

I think one's attitude towards work changes over time. I loved my career when I started and for quite a while after. But eventually most people get tired of it. Wise not to wait until you get tired of work to start planning for retirement as it can come on pretty suddenly.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

This whole working after your "retire" or never actually completely stopping work seems to coincide with the introduction of defined contribution retirement plans. Has the culture really changed or are so many people unable to retire as they get older that they keep tellings themselves and everyone else its better to always work in some form? More of a denial and refusal to admit you can't have what you want than people really wanting to work if you ask me.
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I went to a Halloween party with my girlfriend Saturday and I was the only retired person there. Yup, the usual "what do you do"?
Interesting. I got that a lot when I FIREd at 50, but now that I'm 60 I think at least half the people I know are retired. Some are older, but many are my age. On my camping trip last weekend there was only one worker out of 6 campers. I don't do a lot of random socialization, so maybe mine is a outlier group. But I also don't get the "you're too young to be retired" anymore either. At least not too often.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
This whole working after your "retire" or never actually completely stopping work seems to coincide with the introduction of defined contribution retirement plans. Has the culture really changed or are so many people unable to retire as they get older that they keep tellings themselves and everyone else its better to always work in some form? More of a denial and refusal to admit you can't have what you want than people really wanting to work if you ask me.
You are absolutely right Green with that observation. I have noticed that too. I do not know how people can drift along their whole working lives and be ignorant of what to do to prepare for a retirement or older age. Many people live totally in the present.

I do not have many people ask about what I do all day long being retired. I post on Facebook to many of my real friends and they all say that they want to be in my shoes. I planned all along for retirement and was ready to jump ship when I became eligible. I always felt like I was being held back from the things I wanted to do and the job was always in the way, but not any more!
Old 10-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I wonder how many people really love their jobs? I loved my jobs when I had to work. But when I think back now, I wonder if it was just rationalizing. I got a personal sense of satisfaction out of them (status and recognition) but when I retired, I realized that I am self-actualizing and don't react well to Pavlovian rewards including external recognition.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I wonder how many people really love their jobs? I loved my jobs when I had to work. But when I think back now, I wonder if it was just rationalizing. I got a personal sense of satisfaction out of them (status and recognition) but when I retired, I realized that I am self-actualizing and don't react well to Pavlovian rewards including external recognition.
I think I still love my current job after 10 years. It is the difficult relationship with my boss that is driving me out many years earlier than I otherwise planned. Lucky to be FI so I have that flexibility. Guess I'm not enough self-actualizing to survive a bad boss any longer.
SilentWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #29

Since I've never worked a job I would do for free, I'll say I've never loved any job.
exnavynuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:33 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
since i've never worked a job i would do for free, i'll say i've never loved any job.
+1. Lol
eastnortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #31

One reason we even began *thinking* about ER, not to mention actually *doing* something about it, was because my opinion about my job shifted. It was a wake-up call kind of moment. I'm sure it was precipitated by something my boss said or did, but I had a full sense of just how lowly a cog I was in the overall machinery. There was *ZERO* long-term significance to my work. I kept things humming so people could collect taxes, hand out forms, itemize, categorize, etc. Then they would do it all again the next day/week/month/year ad infinitum. Once I ran across the ER concept, it didn't take much convincing.

When I took my current job to finish up my pension vesting, there was never any illusion about it. Do my time, then as soon as the wife hits her retirement date, bam - we're out. I also just figured out that we'll start our retirement taking home *more* than I'm currently making. So our very initial meager pension checks will be more than our current income. Then every couple of years we pile on another pension or SS payment. I really can't imagine a scenario where I would go back to work after that.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Guess I'm not enough self-actualizing to survive a bad boss any longer.
I had to endure a VP that did not like me. He was fired in 2 years and my life got better. He was in a different city so day-to-day impact was minimal. It was also early in my career.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

My favorite reply when people ask me "how is it you can retire at 54?" is "Because I decided to 30 years ago."
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
You are absolutely right Green with that observation. I have noticed that too. I do not know how people can drift along their whole working lives and be ignorant of what to do to prepare for a retirement or older age. Many people live totally in the present.
I see this very often and it makes me a bit sad. I understand that there may be a very small minority of folks that do REALLY love their j*bs and just "keep on keeping on!" but I think it's usually out of necessity.

I have mentioned my DW's boss before. She is in her mid 70's and having some issues with dementia. She also has a pretty sick husband (he's been retired for several years) but yet she just WILL NOT RETIRE. The DW's office has gone through a merger so they are left with just 3 people and the boss told my DW that she probably won't be able to take off the week of Christmas since there just isn't enough coverage in the office. My DW told her, "Yep, that's not going to happen. Either I get the time off, or you can consider this my 2 month notice...your choice." Her boss then tried to preach that this is the best j*b in the world and why would she risk losing it over "just a little time off". The DW told her that family would ALWAYS come before w*rk and that was the way it was going to be. As of this week, it sounds like they are going to give her the time off...which disappoints me. I was *really* hoping she'd get canned so she would FINALLY join me in this FIREd adventure!

Quote:
I think you are onto something. For *years* I said that I LOVE MY J*B!!! It was an easy sell...I got to fly big expensive jets all around the world and see cool stuff. If you *had* to have a j*ob, well, it wasn't a bad way to earn some money. BUT...being 2 years removed from it (as fun as I thought it was!), it would take a significant AND I MEAN SIGNIFICANT amount of $$$ or some crazy benefit to convince me to do it again. So, in the end, even one of the coolest, funnest j*bs in the world...was still a j*b.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #35

For 43 years, whichever boss I had would say jump and I would ask "how high?" I could never convince myself that I loved that and now they're paying me to nap.

What do I love? I love retirement checks. I earned them and if I could be retired 43 years, it would only be fair. Probably won't make it, though I shall keep trying.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I post on Facebook to many of my real friends and they all say that they want to be in my shoes.
Further confirming why I have nothing to do with Fb. I don't want & certainly don't need people telling me what they think of me being retired - or anything else. Just too much connection for me. Thank you.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #37

Quote:
I did enjoy my job up into about halfway through my career. I was pretty much locked in by that time and jumping ship to another field would set me back too much financially and time-wise. You have to be realistic and even though job satisfaction is important, money is what buys freedom and self reliance. I think most people don't like their jobs and are stuck. But, I do not know why they don't funnel that dissatisfaction into a positive situation of planning and investing their way to an eventual escape. Looking back on it, that's what my job did for me and I am grateful for that. I was never plugged in about awards in the job unless it involved cash. I realize now that working for money messes things up. Working a passion is not work.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #38

I don't think anyone loves their job.

Not really, not like you would love your wife or your children or even your dog.

It's enough to like your job me thinks. That's good enough eh?

A lot better than those that hate their jobs.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I loved my paycheck. Is that good enough?
Old 10-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I don't think anyone loves their job.
Know a few people who own their own business. They plan to keep it as long as they're able to work & are excited to go in & be at work. If that's not love, OK.

gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote