Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Re: Handling the "just one more year..." syndrome
Old 01-11-2007, 07:51 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a terrific thread. (Especially for newbies) Should be in the "Best of" section

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit
This is a terrific thread. (Especially for newbies) Should be in the "Best of" section
Does this thread rise to the level that it should go into the "best of" section? What do others think?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Its definitely a keeper. Its THE pivotal decision.

I'd have probably kept working had it not been for two things. First was my company paid 3 month sabbatical after 7 years of service. The old saw about a frog slowly heated in a pot of water not realizing the water was hot, but you throw a frog into a pot of already hot water, it'll realize it and jump back out. This frog never noticed how hot the water was until he spent 90 days relaxing outside of work. The sudden shock of being thrown back into the hot water was really eye opening.

I saw how much well accepted crap I dealt with daily. How much of the job stress existed and how much was self and organizationally created. How unproductive a lot of time spent was.

Not long after that the company offered an open invitation for anyone who wanted to accept a separation package - one years pay with benefits. Not long after that they sweetened the deal a little and I took it. Once I fended off attempts to talk me out of it, I walked.

I figured...free years paid vacation and since I burned no bridges...I can always go back. With an added bonus baby...all my stock options were underwater from the 2000 tech stock dive, and by leaving and waiting a year to return my options would all be repriced!

Three months later I ran the numbers 92 ways from sunday...figured out with a little finagling I didnt need to go back. And I didnt want to.

Now, if you LOVE your job, LOVE the way you do it and the people you do it with, been away from it for a while and had the chance to see it with a fresh perspective and still loved it, it pays great, its very rewarding, yada yada yada...maybe you oughta stay in school.

Otherwise...dont sweat it. If you were smart enough to get to the point where you could financially and emotionally consider walking away from work, you'll make it. You're smart enough to plan, improvise and succeed.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

DEFINITELY should go in the "Best of" section!

Reminds me of a mentality I see a lot at the prison,,,,,"I'm staying now just so I can tell them to kiss my @$$ and walk out when they p!$$ me off." Huh!?!? Personally I just think they are scared.

And then they wonder why Hollywood portrays us as abusive, knuckle-dragging, Neanderthal sadists. It's simple, do your 20, hit age 50, and go home to live happily ever-after.

"So simple a caveman can do it."
Old 01-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

My late husband was always running the one more year calculations so he waited an extra four years to retire. He died suddenly two years later.
Enjoy life while you have the chance !
Old 01-11-2007, 09:02 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
Its definitely a keeper. Its THE pivotal decision.

I saw how much well accepted crap I dealt with daily. How much of the job stress existed and how much was self and organizationally created. How unproductive a lot of time spent was.

Now, if you LOVE your job, LOVE the way you do it and the people you do it with, been away from it for a while and had the chance to see it with a fresh perspective and still loved it, it pays great, its very rewarding, yada yada yada...maybe you oughta stay in school.

Otherwise...dont sweat it. If you were smart enough to get to the point where you could financially and emotionally consider walking away from work, you'll make it. You're smart enough to plan, improvise and succeed.
Bingo. I never expected or planned to retire. Then one day I did. Once out, I realized that a huge percentage of the daily machinations were unnecessary and stressful. I could not imagine going back, and I am not one of the forum members who thinks w*rk is a bad word. In fact, I think the opposite. Just has to be the right kind, has to be productive. A lot of modern day corporate employees are trapped by golden handcuffs, daily doing pointless stuff, and they know it. Never leave a job if you love it. Why would you? Of course the reverse is true. Never stay at one you hate, if you have the means to move on.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Very sorry for your loss, and that reminds me...

While I was evaluating my numbers on my years paid vacation, two guys I had worked with died. One was in his late 30's and discovered inoperable liver cancer shortly after the birth of his second daughter and was gone a few months later. The other discovered lung cancer a month after he followed my lead and retired...in his early 50's.

That sunk it for me.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
I am not one of the forum members who thinks w*rk is a bad word. In fact, I think the opposite. Just has to be the right kind, has to be productive.
Same here. I do all the house/car maintenance/repair/upgrades and those are 100% productive.

And if someone feels the need to do a little more? Have a baby. You'll have plenty to do. After chasing a two year old around the neighborhood all day I start reminiscing about going back to driving a desk for a measly 10 hours.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Definately one of the "Best of " It was great to look at these posts. I've the same delima. Fire Calc success at 100% at 60, 97% at 59, 95 % at 58 and 60% today at 57. Looks like one more year
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

The reason for wanting to RE is that life is SHORT

In order to feel secure about RE planning, we need to assume life is LONG

No wonder we're so confused!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis
The reason for wanting to RE is that life is SHORT

In order to feel secure about RE planning, we need to assume life is LONG

No wonder we're so confused!
I think you need to think of a quality life until age 85 or so in which you can do anything you want without any consideration of health. So if you are out at 50 you have 35 great years to play. Then another few years to mellow out.

I think people defer the decision because of fear:
1) I might outlive my money
2) I might not like it
3) I cannot turn back.

Think of the uncertainty we dealt with in our teens and twenties. It is only the job experience that reduced our desire for uncertainty (and maybe an improved appreciation of consequences).

In fact, maybe the whole RE decision is about accepting uncertainty?