Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Happiness and why we do the things we do
Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
It's also amazing how physical activity can quiet the mind. I find yoga to be amazingly effective in this regard.
back in college my thinking tended to be a bit scattered, hardly centered. my buddhist monk-turned-publisher cousin told me that whenever i had trouble organizing my thoughts i should instead organize a drawer, a room, the house. that i could help control how i function internally by changing how i function on the outside.

my mother told me something similar. she said if i kept smiling, that eventually it would get inside.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
my mother told me something similar. she said if i kept smiling, that eventually it would get inside.
It works for me! And it drives some people crazy, too.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #23
Administrator

It has been my observation that most people are about as happy as they decide to be. I can't always change my circumstances, but I can change my attitude about them and the face that I present to the world. I have found that if I am outwardly cheerful and positive over the course of the day, I will become happy even if I didn't wake up that way. And I have observed that people who constantly bitch and moan do nothing but compound their own unhappiness.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
It has been my observation that most people are about as happy as they decide to be. I can't always change my circumstances, but I can change my attitude about them and the face that I present to the world. I have found that if I am outwardly cheerful and positive over the course of the day, I will become happy even if I didn't wake up that way. And I have observed that people who constantly bitch and moan do nothing but compound their own unhappiness.
AMEN!!!

I always present a happy/cheerful 'face' outwardly, and it does seem to work itself inward (IF for some odd reason I'm not already happy/cheerful inside already....which is seldom). I've also learned that if you present yourself as happy/cheerful, and you're around those who "constantly bitch and moan"....it drives them NUTZ!!! They HATE it!!! Therefore , they will try to avoid you, so they can remain unhappy! At least that's the way it is at w*ork.

I'm always the first one into w*rk in the morning....open the place up and unlock everything. When the GrumpMeister (the unhappiest of our "play" mates) come in, I ALWAYS greet him with a "GOOOOD MOOORNING!!!!!"....it irritates the h*ll out him and he 'flips me off' EVERY morning....but, MOST IMPORTANTLY it keeps him away from me ALL DAY!!!

I guess it goes back to what I learned 'a hundred years ago' in Sunday school.....light can ALWAYS over-power the darkness, but darkness can NEVER over-power light. I think happiness works the same way! IMHO .... .... .... .... .... ....
Old 01-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys for all your suggestions and thanks for going to the trouble, much appreciated

Claire
Old 01-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #26

In addition to all the good suggestions above, I think that happiness is not taking anything, yourself or what others do to you, seriously. When my grandfather was 51, the government took away his farm (his version of FIRE) and threw him in a prison camp along with the whole family, including my mom. They both never complained about it and when they were released, let go of the experience. It really has served as a guide of how to act for me as well as put my "problems" into perspective.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
In addition to all the good suggestions above, I think that happiness is not taking anything, yourself or what others do to you, seriously. When my grandfather was 51, the government took away his farm (his version of FIRE) and threw him in a prison camp along with the whole family, including my mom. They both never complained about it and when they were released, let go of the experience. It really has served as a guide of how to act for me as well as put my "problems" into perspective.
Japanese Interrment Centers in the U.SA. ?

Sad chapter in our history.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Japanese Interrment Centers in the U.SA. ?

Sad chapter in our history.
Yes, but the interesting thing was that it never made them sad. They figured that it would get straightened out in the end and it did. I think that my generation makes a bigger deal out of it. But my grandparents was what made them happy (and live to be 101 and 93 respectively).
Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Once a year I reread a book by Richard Carlson, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff... and its all small stuff." Sadly, the author (age 45), passed away on December 13th while enroute to New York to promote his latest book. Dr. Carlson is a world renowned expert in happiness. If you're interested in this subject, it's worth your time to read this bestseller.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
if you are not happy with yourself neither good clergy nor good fornication will make you any happier.
Good fornication with clergy. Now THAT's where you'll find happiness. Hah!

-CC
Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #31

Yakers
Quote:
Claire, I would suggest looking into meditation.
Eagle43
Quote:
They found that 9 out of 10 of the most positive 25 percent of the nuns were still alive at 85, while only one-third of the least positive 25 percent were. Overall, their study showed positive emotions correlated to a 10-year increase in life span, greater even than the differential between smokers and nonsmokers.
I’ve been reading a lot about the chemistry of emotions lately. Dr. Candace Pert Ph.D. is an expert on this topic. She can translate what she has proven in the laboratory into ‘lay-speak’ so, for me, she is easy enough to follow.

Activities like meditation or getting into the ‘flow’ release different chemicals than activities like stress, fight-or-flight circumstances, anger and fear. One set builds up the immune system and the other set tears it down. Now, remember, she is speaking on a chemical, cellular level here..

So if we become exposed to a disease or the ‘flu’ for instance, it’s our immune system that can deal with this problem easily, or not, depending on its state of health.

Lazygood4nothin
Quote:
my buddhist monk-turned-publisher cousin told me that whenever i had trouble organizing my thoughts i should instead organize a drawer, a room, the house. that i could help control how i function internally by changing how i function on the outside
I love this. I think this approach is the same as what Karen Kingston presents in her Clearing Clutter books. Clean out the closets, the junk drawers, the garage, and presto (sort of… ) one’s life falls into a better position.. It does seem to help with the chaos in life...

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 01-09-2007, 02:05 AM   #32

I found this blog some time ago:
http://www.happinessproject.typepad.com/

It provides lots of interesting ideas on how to do things that make you happy - and to realize that you are happy while you are.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:36 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008
I found this blog some time ago:
http://www.happinessproject.typepad.com/

It provides lots of interesting ideas on how to do things that make you happy - and to realize that you are happy while you are.
Chris2008:

Thanks for pointing out the above blog. Got a good idea from it: Tomorrow I am going to the store to buy some good quality pillows to replace my old ones, which I have had for way too long and have gone flat. I'm sure I'll be a lot happier once I get some new fluffy pillows!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #34

What a great link!

I know I'm going to enjoy this immensely in the days to come. She gives some very thoughtful suggestions. Thanks for sharing!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 01-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire
how do you stop playing "mental movies" of the past when such thoughts run like an automatic train through one's head?
I highly recommend the techniques in Brian Tracey's book "Maximum Achievement."