Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Nope. Left when I was 19 and have lived in 8 states since then and Europe. Have not been back since 2005, there is nothing there for me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are moving back to the town our children were born and where we were most happy, in North Yorkshire....
Just the way you describe it makes me think you were able to be happy no matter where you lived between then and now, but to return to the "most happy" place is wonderful--not running away from a miserable place, but running toward the happiest one.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I am rather rootless myself- could happily move back to Louisiana- (I miss the food). I could move to a lot of other places as well, but my husband is NOT rootless and says he's not moving anywhere, so I will be staying in AL. BTW- it seems like about half the population of Minnesota, Michigan and places like that show up here for the winter- if you don't really have ties to your home town, perhaps think about living somewhere you don't have to flee the winter weather!
Old 09-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I don't know where you hung out in MN, but I disagree with your comments about the heaving drinking to call it prominent is incorrect ,you find pockets of drinking cultures everywhere, except maybe in Utah.Blaming it on winter is also wrong....if you drink too much and blame it on weather, I'm calling foul.
I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. It was just my experience and in the small town in southern Minnesota where I grew up, heavy drinking was IMO very prominent, and started very young. You can disagree if your experience was different but it does not make my experience wrong or change the advice I would give to OP. YMMV.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #45
Administrator

In the first 18 years of my life, I lived in approximately 13 different towns in 10 different states and 2 countries. I don't even know which I would designate as my hometown.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
In the first 18 years of my life, I lived in approximately 13 different towns in 10 different states and 2 countries. I don't even know which I would designate as my hometown.

Wow! And here I am, having never left my home county except an short internship in DC @17 and a single semester at college in my home state!
I guess you probably can't remember your childhood home phone number!

Old 09-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Wow! And here I am, having never left my home county except an short internship in DC @17 and a single semester at college in my home state!
I guess you probably can't remember your childhood home phone number!
Only one of them. When we lived in Hawaii back in the late 1960s, our phone number was 457-418. Yes, only six numbers. Right before we left in 1970, they added a seventh number to accommodate growing demand, and our number became 457-7418.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I've fantasized about moving back to Iowa. With the COL I could probably live in the old money neighborhood. A small mansion on a city acre with beautiful old oak trees all around. It would be very nice for about six weeks in the Spring and Autumn, but miserably humid and buggy in summer and no mountains or reliable snow for winter fun. Plus, even the state capital has a too small town feel to it. I never totally fit in, too eccentric and I like my anonymity.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
I've fantasized about moving back to Iowa.
This must be the first time that sentence has ever been written.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

No, because:

(1) The town I grew up in (suburban Columbus, Ohio) is gone, buried under decades of overdevelopment. It was a great place to grow up, but now it's more urban than suburban.

(2) Property taxes there are twice what I pay now. Those taxes pay for good schools, which I wouldn't need if I moved back there. Ohio got rid of its estate tax a few years ago, so it competes with FL in that regard. Ohio still has an income tax (~5%).

(3) The winter is a few months too long (although it's getting shorter).

(4) The city planted lots of flowering trees, which look nice in springtime, but make my allergies go bonkers.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
This must be the first time that sentence has ever been written.

"Is this Heaven?" "No, it's Iowa."
Old 09-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persn View Post
I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. It was just my experience and in the small town in southern Minnesota where I grew up, heavy drinking was IMO very prominent, and started very young. You can disagree if your experience was different but it does not make my experience wrong or change the advice I would give to OP. YMMV.
No worries, I'm not offended, just had a completely different experience in this state and think both sides should be considered. Didn't say you were wrong either, yet I wonder if the whole town really was full of heavy drinkers.

You can find non drinkers and heavy drinkers in just about every town in this county I would imagine.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:20 PM   #53

I recently visited my home town, which is Scarborough, (a suburb of Toronto) and I thought to myself when did it become a dump? It seemed so much better when I was growing up.

I asked my friends about this and basically they told me it was always a dump and never really changed.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
No worries, I'm not offended, just had a completely different experience in this state and think both sides should be considered. Didn't say you were wrong either, yet I wonder if the whole town really was full of heavy drinkers.

You can find non drinkers and heavy drinkers in just about every town in this county I would imagine.
I worked in Anchorage in a mental hospital and some small rural villages were snowed in all winter. They would fly in enough booze to last the winter then have nothing else to do until spring and couldn't go anywhere. If someone was alcoholic they had almost no chance of not drinking in the winter. The same people showed up in the spring for rehab every year, sobered up but couldn't handle winter snowed in with booze. Anchorage wasn't like that even in the coldest winter because you could live the way you wanted and social events weren't all with drinking. I didn't drink at all and didn't go where people did, I don't think it is weather as much as isolation with drinkers.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:55 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

My hometown is San Francisco, so only if I win the lottery.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Other than a 2 year job stint in another town, I never really left. I found a good job here so I took it. Wasn't looking to move back, but the job just fell into my lap. I have sometimes thought about what life would have been like moving to another area of the country. I guess we all day dream about living elsewhere.

If I were the OP and tired of living in DC, I would explore all my options. Moving back home might be a decent move to make, but I would keep all options on the table. Take your time.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought about it, yes. Done it, heck no. Too many extended family members there that I do not enjoy being around. Plus, they're like bloodhounds if they get any whiff of $$. No thank you. Left in 1979 and haven't been back much at all since both parents passed. You can't go back, in my opinion.

As others have stated, if the PRESENT town works for your needs, then consider it.

Iowa, LOL. Spent nine LONG years there, OK for the natives not for transplants.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW and I are in the city we grew up in. We can't wait to leave. We both have said we don't want to die here. We moved away for 10 years but had to move back for work, promotions and politics. To many bad memories in our current town where we grew up so the house is going up for sale next spring. You probably have some fond memories that account for the pull back to home? Rent there a while before making the move. We are looking around the US now and will rent a place for a while before we make the big jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #59

This brings up an interesting point. My Dad has mentioned that most of the folks he grew up with that stayed in their hometown didn't amount to a hill of beans but those that left did much better for themselves. He also mentioned that with all the HS reunions they had (the last one was 50 years, I think), a larger percentage of the "stayed home" crowd had died than those that had moved away.

In my own life, just about *everyone* I know who didn't leave haven't been very successful in life; in spite of living in a metropolitan area of 5 million people. But those that *did* move away have done quite well for themselves.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
This brings up an interesting point. My Dad has mentioned that most of the folks he grew up with that stayed in their hometown didn't amount to a hill of beans but those that left did much better for themselves. He also mentioned that with all the HS reunions they had (the last one was 50 years, I think), a larger percentage of the "stayed home" crowd had died than those that had moved away.

In my own life, just about *everyone* I know who didn't leave haven't been very successful in life; in spite of living in a metropolitan area of 5 million people. But those that *did* move away have done quite well for themselves.
That was very true for my parents too. Of course where they were from wasn't a good place for opportunities. The health conditions there were pretty awful too. The town reaked of burning coal from the mine fires. No place I'd like to live.