Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Has anyone gone to one automobile?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually I have gone to zero automobiles also. I sold my car and I just use zipcar to get around now (Boston). It's pretty cheap, convenient, and best of all, there are no parking hassles... I use it about 1x-2x per week on average, for grocery shopping and stuff like that.
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2006, 06:42 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had three cars just got rid of one. We are both still working and I commute 40 miles to work. Chances are we will keep two cars when we retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Actually I have gone to zero automobiles also. I sold my car and I just use zipcar to get around now (Boston). It's pretty cheap, convenient, and best of all, there are no parking hassles... I use it about 1x-2x per week on average, for grocery shopping and stuff like that.
How does the zipcar thing work? My daughter just moved to Boston (from Southeastern MA) and I am not sure she is aware of it.

Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:51 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

When my wife stops working we'll go down to one car. This will help our overall expenses. I'm amazed at the costs in owning, maintaining and insuring a car. I believe I saw once that the average in Toronto was about $8,000. per year.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:58 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't believe people say that it doesn't "cost that much" to keep extra cars around. Don't just look at the direct $$ spent. Take a look at the space it occupies, the chores and hassles it creates, the fact that there is one extra thing to look at every day. Extra stuff costs a lot more than just money.

Of course if keeping and maintaining cars is an enjoyable hobby for you - then that's a different story.

Audrey
Old 11-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #25

Both of us are still working full time, and we've only had one car for years.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #26

It would seriously crap our style. My wife and I both drive everyday.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
I can't believe people say that it doesn't "cost that much" to keep extra cars around. ......................... Take a look at the space it occupies, the chores and hassles it creates, the fact that there is one extra thing to look at every day. Of course if keeping and maintaining cars is an enjoyable hobby for you - then that's a different story.

Audrey
Gosh Audrey, kinda harsh on the "one more thing to look at", but at least you acknowledge some of us enjoy cars!
<--------(see sig.)
Old 11-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
Gosh Audrey, kinda harsh on the "one more thing to look at", but at least you acknowledge some of us enjoy cars!
<--------(see sig.)
Ok, your sig, is alittle to small for me to identify what type of car it is. All I see is a white car with a rear spoiler, and tail lights that go aaaaaall the way across.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout
Had three cars just got rid of one. We are both still working and I commute 40 miles to work. Chances are we will keep two cars when we retire.

How does the zipcar thing work? My daughter just moved to Boston (from Southeastern MA) and I am not sure she is aware of it.

Zipcar is a great service. You pay a yearly sign up fee of around $75 (waived if you are a member of certain organizations). They give you a pass that lets you get into any zipcar car around town. You go online first and reserve it for however much time you need, in 30 minute increments, I believe. If you are in danger of going over, you can call and book more time from your cell phone. You return it to the same parking spot (a branded zipcar parking spot that they lease from an owner) when you are done. There is a gas card in each zipcar that you use to pay for gas at any station. It costs around $8.50 an hour for a nice small car and goes up to $13 hour for a BMW 3 series. But you do not have to pay for gas or insurance or anything else. I would recommend it to anyone... you can go to zipcar.com and see if they have any vehicles parked near your daughter.
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream
Ok, your sig, is alittle to small for me to identify what type of car it is. All I see is a white car with a rear spoiler, and tail lights that go aaaaaall the way across.
It's a Fiero, I believe.

And I love my cars.... they're expensive, but I can't help myself...
Old 11-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Zipcar is a great service. You pay a yearly sign up fee of around $75 (waived if you are a member of certain organizations). They give you a pass that lets you get into any zipcar car around town. You go online first and reserve it for however much time you need, in 30 minute increments, I believe. If you are in danger of going over, you can call and book more time from your cell phone. You return it to the same parking spot (a branded zipcar parking spot that they lease from an owner) when you are done. There is a gas card in each zipcar that you use to pay for gas at any station. It costs around $8.50 an hour for a nice small car and goes up to $13 hour for a BMW 3 series. But you do not have to pay for gas or insurance or anything else. I would recommend it to anyone... you can go to zipcar.com and see if they have any vehicles parked near your daughter.
Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

The two of us have owned as many as four, but will always own two. It's just way to practical to have a spare when one is being serviced or the one one that we own that is of older vintage has some part fail (and I need to be saved!).

The other issue becomes when I flitter of to Jam Night out in the sticks at Mr. Drummer's house, how could I leave my beloved stranded without a vehicle? That would just be wrong! We're currently content with one newer very reliable vehicle suitable for long trips with the Wolfhounds, and one Auction aquired older luxury car for me to tool around town in and out to music nights. This keeps the mileage and gas consumption down on the Hemi. 8)
Old 11-13-2006, 06:48 PM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM
The two of us have owned as many as four, but will always own two. It's just way to practical to have a spare when one is being serviced or the one one that we own that is of older vintage has some part fail (and I need to be saved!).

The other issue becomes when I flitter of to Jam Night out in the sticks at Mr. Drummer's house, how could I leave my beloved stranded without a vehicle? That would just be wrong! We're currently content with one newer very reliable vehicle suitable for long trips with the Wolfhounds, and one Auction aquired older luxury car for me to tool around town in and out to music nights. This keeps the mileage and gas consumption down on the Hemi. 8)
Bluesmobile?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Actually planning to go up to two (well, three, counting my DS's '93 Sable). I have a pickup, and would like to keep it. But one of these days, I'd like to get a gas-friendly vehicle, say a Toyota Matrix, for daily driving.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 PM   #35

We went down from 5 to 3. I retired this year and my DD and I share a vehicle. My DH has his SUV and his baby. DD does not want to drive to school because she would have to leave so much earlier in order to get a parking space, so I get to drive her to school and pick her up. She thinks that I don't have anything else to do all day since I am retired. She works part-time and usually drives it to work. It is working out well sharing a car with her.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote