Join Early Retirement Today

Has anyone retired in Belize?
Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I are five days into a four week stay in San Pedro, Belize (on the island of Ambergris Caye). We’re just a bit south of town in a one bedroom condo in a very small resort. Our unit overlooks a beautiful pool with the sea just beyond it. It is simply lovely. I could see myself living here permanently if I could talk DW into it. Has anyone on the forum retired to Belize? If so, I’d love to hear your comments on living here.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
DW and I are five days into a four week stay in San Pedro, Belize (on the island of Ambergris Caye). We’re just a bit south of town in a one bedroom condo in a very small resort. Our unit overlooks a beautiful pool with the sea just beyond it. It is simply lovely. I could see myself living here permanently if I could talk DW into it. Has anyone on the forum retired to Belize? If so, I’d love to hear your comments on living here.

How are the mosquitoes? We spent two weeks on Belize in 1999 and got chewed up, despite using Deep Woods Off the entire time. We were on outer islands - Manta and Blackbird Cayes. Maybe better now?
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

How's the wind? My friend just got back from there it was like 20mph+ much of the time.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #4

So far, no mosquitoes. There is almost a constant sea breeze that has kept insects to a minimum. We have seen some flying insects right around sunset, but nothing that has been a problem. We’ve been leaving our patio doors open during the day for the breeze and haven’t seen any bugs indoors yet.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd take a look at historical weather and insect population charts. I imagine it's blazing hot and buggy in July/Aug/Sept
Old 04-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #6

This morning it was fairly windy, but not enough to chase me back indoors. The wind has tapered off a bit now and is basically a very pleasant breeze. As far as being hot and buggy in July/Aug/Sept, we were here once before (about five years ago) in August and it was a bit warmer, but not too bad. And, I don’t recall the bugs being bad either. But, I’m from Houston, so probably have a higher tolerance for the heat than a lot of others.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
gone traveling

Take a very close look at the crime rate.
My brother, who is 6+ feet tall, says there are many places where he will not go at night.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #8

We looked very seriously into moving there when we retired, to the point of researching and visiting potential houses to buy. We spent quite a bit of time there. In the end we decided to stay in the states because:
1) Crime rate. It is just high enough that my wife's happiness would have been affected. Research this before you move there. It doesn't seem to be getting better.
2) Sandflies. Visit in the dry windy season and you won't notice them, but outside those months they can be a real nuisance. I hate flies so it did annoy me.
3) Healthcare. The facilities and services available are OK, but below average. We expected to visit the states or Mexico for any serious illnesses.

I still think there are many upsides to living there; cost of living, dollar, english language, friendly (in general) locals, but in the end the scales tipped away from moving there permanently.

Good luck if you do end up there and would love to hear about your experiences at that time.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

.....and there's only ONE beer
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

i heard it was really humid
Old 04-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
i heard it was really humid
They are from Houston so I am sure the heat, bugs, and humidity are not an issue.

We got all of that in spades here in H-town!!!
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithee View Post
They are from Houston so I am sure the heat, bugs, and humidity are not an issue.

We got all of that in spades here in H-town!!!
that's why I moved to Idaho 8 years ago

40 years of htown weather was enough!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
that's why I moved to Idaho 8 years ago

40 years of htown weather was enough!
We moved to Cypress three years ago from Honolulu. So, the change in weather, humidity, and bugs was a bit of a shock. That and allergy season seems to be year round.

But, we do love it here. My crossfit gym is a mile away, my BJJ gym is 2.7 miles away. The DS school is 2.5 miles away. My whole world is limited to a 3 mile radius around me and we LOVE IT!!!

And a Costco is going in 1.5 miles from my front door by end of summer. Don't get no better than this!!!!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithee View Post
We moved to Cypress three years ago from Honolulu. So, the change in weather, humidity, and bugs was a bit of a shock. That and allergy season seems to be year round.

But, we do love it here. My crossfit gym is a mile away, my BJJ gym is 2.7 miles away. The DS school is 2.5 miles away. My whole world is limited to a 3 mile radius around me and we LOVE IT!!!

And a Costco is going in 1.5 miles from my front door by end of summer. Don't get no better than this!!!!
glad you like it - I have some friends that live in cypress

DW and I couldn't wait to get out of there - Ike was the last straw
Old 04-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
glad you like it - I have some friends that live in cypress

DW and I couldn't wait to get out of there - Ike was the last straw
Thank goodness we missed Ike. Glad you all made it out okay. We did get Harvey a couple years back and quite a bit of separate 100 year floods the year prior. But we were high and dry. Very thankful.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZICAN View Post
.....and there's only ONE beer
That is because the Bowen family that owns the Belikin beer company got a law passed which bans imports from México and Guatemala.
The Bowens also own the Coca Cola franchise.
And, the bottled water monopoly.
The saying in Belize is: if you are drinking it, then it's Belikin.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #17

Several have mentioned the crime rate here. I think I would agree if we were staying in Belize City. But, San Pedro seems pretty safe. Not sure about other areas on the mainland.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The saying in Belize is: if you are drinking it, then it's Belikin.
when it's 93, humid and you are slapping mosquitos every 30 seconds, the last thing you want is a "good" beer - I just want something cold to slam
Old 04-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I imagine it is probably not as buggy as people state. Hot humid weather in general doesn't necessarily bring out the bugs in the daytime and hopefully if you have an enclosed lanai type structure, you are golden at night.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve read that the local police can be corrupt...and the crime against expats can be overlooked by them. There’s something to be said for picking up the phone in the US and calling 911, knowing Americans are charging to your aid!!
Tetto is online now   Reply With Quote