Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I have to admit I'm still a bit of a news junkie, reading things like Google News and watching CNN for a little while almost every day. But... with each passing year I'm feeling that it's not as enjoyable and definitely not beneficial for my mental well-being. I especially have been feeling that way with all the recent atrocities (like the horrific attack in Nice last night) that are covered 24/7 by the media for days on end. On the one hand, I want to be informed about what's going on and know some of the details so I can hold an intelligent conversation about current events with people. But the sheer awfulness of so many big news stories is getting harder and harder to take these days. It's really kind of soul-crushing. So... maybe better to be a bit in the dark?
Except it won't seem dark. In fact, your view might seem considerably brighter!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We do watch the evening news and receive a newspaper. I click on news items on MSN and unfortunately my DH has Breaking Fox News app on his Iphone. My DH is affected by Anxiety and Depression. He told me this morning that he is getting so tired of everything that is going on in this world. I just read both of the articles and I think that it is time for us to take a news break. I record the evening news and I am going to stop this. I am going to ask him to uninstall his Fox News app on his phone. I think that I am only going to look at Facebook once a week, instead of daily. It will be an interesting experiment. I will let my Facebook friends who message me, that if it is something I need to know, to phone me instead. If the world is coming to an end, I am counting on you guys to let me know a month before, so that I can spend some of the stash.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
But the sheer awfulness of so many big news stories is getting harder and harder to take these days. It's really kind of soul-crushing. So... maybe better to be a bit in the dark?
I think that's my biggest issue with it. It's almost always depressing and generally speaking, there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about any of it.

In the article I posted the author said:

Quote:
Out of the approximately 10,000 news stories you have read in the last 12 months, name one that – because you consumed it – allowed you to make a better decision about a serious matter affecting your life, your career, your business – compared to what you would have known if you hadn’t swallowed that morsel of news.

The point is: the consumption of news is irrelevant to the forces that really matter in your life. At its best, it is entertaining, but it is still irrelevant.
So, I put some thought into that and I really couldn't think of more than about 3...and all of these "stories" I would have heard through organizations that I belong to that send out legislative action items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
unfortunately my DH has Breaking Fox News app on his Iphone.
Oye. I am very sorry to hear this. Perhaps you can print out the article and give it to him. There are several salient points as to WHY watching news is just not good for you. There is nothing more annoying than "breaking news". So little of the news out there is BREAKING in any manner. As my Dad say, "When will the breaking news finally be BROKEN?"

And Facebook? Ugh. Talk about a time waster. I have deleted it from my phone and my tablet and check it maybe once a week. Even that is a pain...our upstairs computer doesn't like Facebook (it crashed the video driver) so I have to use my office computer that is turned off most of the time. Funny thing about it...even when 2 or more weeks go by, when I do finally catch up, well, like the news...I really haven't missed much of nothing.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #24

Great topic. DW insists on the local and national "news". I see no value in it. If it's truly news we'll see it via net. The crap that's on the news is hardly news to me.

Of course reading any news stories on the net is difficult. Seems there are more teasing headlines that direct the reader to a on camera interview or commentary. I won't ever click on those, interrupts the reading.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #25

Things that are going on in my little town affect and impact me considerably more than what goes on at the state and national level.

I always feel like I'm being manipulated to feel that the latest national election/scandal/event is more important than the things that touch me directly.

The actions of my mayor have a far greater chance of affecting how I live my life than that of a national figure or event.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Ditto with bits and pieces of the Golf channel blended in, here and there.
The Golf Channel! Now that's an alternative I hadn't considered and will look into. When recently retired I watched it for a short time but stopped, it was just too fast-paced for me and I was looking to relax and slow my life down a little.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I read The Economist cover to cover every week.
I feel as if I learn everything of importance that way.

For local news, I skim the iPad version of the local newspaper most mornings. Maybe ten minutes worth.

That's it.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #28

I've just started watching the news on TV again within the past few weeks. I binge watch news during big news times - 9/11, elections, etc.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

What I realize, sadly, is that I no longer "feel" a lot that is happening. Just this morning I heard on the news of how the people of Nice are "shocked." I mulled over that word and thought, why shocked? Who is shocked anymore at anything? All this tragedy never abates.
I find this emotional blankness disturbing. I don't know the answer to it. I do know that I am happier and more grounded if I keep the news to a minimum. I watch the evening 1/2 hour news and read the Sunday paper. That's about it.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #30

Drudge Report for me.

DW likes CNN and has it on all three TV's at home so she doesn't miss anything important during the day.

We don't watch news at night and save that news for the morning since it will still be shown. Instead, we watch re-runs of The First 48 or Forensic Files to stay on top of the latest crime investigations.

What news I miss, I get from the old retirees at the ROMEO Burger King visit each morning before we decide which Sam's Club to go to for free samples of food (cheap lunch). Gotta LBYM, you know!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #31

I've come to believe that the only two places where actual facts reside is in sports stats and (generally) the financial results.

We have direct and personal experience on how a major cable channel can twist reality to suit their agenda. One involved being in a location where something terrible was reported and....nothing of the sort was going on; in fact, there was nothing going on.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
We have direct and personal experience on how a major cable channel can twist reality to suit their agenda. One involved being in a location where something terrible was reported and....nothing of the sort was going on; in fact, there was nothing going on.
It's like when the news reports on something that I have some expertise in. For the most part, they screw it ALL up. So, I have to assume that the other stuff they report on (that I am not an expert on) is just as screwed up!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #33

Thanks, ExFlyBoy5. DH and I talked and we both agreed to stop recording the news, watching it and he is going to take the Breaking News app off of his phone. I am only going to check Facebook once or twice a week. I like seeing the pictures of the relatives children. I think that we will be happier!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

When DH is home, he has one of the news channels on tv all day as background noise. When he is away on business, I might go days without watching any local or national news.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never been a TV viewer. As these things came available I went to daily reading of NY Times and weekly reading of several news mags on line. Faster, cleaner and available wherever I am.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
Old 07-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #36

In the United States, everything you see, hear, read, in terms of media consumption is controlled by just six very large companies. As recently as the 1970's, approximately 40-something organizations had this control; hence, a great deal more diversity. I do not filter the world through anything related to what I refer to as "push" media. I do scan the online business sections of about 10 major news publications in order to see how perceptions are being shaped. Along these lines, there are three things I absolutely refuse to talk about with anyone: religion, politics, and I can't remember the third...
Old 07-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I read The Economist cover to cover every week.
I feel as if I learn everything of importance that way.

For local news, I skim the iPad version of the local newspaper most mornings. Maybe ten minutes worth.

That's it.
+1 on the Economist. Actual information plus thoughtful analysis. I also get the WSJ everyday, but usually just skim through it for anything interesting.

I look at the two local papers front page (online) everyday, but usually only click once or twice beyond that.

I generally avoid TV News except for PBS NewsHour on a "big news day."

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Old 07-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #38

I am so out of the news loop my girlfriend tells me what got blown or shot up when we talk.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Y

The benefits are that I'm no longer overwhelmed or assaulted with negative energy multiple times a day. I can remain in the moment and enjoy my life without other people's insanity crowding in. The majority of what goes on 'out there' are things we have absolutely no control over, so at the end of the day what, really, is the point of letting them control how you feel?
ding ding ding,

I actually started a "disconnect" day many years ago. when my kids where small, I started noticing that on Mondays I would get major migraines, not going to go into the long drawn out story but bottom line a very good friend of mine suggested that once a week I "disconnect". no news, no internet, no paper nada. long story short the difference was amazing.

I do like my local newspaper (Philly inquirer) but as a general rule on Sundays I am totally analog. no cell, no cable, very limited internet (usually to check operating hours). I also make my kids turn off their phones if they are hanging with me.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Thanks, ExFlyBoy5. DH and I talked and we both agreed to stop recording the news, watching it and he is going to take the Breaking News app off of his phone. I am only going to check Facebook once or twice a week. I like seeing the pictures of the relatives children. I think that we will be happier!
My pleasure! I can now say that I did something useful today!
Well, I walked the dogs too, so they are happy with me too.

I have really enjoyed ignoring Facebook. I didn't realize how petty some folks can be until I *stopped* seeing how petty they could be! If dropping the news is as 1/2 cathartic for me as dumping FB has been, then I will be a very happy man.

Closed Thread