Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think there is a huge difference between getting the news pushed at you, and seeking the news yourself. I never expose myself to a program that decides what I should be told about over a fixed time period, and I have to sit there and consume the product on their terms (victimized?). Having something where you get a few headlines and then YOU can decide what you care about and search on your own is a completely difference experience. Also - the written word is way better than any video - a few photographs attached, OK. You can skim the article, click on links, do some in depth searches if you want. With video they tend to show the most salacious stuff and sometimes over and over again! I don't need to see repeated video or hundreds of photographs of a horrific event. With articles I can control how I consume the information.

To me that makes all the difference.

Oh right - and turning off the news I got rid of most of those unwanted (often poorly informed) opinions and suppositions!!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #62

I also see a difference between news & journalism that is primarily paid by advertising vs subscription funded, such as The Economist Magazine and Financial Times. As a subscriber, though, I may have "subscription bias".

Old 07-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I also see a difference between news & journalism that is primarily paid by advertising vs subscription funded, such as The Economist Magazine and Financial Times. As a subscriber, though, I may have "subscription bias".
Print journalism (including the on line version) is set up such that you browse and decide what to read. Completely different from a broadcast.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Guilty on all counts of obsessiveness.
Mostly because the level of energy dictates that more than a few hours of physical activity requires a "sit down" period, and a need to keep the brain active.
Still get two newspapers, and watch all channels (equal time), and when it's time to doze... NPR.
Deep into international politics, so online to AlJazeera English... for some balance. (that's English... not America).

But.. y'all are right... no need for information overflow. Beginning to make the first break, by doing books on tape. Bought 30 BOT from a recently closed local library for $.60 each... All my used-to-be favorite authors.

One of the things that I miss, is discussing the news with friends and neighbors. While I live in a CCRC, and have many friends here... no one to talk to about news, politics or religion. They're all smarter than me... and know better.

The other break-away from news, is nostalgia, from Turner Classic Movies... and Netflix... from back in the days when everything didn't happen in a dark room, and the actors didn't whisper or swear all the time. Just watched "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"...

So... onwards and upwards... time for closed captioning on TV and on-line Chicago Tribune and "Readability". Interim measures during the weaning-off period. Still far away from bingeing on YouTube or Facebook, etc., but am charging the phone for a Pokemon trip... Cheers...
Old 07-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I watch the morning local news. Mostly for weather and traffic but makes me feel connected.

I check Facebook throughout the day so can't avoid any news there.

I do think there should be a "happy news" show though. One that the family can watch. Weather, sports, and stories about little old ladies running marathons and stuff like that.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
After viewing the video 600 times, did you decide to stop watching it, or did the news station go on to something else? If the latter, did you then search for another news station that was showing the video?
Fortunately, I was watching the coverage on my DVR so I could just fast-forward through the repetitive parts. And that's actually when I saw the same grainy cellphone footage over and over again at super high speed. I hit the FF button after watching maybe 15 minutes of coverage, once I realized they were just repeating the same stuff, not showing or saying anything new.

Last night I was watching the same DVR'd show and ended up doing the same thing once I got the gist of the story about the attempted coup in Turkey. I ended up skipping over half the show and feeling good about it, thanks in part to this thread!
Old 07-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

I often wonder how they managed to get through the day back before the days of the telegraph and the pony express. Why wars might start and end before you even heard about them! I have read letters that my ancestors wrote to family, being hand-delivered by horse and wagon from Ohio back to North Carolina. By the time those letters were first opened, it might have been over a year since the original journey commenced. The letters contained news of travails, sicknesses and even deaths. And yet, somehow, all of those people managed to live their lives day to day without seemingly suffering too much for lack of news.

We have both extremely curtailed our news and media consumption. I think we're much better off for it.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #68

All the wisdom in the world can be found in Rock & Roll -

Old 07-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I haven't quit watching network news, but have cut back by about 90%.
Same here. I watch a local news station that is 90% local interest information (I wouldn't call it "news"). About 5% of their time is national / international news. Seems the right mix. It helps me feel that I'm not totally living under a rock
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
All the wisdom in the world can be found in Rock & Roll -

True, I was expecting this one!

Quote:
We can do "The Innuendo"
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that crap is king
Give us dirty laundry!
-ERD50
Old 07-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #71
Dryer sheet aficionado

The NY Times just published a relevant story

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/he...le-span-region

For me no TV news except occasionally the 10 pm local news and sometimes The Late Show. Online sources keep me au courrant, probably much more than I need to be.

Part of the problem is that technology makes it possible for everyone to know about the current agonies and dangers facing billions of people. If one has even a little empathy for all this, it isn't surprising one would be overwhelmed.

Many years ago I heard a very clever old science fiction radio show episode (probably originally from the 1930's or 1940's). The protagonist was an ordinary guy (a college student in NYC, IIRC) who is about to cross the street when a disembodied voice warns him of a runaway cab about to careen by. The voice then follows him around giving further warnings of potential dangers. At first this is welcome, but the voice gets more and more enthusiastic about its task and includes warnings about events happening in a broader and broader geographic area (so evaluated rationally they really weren't dangers to him). The story ends with the protagonist barricaded in his room and obviously driven insane.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #72

When I was in college I watched and listened to no news. A friend incredulously told me about the Iran-Iraq war.

I am trying to stay up to speed enough to know today's weather and to make voting decisions. We subscribed to a newspaper for about a year, back in the 80s. Waste of trees for us. We have not missed the newspaper at all.

I can check in on the things that affect me easily enough through my iPhone and computer, and feast on my own political leanings with a few shows I like (recorded then zipped through the next day). Some radio is good too. But as a Sirius/XM subscriber, I rarely venture into broadcast stuff.

Too many choices, too much input, leave us all more paralyzed. This is one of those many times in our lives when saying "no" is the better option. Say no frequently, say yes rarely. Especially to the news.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Ever since I was a kid I have tried keeping up with the news. However, during the last few years, I have tried to avoid any story related to US politics.

I now have a lot of time on my hands for more important things.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's another article that bolsters the anti-news argument:

Why News Junkies Get Are So Glum About Politics, Economics, and Everything Else - The Atlantic

The first couple of paragraphs:

Quote:
Man bites dog. It is one of the oldest cliches in journalism, an acknowledgement of the idea that ordinary events are not newsworthy, whereas oddities, like a puppy-nibbling adult, deserve disproportionate coverage.

The rule is straightforward, but its implications are subtle. If journalists are encouraged to report extreme events, they guide both elite and public attitudes, leading many people, including experts, to feel like extreme events are more common than they actually are. By reporting on only the radically novel, the press can feed a popular illusion that the world is more terrible than it actually is.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It's our duty as citizens to know what's going on in the world, but I watch news judiciously. 24/7 news is an very unwelcome development IMO, it's led to broadcasters/webmasters making news where there's really nothing new to report. And there's way too much reported prematurely, without a complete picture, presumably being first to report is more desirable than being accurate nowadays. It's harder than ever to discern opinions and hard facts.

As for politics, I make sure I watch/listen to conservative AND liberal sources as equally as possible, and do my own follow up research. Listening to only conservative or liberal sources, as many I know do, has heightened polarization and reduced understanding in the USA. Too many people speak in sound bites with little actual comprehension...

+1

I feel the same way. I have to watch news everyday for at least a half hour of each local and national news. That's enough to give me a day's worth of news that occurred the previous 24 hours. Any more than that is a bit too much and starting to take up too much of my valuable time. I avoid news that's biased any one way. I don't own cable, so that makes it easier.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I just walked into our sunroom, and for some unknown reason DW has the TV on and tuned to a network news show. Amazing! Things are horrible, and everybody is going to die! Things are worse than they've ever been! For everybody! They're even recalling ice cream! I had no idea things were so bad. I think I should build a survivalist bunker and stock it up immediately! Or maybe I'll just turn off the TV.

Seriously, I haven't seen network news in many years. It's incredible how they focus on negatives and hype. I think if people watch this crap it's no wonder so many people are panicked about everything. Such an easy solution (turn off the TV), but I doubt most people will ever do it. Not watching the shows doesn't keep you from knowing what's going on, but it certainly takes the edge off.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #77
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I just walked into our sunroom, and for some unknown reason DW has the TV on and tuned to a network news show. Amazing! Things are horrible, and everybody is going to die! Things are worse than they've ever been! For everybody! They're even recalling ice cream! I had no idea things were so bad. I think I should build a survivalist bunker and stock it up immediately! Or maybe I'll just turn off the TV.

Seriously, I haven't seen network news in many years. It's incredible how they focus on negatives and hype. I think if people watch this crap it's no wonder so many people are panicked about everything. Such an easy solution (turn off the TV), but I doubt most people will ever do it. Not watching the shows doesn't keep you from knowing what's going on, but it certainly takes the edge off.
+1

I was just thinking about network news and how awful it is, this afternoon. It's such a shame. I never thought that it would deteriorate to this extent.

The world is becoming a strange and different place. I'm taking the "pass the popcorn" approach, and constantly searching for better news coverage but without much luck.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Guilty on all counts of obsessiveness.
Mostly because the level of energy dictates that more than a few hours of physical activity requires a "sit down" period, and a need to keep the brain active.
Still get two newspapers, and watch all channels (equal time), and when it's time to doze... NPR.
Deep into international politics, so online to AlJazeera English... for some balance. (that's English... not America).

But.. y'all are right... no need for information overflow. Beginning to make the first break, by doing books on tape. Bought 30 BOT from a recently closed local library for $.60 each... All my used-to-be favorite authors.

One of the things that I miss, is discussing the news with friends and neighbors. While I live in a CCRC, and have many friends here... no one to talk to about news, politics or religion. They're all smarter than me... and know better.

The other break-away from news, is nostalgia, from Turner Classic Movies... and Netflix... from back in the days when everything didn't happen in a dark room, and the actors didn't whisper or swear all the time. Just watched "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"...

So... onwards and upwards... time for closed captioning on TV and on-line Chicago Tribune and "Readability". Interim measures during the weaning-off period. Still far away from bingeing on YouTube or Facebook, etc., but am charging the phone for a Pokemon trip... Cheers...
PLUS the serendipity of U-Tube! You can learn to start a tractor and how to plow.

heh heh heh - Never know what you'll find there. Then there is always FOOTBALL! Yeah. Love Fall.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I never regularly watched American network news, not even when I lived in the US. I do keep up with world news by tapping into a variety of international news apps, ranging from the Guardian to CBC News to TheJournal.ie. The only American news bulletin that I am interested in watching is the PBS News Hour, because it is calm and analytical.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

We DVR the evening news and watch it regularly...sometimes we even enjoy it.

Closed Thread