Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Has Anyone STOPPED Watching/Reading the News?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has Anyone STOPPED Watching/Reading the News?

I came across an article by Rolf Dobelli that was written in 2010 called, "Avoid News." It was intriguing enough that I just might take him up on his recommendation to "go cold turkey" on ALL news sources. His 15 reasons seem pretty good to me and well...reading/watching ALL the wonderful news that's out there, well...it just wears me out.

So, has anyone here actually done this? If so, how did it work out? I know I have a fear of "not knowing", but truly, anything that would *actually* affect me I would hear from SOMEONE.

Here's the original article if you are interested

http://dobelli.com/wp-content/upload...Part1_TEXT.pdf

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, largely due to this 2013 blog posting at Mr. Money Mustache: The Low Information Diet

The premise of his article, in a nutshell, is that the important stuff will always come through, so this is not the same as 'checking out.' What it means to me is that I refuse to allow the insanity of the 24/7 news cycle consume my brain, and my increasingly precious time. No matter what the breaking story, it doesn't need to be read or consumed in real time, it really doesn't. Once a week is adequate, or even less, with rare exception. Again, if it's that major of a story, it will come through in some form or another, so I have no concerns I'll be left in the dark about a truly significant real-time event.

The benefits are that I'm no longer overwhelmed or assaulted with negative energy multiple times a day. I can remain in the moment and enjoy my life without other people's insanity crowding in. The majority of what goes on 'out there' are things we have absolutely no control over, so at the end of the day what, really, is the point of letting them control how you feel?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

I like the term "low information diet". For years now, I've avoided TV news, especially CNN> I hate it when its blaring in the breakfast room in a hotel where I'm staying. What a depressing start to the day.

I skim, but rarely click on, news headlines on the msn.com home page and in FaceBook. For substance, I rely on French and German video news podcasts and BBC documentaries. The Europeans will certainly cover the latest terrorist attacks, but at the same time I may learn that Napoleon's horse, Vizier, is being sent for taxidermy and may soon be on display to the public.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #4

I quit watching network news many years ago. Far too much of an "if you don't watch our news you are going to die" effort on the part of the networks.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

I haven't quit watching network news, but have cut back by about 90%. It's helped my diet by lowering stress levels...I eat less.

Enjoying life!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's our duty as citizens to know what's going on in the world, but I watch news judiciously. 24/7 news is an very unwelcome development IMO, it's led to broadcasters/webmasters making news where there's really nothing new to report. And there's way too much reported prematurely, without a complete picture, presumably being first to report is more desirable than being accurate nowadays. It's harder than ever to discern opinions and hard facts.

As for politics, I make sure I watch/listen to conservative AND liberal sources as equally as possible, and do my own follow up research. Listening to only conservative or liberal sources, as many I know do, has heightened polarization and reduced understanding in the USA. Too many people speak in sound bites with little actual comprehension...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 07-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

No tv since 2012! Only news I look at is enough to keep me informed about our horribly corrupt so called leaders but only so I can make the best effort voting.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Yes, largely due to this 2013 blog posting at Mr. Money Mustache: The Low Information Diet

The premise of his article, in a nutshell, is that the important stuff will always come through, so this is not the same as 'checking out.' What it means to me is that I refuse to allow the insanity of the 24/7 news cycle consume my brain, and my increasingly precious time. No matter what the breaking story, it doesn't need to be read or consumed in real time, it really doesn't. Once a week is adequate, or even less, with rare exception. Again, if it's that major of a story, it will come through in some form or another, so I have no concerns I'll be left in the dark about a truly significant real-time event.

The benefits are that I'm no longer overwhelmed or assaulted with negative energy multiple times a day. I can remain in the moment and enjoy my life without other people's insanity crowding in. The majority of what goes on 'out there' are things we have absolutely no control over, so at the end of the day what, really, is the point of letting them control how you feel?
I went to read the MMM article and realized I had read it a while back...all still good information. I have pretty much figured out that the information that is considered "breaking news" is often full of errors and bad reporting. I read *somewhere* that the best way to get the FULL story is when there is a follow up 2 months later...but most stories don't last more than a couple of days before you never hear about it again.

At any rate, I am glad to see that so many people have "disconnected" from the news. I am already a "little weird" being FIRE'd, so this just adds to that "weirdness".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

As for politics, I make sure I watch/listen to conservative AND liberal sources as equally as possible, and do my own follow up research. Listening to only conservative or liberal sources, as many I know do, has heightened polarization and reduced understanding in the USA. Too many people speak in sound bites with little actual comprehension...
And not to get political, but I was sad to see Al Jazerra America go away. To *me*, they seemed to be about middle-of the line, whereas the other cable news providers have distinct leanings left AND right...and they had some pretty good documentaries. And this opinion comes from a "good 'ole southern boy" who spend 20+ years in the military....probably not the demographic you would *think* watched Al Jazerra.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I came across an article by Rolf Dobelli that was written in 2010 called, "Avoid News." It was intriguing enough that I just might take him up on his recommendation to "go cold turkey" on ALL news sources. His 15 reasons seem pretty good to me and well...reading/watching ALL the wonderful news that's out there, well...it just wears me out.

So, has anyone here actually done this? If so, how did it work out? I know I have a fear of "not knowing", but truly, anything that would *actually* affect me I would hear from SOMEONE.

Here's the original article if you are interested

http://dobelli.com/wp-content/upload...Part1_TEXT.pdf
YES!!!

It's definitely better this way!

And, yes, if it is really important you will find out soon enough from someone or some forum.

We have no TV (internet streaming only) or newspaper or magazine subscriptions. We don't frequent news sites online. DH does scan the online local paper occasionally but rarely mentions anything to me. And those tend to be short and factual.

I pick up on news events via remarks on forums like this or on Facebook (fortunately only a couple of my Facebook friends post news related things, so there are only occasional posts, and they are often of interest. I've worked hard to train FB not to show me the news junk). Or even seeing a flag at half mast may be the clue that motivates us to take a quick look.

I occasionally might see something from one of the financial sites/apps I use, but I usually ignore the news feeds.

When something is hinted at that I want to know more about - then I go looking for the news on it. When my curiosity is satisfied, then it disappears. I am not bombarded by repeat exposure.

For voting - again I am proactive about researching candidates and issues. News media coverage was usually too shallow to inform me anyway. So avoiding the political coverage crap is wonderful.

As a result we are usually blissfully ignorant of current events. I know several FB friends found some recent events very upsetting. I quickly found out what happened. But I was not bombarded by this as I could tell they had been. I can only imagine the constant focus and speculations by news organizations.

I remember because out on small ship trips when passengers expressed concern at being shut off from outside news and "not knowing". This struck me - why did someone feel so compelled to "know" when they would find out soon enough join their return? Reason - news programs have trained us to think we must constantly informed so we keep coming back for more.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #10

Not me. I get real time news all day long from Facebook, then at night on the Daily Show. In depth analysis from The Onion.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I definitely watch less. If something is happening I see via the internet, I might turn to CNN for an update. But as far as watching network evening news, very rare.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Years ago I got to where I couldn't even listen to NPR anymore. It would just make me anxious. And we totally stopped all financial TV and radio.

I have a Bloomberg app on Apple TV where I can tune into for live TV if I really want. I turned it on to watch the market open after Brexit. What a waste of time that was! Useless! The apps with tickers is all you need.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

there is very little news available. There is a glut, however, of opinion pieces from sources whose opinions are already well known, disguised as "news".

I try to avoid watching such "news" programs, which leaves very little to choose from.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to admit I'm still a bit of a news junkie, reading things like Google News and watching CNN for a little while almost every day. But... with each passing year I'm feeling that it's not as enjoyable and definitely not beneficial for my mental well-being. I especially have been feeling that way with all the recent atrocities (like the horrific attack in Nice last night) that are covered 24/7 by the media for days on end. On the one hand, I want to be informed about what's going on and know some of the details so I can hold an intelligent conversation about current events with people. But the sheer awfulness of so many big news stories is getting harder and harder to take these days. It's really kind of soul-crushing. So... maybe better to be a bit in the dark?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not me. I get real time news all day long from Facebook, then at night on the Daily Show. In depth analysis from The Onion.
Ditto with bits and pieces of the Golf channel blended in, here and there.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #16

I rarely watch TV news - got out of the habit when we lived in Europe in the 90's and never started up again. I do start my day listening to NPR and that's what's on 90% of the time when I'm in the car, and we get both the local paper and Wall St. Journal. The more in-depth stories in the papers and on NPR are far more interesting to us than TV news soundbites.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I watch local and national news, albeit infrequently. Most media outlets are "okay" at telling what happened, but are not so good at the why...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 07-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never watch the news. Also now my only transportation is motorcycle so never listen to the news either.

I do have the internet to research things I am thinking about.

When people talk at the office I have no clue what they are talking about because it is about the news or tv show or similar.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I can understand why people don't care about the news, but I read the Chicago Tribune online every morning. I also scan news.google.com a couple of times a day. I'll flip between msnbc and fox and cnn if there's heavy duty breaking news. I don't watch network news on TV though. In the car I like a news station or talk radio or NPR. I don't follow any online blogs though, news or social media style--I want just the facts ma'am. Most of the people I know are much more up on current events than I am and are always interesting to talk to. Maybe it's the nonengineer in me.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #20
Administrator

I still read the news, although I have cut back substantially. I don't watch TV news at all any more. Also, we don't have a daily paper newspaper in New Orleans any more.

Occasionally I read the news online, though. Right now my homepage is Reuters, so I notice the big stories there, like the truck killing so many people in Nice. Also, I glance through a couple of news subreddits and some other news websites each day. Our local newspaper has a website which I glance at, but I think the "reporters" are unpaid; anyway, their articles are both illiterate and heavily biased. The comments are entertaining.

I don't read even ten percent as much news as I read fifty years ago, because good news sources are harder for me to locate. I miss the "good old days" when we could simply pick up and read a newspaper containing actual, substantive news written by competent journalists who were familiar with English grammar and spelling. I'm glad that I am old enough to remember the good old days.