Has anyone taken a "hobby job"?

Haven't taken a hobby job yet. I've had several offers for photographer and woodworking short term gigs.I really enjoy these as hobbies, but there were parts of these gigs that just seemed like work, So I turned them down. I have looked into being a photographer for the Chicago White Sox during spring training, but again this would involve too much work. It would take something extremely interesting on a very short term basis to lure me back to work.

I briefly entertained the idea of working part time at a bookstore until I looked into it. It would be minimum wage, working every weekend and the hours were quite absurd, one day you might work 8 - 12, then come back and work 5 -9. No thanks. If I really want some fun money I would probably be better off working one day a week as an RN instead. But I don't want to do that either. I really like being totally unscheduled.

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, but only my first year. I got "recruited" by the CPA firm and I'm not sure I even said yes before they told me my starting date. I didn't realize I already knew so much about taxes, but of course there is more to learn as it's rare to see an "easy" tax return at a CPA office.

The partners have told me a good dozen times they want me back. The question to answer for myself is do I break the cycle now or continue on (for ten years??). It messes with skiing and travel plans.

At my place, I can take time off easily before about March 15th, but that last month....the pressure is on to get the returns into the review cycle ASAP.

I still have HS sons at home so I don't plan travel in the winter, maybe a 3 day weekend for local skiing at most. But this coming year will be the last with HS, and may very well be last at CPA office. Once both in college, wife and I would like to escape to some southern locale for Jan & Feb.
And the clients are changing from a mixture of returns when it was a smaller firm but due to a merger, concentration is now on strictly business clients and family/owners, and quite a few doctors. I work strictly on 1040s and simpler 1041s.

It does keep my mind agile and gives me a sense of competency. And yes, every year I hear from the partners hoping I come back. It's a win for them.......head for numbers, accurate, no expectation of further work during the year, no benefits (except lot of free meals to keep folks in the office).

Last edited:
I've considered that, probably for H&R Block, which I know doesn't pay much to start. I've done our taxes, which are pretty complicated, for years with the help of software.

Before working for a CPA firm, worked for HRB for five years. It gave me good experience but pay was low and iffy. At HRB, at least in 2000-2005 time frame, you had build your own client base that would return each year asking for you to make any decent money. Since I moved and changed states, didn't happen for me and you need to be part salesman....selling yourself to clients for them to return and selling some of their "junk" add-ons to drive the fee up. Once felt comfortable with my knowledge, moved on.

Been retired 16 years now and youngest will be a senior in HS so this coming year may be my last doing taxes for pay. Our local community foundation sponsors a tax office for lower income folks and have not ruled out volunteering there.

DH and I are planning ER soon. I've been a C-level exec for many years and have no interest in continuing a career in my field post ER on a part time or consulting basis. We both have many interests so not too concerned about getting bored. I'm curious to hear from people who have taken a part time job doing something completely unrelated to your former career, not for the money but just because the job is related to a personal passion or hobby. I've thought about doing that but I wonder if it would really be satisfying or if it would just feel like w**k?

I have a diving acquaintance that retired from a full time gig, moved to south FL and got her Divemaster certification. She's can get work almost any day she wants after a little networking with the dozens of Captains in the area. I think she just does daily contract work if they need someone for a particular trip...maybe a couple times a week. It may not be applicable, but seeing your Scuba handle brought that to mind.

I have a regular schedule. I play in two community bands so I'm committed 2 nights per week. I'm also president of two small organizations (one is one of the bands). Publicity for concerts, running a fundraiser, etc. I can miss any time I need to for travel. The bands help me keep track of the days of the week.

I've been working a few days a month for my old group, but after 2 years of their lack of success at recruiting a replacement, I'm done at the end of the month. I will feel free.

I'm hoping to get a few paying gigs, perhaps playing musicals. An added bonus is I'll spend time with DH, since he does 3-4/year as music/pit director.

If I were to want a low paying hobby job, it would be watering plants at my favorite garden center.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My cousin works part time in a budget men's store--to keep busy.

The store owner is a retired minister, and he's off selling suits in mass at minister and undertaker conventions.

Hobby job

Even though I don't plan to retire until next year, I just took a part time job (6 hours per week) as a ranger at a golf course-- in exchange for free golf. Plus I get to drive around in a golf cart on a really pretty golf course. I'm hoping to continue this job after I retire.

I have a small home-based business that is related to my old car hobby. It is for fun and also gives me some car spending money outside of other sources. I will never get rich or retire earlier than scheduled, just too much niche product and too small total market. Few $K per year net, can't complain. The main reason though for me is the tax benefits of the business. Home office deduction being the major one, but also mileage, office supplies, and few small meals also add up for the deductions. Overall really helps when I am still working.

<mod edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
...That's probably a good thing because my other hobbies are loner activities. I might turn into a hermit otherwise....

So what's wrong with a hermit?? :D

I will plow your drive, but I don't work for pay. I do appreciate when someone donates something to my favorite (kids camp) charity if I plow for them. I'm working on the homeowner's association donating an ice machine they will probably replace. I will be keeping a couple of roads open for them next winter.

I was also a C level executive. I spent three years consulting for a privately held firm after my last corporate job. Since then I taught a corporate strategy class for a semester at a university business school. I thought the part time teaching would be ideal but soon discovered much of the conventional wisdom about the millennial generation was true. The grade grubbing and unwillingness to actually work hard for A's bothered me. After catching a student flagrantly cheating, the administration would not take disciplinary action, so I quietly finished the semester and declined not to return the next semester.

Today my wife and I enjoy traveling about 1/3 of the year with our travel trailer. A number of hobbies occupy the rest of my time. I recently came up with an idea for a business in my home community which can be executed remotely while traveling. I am currently giving it serious consideration. At age 61 I still miss the challenges of running a business but I don't want to work full or part time on a specific schedule. DW enjoys having me at home and says it is time to let go.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I subbed for a band a while ago that gigs on a regular basis. Then their bass player left and they asked me to join, but I turned it down...they gig 4 - 5 times a month, which isn't a lot, but a gig is often a 12 hour day from start to finish once you factor in hauling gear, sound check, playing, and then packing up gear at the end of the night. In addition, most gigs are on the weekend which conflicts with other plans. When they have Friday gig followed by a Saturday gig, it was back to back 12-hour days.

I do keep up on their set list and sub for them on occasion, but joining the band would have been too much like w*rk... :LOL:

That's really cool!

Thanks Markola. Having retired from working as an architect, I've really enjoyed balancing in some creative work in my (abundant) spare time. I can set my own hours, and it gives me a chance to meet other creative types in my town. I've always had a need to have some sort of outlet as a compliment to my other passion - mountain sports.

I guess I could call my choice to go to law school a 'hobby' of sorts. I don't really have any intention to ever be a lawyer, but I do enjoy the classes and the deep thinking that it requires. I have never worked my brain in such a way, and without the pressure of taking the bar, student loans and the extreme competitive nature of it all...I do find myself enjoying it.

I initially made the mistake of agreeing to be on the board of the veterans student association, but a very young lieutenant (Army reservist) who is the board president made me reconsider (and ultimately step down) when her first email set out no less than 7 'expectations' before the board members even met for the first time. I dealt with that BS for 22 year, I am not dealing with it in retirement.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

I have a small home-based business that is related to my old car hobby. It is for fun and also gives me some car spending money outside of other sources. I will never get rich or retire earlier than scheduled, just too much niche product and too small total market. Few $K per year net, can't complain. The main reason though for me is the tax benefits of the business. Home office deduction being the major one, but also mileage, office supplies, and few small meals also add up for the deductions. Overall really helps when I am still working.

<mod edit>

Since you didn't mention it.
You can also set up a vanguard self-401K in either IRA or ROTH format and contribute to it (your contributions are subject to total yearly 401K contributions which would be a factor if you have one at work) However, you can also contribute up to 25% of the income per year from your "self employment" employer (which is you).

Details are here: https://investor.vanguard.com/what-we-offer/small-business/individual-401k

About the middle of the page they have a calculator so you can enter your values and see possiblities.

Most "hobby jobs" are low-paying. They are low-paying because most such jobs have more supply than demand. Some people will take advantage of the high supply and, no matter how little you charge, become whiny unless you supply them for free. Dealing with such whininess can be a real drag and make your hobby job feel too much like a Real J*b.

About a year after I retired from the state a opportunity to teach an online college course in my field fell into my lap. Usually these are low paying but I make 22K/year for teaching 1 class each semester-summer included. I love it and can do it from anywhere that there is internet.

My wife and I resell vintage items and used designer clothing on ebay. I usually find the items at garage sales and thrift stores. We have an ebay store and can close it down to travel. I continue to shop and sell a few items when we winter in FL. Work 2-4 hrs. a day, maybe 3 days a week, low 5 figures a year earnings. The money is a plus, but I am just a die hard garage sale dude.

After working indoors for 38 years I help a farmer in the fall driving the attached equipment.
The money is good, but I have stated "when it's not fun any more I'm done".

Charlie

Attachments

• IMG_20141015_090003906.jpg
    IMG_20141015_090003906.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 27
Very interesting to hear about the different pursuits you've taken up. Time will tell for me. Have several ideas for volunteer w*rk and a few ideas for paid j*bs. Also have many leisure activities I'd like to try or do more of so will just have to see how I like to spend my time once I'm not on someone else's payroll. Looking SO forward to it!

I'm about 5 years away from RE. The missus is only agreeable with my timeline if I stay active with something to prevent me from laying on the couch all day. I wouldn't mind a hobby job but I'm struggling to figure out something that I'll enjoy yet provide enough flexibility to allow us to travel when we want.
The only thing that comes to mind is Uber driver but Uber hasn't been approved to operate in Vancouver yet. :)
We currently volunteer a few times a month. I was thinking about volunteering more and with different organizations when we have more time but I want to find the right position that interests me.

I was a computer programmer before retirement.

I took a reading tutoring job in March, shortly after retirement. I had worked in daycare MANY years ago and thought working with kids and helping them with such an important skill would be fun. It started off 2 half-days a week, then ended up being 3. I just quit in June.

Having to be somewhere 3 days a week became a burden. Also, I didn't factor in that many of the kids were really young and did not want to be there.

I've done volunteer adult literacy tutoring for a number of years in retirement and really enjoy it. From time to time I've wondered about doing it for pay but I have absolutely zero credentials in the field so it's unlikely anyone would pay me. Besides, a real job reduces flexibility too much and I don't really need the money.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I agree that a real "j*b" could reduce flexibility too much. Plus although a j*b related to a personal passion sounds really fun, I'm not sure it really would be simply because it would be a j*b.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom