Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess I could call my choice to go to law school a 'hobby' of sorts. I don't really have any intention to ever be a lawyer, but I do enjoy the classes and the deep thinking that it requires. I have never worked my brain in such a way, and without the pressure of taking the bar, student loans and the extreme competitive nature of it all...I do find myself enjoying it.

I initially made the mistake of agreeing to be on the board of the veterans student association, but a very young lieutenant (Army reservist) who is the board president made me reconsider (and ultimately step down) when her first email set out no less than 7 'expectations' before the board members even met for the first time. I dealt with that BS for 22 year, I am not dealing with it in retirement.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I have a small home-based business that is related to my old car hobby. It is for fun and also gives me some car spending money outside of other sources. I will never get rich or retire earlier than scheduled, just too much niche product and too small total market. Few $K per year net, can't complain. The main reason though for me is the tax benefits of the business. Home office deduction being the major one, but also mileage, office supplies, and few small meals also add up for the deductions. Overall really helps when I am still working.

<mod edit>
Since you didn't mention it.
You can also set up a vanguard self-401K in either IRA or ROTH format and contribute to it (your contributions are subject to total yearly 401K contributions which would be a factor if you have one at work) However, you can also contribute up to 25% of the income per year from your "self employment" employer (which is you).

Details are here: https://investor.vanguard.com/what-w...ndividual-401k

About the middle of the page they have a calculator so you can enter your values and see possiblities.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #43

Most "hobby jobs" are low-paying. They are low-paying because most such jobs have more supply than demand. Some people will take advantage of the high supply and, no matter how little you charge, become whiny unless you supply them for free. Dealing with such whininess can be a real drag and make your hobby job feel too much like a Real J*b.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #44

About a year after I retired from the state a opportunity to teach an online college course in my field fell into my lap. Usually these are low paying but I make 22K/year for teaching 1 class each semester-summer included. I love it and can do it from anywhere that there is internet.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife and I resell vintage items and used designer clothing on ebay. I usually find the items at garage sales and thrift stores. We have an ebay store and can close it down to travel. I continue to shop and sell a few items when we winter in FL. Work 2-4 hrs. a day, maybe 3 days a week, low 5 figures a year earnings. The money is a plus, but I am just a die hard garage sale dude.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

After working indoors for 38 years I help a farmer in the fall driving the attached equipment.
The money is good, but I have stated "when it's not fun any more I'm done".

Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141015_090003906.jpg (478.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #47

Very interesting to hear about the different pursuits you've taken up. Time will tell for me. Have several ideas for volunteer w*rk and a few ideas for paid j*bs. Also have many leisure activities I'd like to try or do more of so will just have to see how I like to spend my time once I'm not on someone else's payroll. Looking SO forward to it!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm about 5 years away from RE. The missus is only agreeable with my timeline if I stay active with something to prevent me from laying on the couch all day. I wouldn't mind a hobby job but I'm struggling to figure out something that I'll enjoy yet provide enough flexibility to allow us to travel when we want.
The only thing that comes to mind is Uber driver but Uber hasn't been approved to operate in Vancouver yet.
We currently volunteer a few times a month. I was thinking about volunteering more and with different organizations when we have more time but I want to find the right position that interests me.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
I was a computer programmer before retirement.

I took a reading tutoring job in March, shortly after retirement. I had worked in daycare MANY years ago and thought working with kids and helping them with such an important skill would be fun. It started off 2 half-days a week, then ended up being 3. I just quit in June.

Having to be somewhere 3 days a week became a burden. Also, I didn't factor in that many of the kids were really young and did not want to be there.
I've done volunteer adult literacy tutoring for a number of years in retirement and really enjoy it. From time to time I've wondered about doing it for pay but I have absolutely zero credentials in the field so it's unlikely anyone would pay me. Besides, a real job reduces flexibility too much and I don't really need the money.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:49 PM   #50

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I agree that a real "j*b" could reduce flexibility too much. Plus although a j*b related to a personal passion sounds really fun, I'm not sure it really would be simply because it would be a j*b.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a "hobby job" that pays nothing but saves me plenty of money. Been retired now for less than a year, and I do many home improvement projects that I enjoy for the most part. I gues I will run out of projects eventually. On the other hand, it is an older home.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #52

Only hobby "j*b" I had following ER was driving cars from the dealer to the auction and repositioning new cars. Kind of liked the repositioning as there was a relative level of freedom. DW and I might drive 150 miles one way together in a dealer car and then pick up a car and drive back separately. Got paid by the mile and it worked out to maybe $7/hour. The auction run was more BS than you can imagine. The guy in charge was a bully and folks were expected to stay in a line so that the "chase" vehicle (the van that took us home) could pick up those whose cars didn't make it. If you were at the back of the pack, you ended up trying to drive 80 to catch up then need to brake hard to keep from plowing into the car ahead. Total cluster flop! If there were 3 trips in one day, the bully insisted on stopping at his favorite squat and gobble for lunch. Lousy food, lousy company lousy j*b. Lasted just a few trips and quit. If I had a chance to do repositioning only, I might do it again. Got to drive some really nice new cars that way.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #53

I am an MD and after deciding that I had had enough of clinical work my hobby jobs are teaching related. MD, PA, midwifery, and continuing med ed. I benefited from many outstanding teachers and if I had picked the one thing I loved as a vocation then teaching would have been it. So I feel very lucky to still be able to be involved.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #54

Most of my hobbies have some financial component or the potential for one that I could see expanding in retirement.

I like to play poker, or rather, I used to like to play poker before our second DD came along. Now I like to browse a poker strategy website now and then.

I collect comics. I buy a fair number of them with the logic of, "I can buy this for a dollar and sell it for three". However, I almost never actually get around to the selling part. I would enjoy actually selling some in retirement.

My aquarium hobby involves breeding tropical fish and plants, which I've sold at our local aquarium society auction on occasion. I could see devoting a little more effort to that in retirement.

Even my gardening hobby involves saving seeds and starting seedlings that could potentially be sold via SeedSavers.org/E-bay/Craigslist.

I doubt that any of these would amount to significant actual income in retirement, but they could earn enough to offset their costs as hobbies.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #55

I have spent the past 25 years developing IP and generating patents for other people (companies, clients), giving away my most valuable possessions - my ideas. My name is attached to quite a number of filings at the USPTO.

I have a notebook 2 inches thick full of other ideas "for myself" that I've toyed with for the last 15-20 years. I have no time to consider any of them right now due to work. Even when I have some short periods of time available, I'm too worn out to think about them.

When I FIRE in ~2 years, following at least a year of doing NOTHING, it will be cathartic to find a way to choose a few of the ideas and try to push them forward. Whether or not there would be any financial benefit to me from any of them doesn't matter a tiny bit - it just the "for me" part.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

The "Hobby Job" is something I think about often, but have no idea what it would be. I have been in Operations/Manufacturing Management for 25-30 years now, but don't want to consult for that (even if I could).

I love spreadsheets, analyzing financials/retirement scenarios, that kind of thing, but would not want to be responsible for someone else's decisions on their personal situation.... maybe seasonal tax prep?

As for other hobbies: I'm a private pilot, but not commercial rated and really don't think I would want to do anything commercially anyway.

Golf, DEFINITELY not gonna make money there....

I just don't know what I will do to make fun money when I pull the plug. Still thinking.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband is doing the same thing!!!! Only he ties up spring AND fall. I never dreamed retirement would be like this....waiting for him to finish his "hobby" so we can do things. Summers are too hot to fish and camp so that is over. I'm glad we winter in AZ, otherwise life would be dull.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
I have spent the past 25 years developing IP and generating patents for other people (companies, clients), giving away my most valuable possessions - my ideas. My name is attached to quite a number of filings at the USPTO.

I have a notebook 2 inches thick full of other ideas "for myself" that I've toyed with for the last 15-20 years. I have no time to consider any of them right now due to work. Even when I have some short periods of time available, I'm too worn out to think about them.

When I FIRE in ~2 years, following at least a year of doing NOTHING, it will be cathartic to find a way to choose a few of the ideas and try to push them forward. Whether or not there would be any financial benefit to me from any of them doesn't matter a tiny bit - it just the "for me" part.
I used to get up in the middle of the night to pursue my own technical investigation unfettered by corporate politics, stupidity, etc. It was a killer schedule (get home from w*rk around 6 PM, fix dinner, go to bed, get up at 11 PM, work on my own stuff until 3 AM, go to bed, get up at 5 AM, go to the gym, go to work, repeat...), however it was the only way that I could 'follow my passion'. After leaving the corporate world 9.5 years ago, I hit the ground running on my projects - no laying around doing nothing (sounds like torture).

Last year, I self-published my first book (contains the results from around 6 years worth of work). I'm doing the R&D for my second book now, and I have several other books I'd like to write. I don't care if anyone reads them, the satisfaction comes from producing something that meets my own standard for what constitutes excellence. All of my books involve material that requires a fair amount of software development R&D to develop fully, because that's really what I enjoy doing.

To save money, I handled all facets of book design & production myself. This was extremely labor-intensive, but interesting in its own right. I did hire a copyeditor, which was useful (I'm an engineer, not an English major). You can keep this development option in mind if one of your ideas matures into something that you think others might like to read. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #59

I do not know if you would call it a j*b, but I have a number that I do. During tax season, I work with AARP to prepare low income and senior's taxes. I volunteer on a tourist railroad as a docent. I also fly for Angel Flight and Pilots & Paws.
I get a great deal of satisfaction out of all these.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:40 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
I used to get up in the middle of the night to pursue my own technical investigation unfettered by corporate politics, stupidity, etc. It was a killer schedule (get home from w*rk around 6 PM, fix dinner, go to bed, get up at 11 PM, work on my own stuff until 3 AM, go to bed, get up at 5 AM, go to the gym, go to work, repeat...), however it was the only way that I could 'follow my passion'. After leaving the corporate world 9.5 years ago, I hit the ground running on my projects - no laying around doing nothing (sounds like torture).

Last year, I self-published my first book (contains the results from around 6 years worth of work). I'm doing the R&D for my second book now, and I have several other books I'd like to write. I don't care if anyone reads them, the satisfaction comes from producing something that meets my own standard for what constitutes excellence. All of my books involve material that requires a fair amount of software development R&D to develop fully, because that's really what I enjoy doing.

To save money, I handled all facets of book design & production myself. This was extremely labor-intensive, but interesting in its own right. I did hire a copyeditor, which was useful (I'm an engineer, not an English major). You can keep this development option in mind if one of your ideas matures into something that you think others might like to read. Good luck!
Awesome!! Congratulations!!
Thank you for the thoughts and encouragement!

Tags
part time work