Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hasn't affected my travel plans. I don't have any.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
ALl the focus on plane travel, large cities, large public gatherings at significant events..

How about these new super size cruise ships that hold 6500+ people? I don't even want to think what could happen if one were attacked at sea.....

I get anxious now when I turn on the TeeVee each morning....what will today's tragic story be?
Not as big as your example but it has happened.

MS Achille Lauro
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Hasn't affected my travel plans. I don't have any.
+1

We don't travel simply because we don't like it not because we're afraid of terrorists nutcases.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

No it has not. However, I don't travel internationally since I retired. Been there, done that.

Domestically (US) I still travel a lot and anywhere/anytime I want but try to be aware of my surroundings and am always "prepared" just in case. I don't (and hope I never will) allow any fears of terrorism or nut cases to change my plans.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not retired but from a travel planning perspective: Yes and no.

It plays a small part in our decision making process on where to go. There are so many places we want to visit. Why go to a place that might have issues right now when you can go next year?

It's not just about being impacted directly by a terrorist act that's an issue. Indirect impacts could be sites being closed, lines could be longer due to increased security checks, events could be cancelled, flights could be delayed/cancelled, etc.

If we're already booked, we'll analyse the situation and won't necessarily change plans. I know these aren't necessarily terrorist situations but it's still about risk assessment:
We still ended up going to Bangkok in 2014 when the odd bombings and shootings were going on with the government protests. And we still went to Seoul in 2015 when South Korea had the MERS outbreak. It was a lot less crowded!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #46

We are rethinking going back to USA to live for five years,IMHO Peru is far safer especially after the election of PPK. We will stay out of Lima when Obama comes in November.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #47

There are so many places that beckon to me, particularly in Europe, that I wonder if I'll ever tire of traveling there.

Even places I've been to more than once. I'll probably never tire of at least half a dozen European cities that I've visited numerous times. Summer, winter, whatever -- they keep calling me.

I firmly believe that my chances of being caught up in a terrorist action are no higher than being hit by a beer truck while crossing the street in my home town.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
There are so many places that beckon to me, particularly in Europe, that I wonder if I'll ever tire of traveling there.

Even places I've been to more than once. I'll probably never tire of at least half a dozen European cities that I've visited numerous times. Summer, winter, whatever -- they keep calling me.

I firmly believe that my chances of being caught up in a terrorist action are no higher than being hit by a beer truck while crossing the street in my home town.
That's how I feel. Half the time I wonder whether I'll move there.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

We really love Europe too.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #50

Well, so much for my trip to Turkey !
Old 07-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I know - oh crap!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I know - oh crap!
This doesn't mean borders close. Besides, nothing lasts forever.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This doesn't mean borders close. Besides, nothing lasts forever.
Attempted coups make things more difficult for tourists. Rules can change suddenly. If there is civil unrest - can be really bad.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Attempted coups make things more difficult for tourists. Rules can change suddenly. If there is civil unrest - can be really bad.
Yeah, I've experienced this first hand. Tanks and soldiers everywhere give a certain new perspective.

Wasn't suggesting it was ok to go right now, just that once (and if) things settle down, you can still plan on visiting. No rush.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yeah, I've experienced this first hand. Tanks and soldiers everywhere give a certain new perspective.
Oh, yeah!
Was in Argentina a few weeks after the coup in 1976.

Most interesting airport security I've ever seen. You had to line up with your bag and an Argentine Air Force soldier would stick the muzzle of his automatic rifle up your left nostril (as I recall it ) while opening your bag with his other hand and feeling around in it for (whatever). You just hoped his hand didn't encounter anything suspicious. When he was satisfied, he withdrew the muzzle from your nostril and you were allowed to zip up your bag and continue on to the boarding gate.

There were sandbagged machine gun nests on most intersections in downtown Buenos Aires, and roving patrols everywhere.

Interestingly, apart from those details, the city was utterly normal and it was a perfectly delightful visit.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Only indirectly. Flying has become so miserable DH and I rarely fly anymore unless it's a REALLY long distance (think Midwest to Alaska). It's partly the race to the bottom in service and quality of flying, but the TSA process is so awful and unpredictable that I find my blood pressure decreasing substantially once I get past the checkpoint. OK. Now I REALLY know if I'm on time to make my plane.

We were never big on the idea of traveling to the Middle East, even Turkey. I could see us staying away form France right now if we were planning a European trip. I feel very bad for all the good people in France who depend on tourism for their livelihood.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

No, it hasn't affected our travel plans. I have always thought that when I die, it would be better to go being eaten by a tiger on some glorious adventure, than drowning in my own spittle in a nursing home. So, no, other than avoiding obvious war zones, I say go for it.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #58

Zika has pretty much ruled out South/Central America for the short term, at least until more is known about what the disease can mean. (I'm one of those people who gets 25 bites for your 1).

Other than that, no. Pretty much every major passenger flight disaster (4/5 or so) of the last few years... I was on different flight within a 24 hour window of each, and I don't travel THAT often. So either fly with me, or stay grounded when I'm going airborne.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We are also booked on a transatlantic to Barcelona next spring . Hopefully that area will stay quiet.

Freedom of the Seas?

Enjoying life!
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Zika has pretty much ruled out South/Central America for the short term, at least until more is known about what the disease can mean. (I'm one of those people who gets 25 bites for your 1).

Other than that, no. Pretty much every major passenger flight disaster (4/5 or so) of the last few years... I was on different flight within a 24 hour window of each, and I don't travel THAT often. So either fly with me, or stay grounded when I'm going airborne.
Zika is one I haven't worried about since I'm well past childbearing age and the onset is mild, from what I understand. It can be sexually transmitted, but I am in a monogamous relationship. Guess I have to work that one out with DH.

Dengue is more frightening. They are finally making inroads with a vaccine. The problem with Dengue is that there are four strains, and exposure to one makes you more susceptible to bad outcomes if exposed to other strains. The vaccine has to handle all four at once otherwise they put the vaccinee at greater risk.

Chikungunya is pretty miserable, but not life threatening like Dengue, from what I understand.