Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Freedom of the Seas?

Enjoying life!
Yes !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We are also booked on a transatlantic to Barcelona next spring . Hopefully that area will stay quiet.
We're visiting Barcelona soon. I'm not expecting it to be particularly quiet.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #63
Administrator

The whole point of terrorism is not to kill a lot of people just to kill them, but to thereby spread fear and affect the lives of as many people in the target country as possible. If I change my plans due to the acts of a terrorist, they have been successful. As a matter of principle, I will not do that. It is the same reason that I put on my suit and went back to work in Manhattan on 9/12/01.

Besides, I have to die someday. I might as well make the news when I do.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes I'm past the child-bearing age too, and DH got that taken care of for me. But it seems the experts still aren't sure on all that it can cause, for men too (guillain Barre etc.). So I'd rather wait till that's better understood. Just figured no rush for costa rica next year which would be a go to otherwise. We love to go to Japan which seems to be a non-target area, but that's more likely a plan for 2019 (nicely ahead of the 2020 olympics), we were just there last year and I don't need to be tempted to go back!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have written off a few countries due to the terror or unrest, like Syria, Afghanistan, Egypt, etc.
Largely the issue is not that we expect to get killed in a crowd, pretty unlikely.
It's more that we are tourists, we don't know the area, we can easily be tricked/led or found wandering around a deadly place.

Someone mentioned the killing rate is high in Chicago, and it is currently about 2,100 shootings with 300 deaths so far this year, sounds pretty bad, but if you know to stay out of the South and West parts of the city, it's pretty safe.
I'll go to downtown Chicago for various things and only worry about normal crime. I stay out of the West and South side.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #66

Nope. Europe and Africa in September.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I own a small apartment in Paris I rent to tourists, mainly American. 2015 was way down - not surprising with horrible attacks at both the start and end of the year. This year seems to be tracking more like the average with no last minute cancels. But the world is a messy and ugly place - unfortunately no where is perfectly safe.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-16-2016, 05:48 AM   #68

There are places I won't travel to, now. Glad I got Turkey in a few years ago. Generally avoid Muslim countries now.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:01 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Yes !

We just booked that a few days ago!

Enjoying life!
Old 07-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #70

When I heard about the attempted coup in Turkey last night, I thought "Wow... guess my comment on E-R.org about avoiding Istanbul was more prescient than I expected." Of course, this wasn't related to terrorism, but still, being trapped even for a day or two in a country undergoing a military coup would be pretty terrifying. I just think it's wise in this current era of geopolitical upheaval and Islamist threats to think very carefully about visiting certain countries for a while. Turkey is definitely near the top of my "most eager to visit" list, but I'm OK waiting until things get a bit more stable before making any trip plans.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm making sure my car tail lights are working properly.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #72

We had a trip to Istanbul booked for this August, which we ended up cancelling a couple of months ago (we're spending more time in Italy instead). At the time, it was mostly because our non-stop flight was changed to a stop-over flight that wasn't nearly as convenient. But this was a booking we hedged and made sure we could cancel without penalties. In retrospect, I'm glad we did. I'd really like to visit Istanbul, but we decided that as tourists, we want to be on vacation, not thinking about security, etc. Istanbul isn't going anywhere.

We are visiting Paris for a few days, in addition to other bigger European cities, and aren't worried. Odds are that we'll be fine.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

I have gotten to the point where cities and large crowds make me uncomfortable, and the TSA has made airline travel unbearable. If I cannot feasibly drive there, I generally do not want to go.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Unfortunately its in everyones minds now. Whether you want to admit it or not. Doesnt mean you have to change your travel or retirement plans...but in the back of your mind creeps the thought of terrorism. Its what they wanted and its what they got. The media doesnt help either.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Unfortunately its in everyones minds now. Whether you want to admit it or not. Doesnt mean you have to change your travel or retirement plans...but in the back of your mind creeps the thought of terrorism. Its what they wanted and its what they got. The media doesnt help either.
So is fear of cancer, drunk drivers and the IRS, to name a few that I'm much more afraid of.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

I was considering a trip to Istanbul. I've been studying the history of that city and the Byzantine Empire. I'll
hold off for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

No. I am more concerned with pickpockets and cab drivers, but we are worn out from international travel, DW more than I so we go no more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
No. I am more concerned with pickpockets and cab drivers, but we are worn out from international travel, DW more than I so we go no more.
Those are exactly my main concerns for our upcoming trip!
Old 07-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #79

Has terrorism affected your retirement plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Those are exactly my main concerns for our upcoming trip!

+1

And try to explain that to a couple of teenagers who love to carry their gadgets with them.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement plans, no. Things might be different when I retire in ~10 years. I hope the situation will be better, but it'll probably be worse.

Travel plans, yes. I visited the UK and Australia this year and I'll visit Canada next year, but after that I plan to stop traveling for 5 years. This will allow me to save more money, and I'll reassess the situation in 2022.