Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I must be the only freak here that still gets up really early like 6 a.m. Sometimes 4 a.m., sometimes 8 a.m. Why can't I be like the rest of you and sleep longer, I wonder? Hmmmm......and I even do this on mornings when I have worked out like crazy the night before. Now this is irritating....unfair I say!
There is nothing more peaceful than enjoying an early cup of coffee in the garden at dawn, listening to the birds as they begin their morning songs and watching the faint light of dawn wash over everything.

I had always thought that I would get up early in ER, because I love those early morning hours so. But during recent vacations I have found a tendency to sleep in until 8-9 AM. So maybe I will be one of those who sleeps in, too.

Or, maybe I will set the alarm.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I must be the only freak here that still gets up really early like 6 a.m. Sometimes 4 a.m., sometimes 8 a.m. Why can't I be like the rest of you and sleep longer, I wonder? Hmmmm......and I even do this on mornings when I have worked out like crazy the night before. Now this is irritating....unfair I say!
I'm usually up at 5. I like to watch the sunrise. Sometimes I feel like sleeping until 8 or 9 and then that’s what I do.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I'm usually up at 5. I like to watch the sunrise. Sometimes I feel like sleeping until 8 or 9 and then that’s what I do.
The great part is: it's your choice.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Or, maybe I will set the alarm.
One of my favorite pre-retirement dreams was using a huge mallet to smash that thing.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One of my favorite pre-retirement dreams was using a huge mallet to smash that thing.
I think I've used the alarm once since I retire (31 Dec 2004).
Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Recently I've been sleeping in until about 7am or maybe 7:30am. But actually that's because I've been popping benadryl (2 tablets before bed) because of allergies at this time of year. I think the extra sleep (around 9 hours) is nice but not essential. I could probably do with 7 to 8 hours sleep very nicely. Am I missing something in life? Orchirdflower's got me wondering just like we appear to have her wondering. The grass is always greener ...
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I didn't say I woke up at 7...I get up at 7...I still wake up at 5 AM but the nice thing is I can snuggle up to DW and go back to sleep now.

The body clock is a tough one to reset. After waking up at 5 or so for decades the Bioclock alarm still goes off at that time. I guess in time it will fade away. It is still better than actually getting up at that time. Oh the joys of not working anymore.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I only set the alarm for those rare days when I HAVE to be somewhere for an appointment; the rest of the time I tend to get up around 7:30 or so when the dogs start begging to be let outside. And I love to turn on the TV and watch the traffic reports about the daily jams on my former route to work!

When I first retired (12/06), my sleeping habits were all out of whack. For decades I slept on average 5 to 5-1/2 hours a night, waking at 5 or 5:15 am (and feeling grumpy more often than not)-- and then sleeping 10 to 11 hours a night on weekends or days off. For about two months after leaving work, I was sleeping longer, but was less rested because of work related dreams (more like nightmares!) Now, I get 8 to 9 hours of good, restorative sleep every night and feel wonderful throughout the day.

I do keep a rudimentary to-do list, just to keep from forgetting to replenish groceries, pay the bills on time etc. And I may look at it every day...or I might not. That's the wonder of retirement!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My excuse is that I spent all those years getting up for the 0600-1200 watch. I'm usually up by 4 AM, occasionally at 3 AM, and never past 5:30.

But the naps help a lot. I'd hate to give those up just for a longer night's sleep...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But the naps help a lot. I'd hate to give those up just for a longer night's sleep...
You've got that right! I look forward to my afternoon siesta!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #51

I'm an early waker upper but really would prefer staying asleep longer. I'm awake at 4 or 5, then read in bed for awhile until 6:00. I don't like letting my dog outside really early in the morning since she sometimes barks and I can't always hear her. So, I try not to let her out until at least 6:30. In cold weather, I sometimes go out in my robe and coat, with her on a leash....wearing my slip-on white boots. As long as it's DARK maybe the neighbors won't have me committed.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:54 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

No, most mornings I stay home. I've been retired for about six months only, so still trying to get comfortable with a routine. Tried having certain days for this and that, like grocery shopping, but that didn't last long. Now I just run errands when I feel like it, or when I need something and can't put it off any longer.

I find that I'm really busy, but not at a hectic pace like when I worked. So far, retirement is very nice.
zoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey View Post
.......Tried having certain days for this and that, like grocery shopping, but that didn't last long. Now I just run errands when I feel like it, or when I need something and can't put it off any longer.
I don't have specific shopping days either, but I just try to NEVER have to go on a weekends! I prefer doing grocery store runs in the late morning or mid afternoon during the week.....that's when I've found the store the least crowded. I only go to the bank about once a month to grab a couple hundred bucks for spending money.......and I make sure to NEVER go there at 'lunch time' or on Fridays. Any other shopping and errands usually follow the same format as my grocery shopping and banking.

I stay out of the stores and banks during the busy times, to make it easier for all those busy working people to get all their errands done in the small amount of free time that they have..........Yeah, right! I stay out of those places at busy times because I HATE crowds and long lines!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I don't have specific shopping days either, but I just try to NEVER have to go on a weekends! I prefer doing grocery store runs in the late morning or mid afternoon during the week.....that's when I've found the store the least crowded. I only go to the bank about once a month to grab a couple hundred bucks for spending money.......and I make sure to NEVER go there at 'lunch time' or on Fridays. Any other shopping and errands usually follow the same format as my grocery shopping and banking.

I stay out of the stores and banks during the busy times, to make it easier for all those busy working people to get all their errands done in the small amount of free time that they have..........Yeah, right! I stay out of those places at busy times because I HATE crowds and long lines!!!
I am the same way. I also plan ahead around bad weather so I don't end up shopping on a weekend. I try to make all appointments for 9 or 10 AM. Sometimes I mess up and don't plan around holidays.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I also plan ahead around bad weather......
I got busy yesterday, and just figured I'd go grab some groceries today instead. Then I saw the weather forecast last night for wind and rain today (and for once the weather guy got it right), so I'm going to head out bright & early tomorrow morning (about 7am)......on a Friday.....against my better judgment......and grab what little I need to hold me over until Monday.
rental suggestions??
Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #56
Confused about dryer sheets

rental suggestions??

I joined and posted earlier today but now can't find myself (story of my life!) So I'll ask again.

Looking for Jan to Mar rentals in anyplace warm Texas, Arkansas. South America, Asia.
Anyone have some websites they can suggest? Or hints on searching?
I don't seem to be able to narrow it down very much.
Readytogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytogo View Post
I joined and posted earlier today but now can't find myself (story of my life!) So I'll ask again.
Here you are: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post651548

Welcome to the forum. There are several members who live in the areas you noted in your question and they will be along sooner or later. One thing about this board is; don't get in a hurry. Most of us are retired and we do things at OUR speed.

Use Google to search for places you would like to stay. Be more specific than a state or a continent. Asia is a pretty big place. The best way to find things it to get a map and make a list of cities or areas you might find interesting (beach vs mountains vs plains vs swamp etc. ). Then start searching on places like Fromer's to see what they have to say about them. There are many ways to find what you seek. Begin and learn as you go. Finding these places can be half the fun.