Have I Said....

mountaintosea

Full time employment: Posting here.
how happy I am? How glad I am to have taken the plunge? True it is only Day 5. I've only done really mundane and uninteresting things, such as cleaning house, taking the dog to the vets, going to the movies, working out etc. But this retirement business can't be beat! I have bouts of absolute euphoria! I announced to the vet today "Hey I retired on Friday". What a GREAT feeling! So when does this feeling wear off? I am much more patient now when I have to wait. When the working stiff apologizes for the delay, I smile and say "that's OK". I actually feel sorry for them and their miserable working day! Life is good!:smitten:

Congrats to you. I hope the "feeling" doesn't wear off for at least 20 to 30 years. Enjoy!

how happy I am? How glad I am to have taken the plunge? True it is only Day 5. I've only done really mundane and uninteresting things, such as cleaning house, taking the dog to the vets, going to the movies, working out etc. But this retirement business can't be beat! I have bouts of absolute euphoria! I announced to the vet today "Hey I retired on Friday". What a GREAT feeling! So when does this feeling wear off? I am much more patient now when I have to wait. When the working stiff apologizes for the delay, I smile and say "that's OK". I actually feel sorry for them and their miserable working day! Life is good!:smitten:

I've been experiencing that feeling for over two years. Exactly the way you describe it. :D I can't make it go away.

Sitting here at w*rk - you guys are killing me! But, you keep me striving for the brass ring. Thanks and enjoy

Still feeling good over 5 years and counting. We are getting too busy to ever contemplate commitment again.

Keep the good reports coming. 18 more Mega Corp working days to go!

Still feeling good over 5 years and counting. We are getting too busy to ever contemplate commitment again.

It's been over 6 years for me. I'm not busy, but I don't want to recommit either. :)

You know, life IS good. I retired seven years ago. For months I would just be doing my thing, going about my everyday business (business like having a cup of tea, going to the gym midday to workout, taking a nap), and all of a sudden I would just have this euphoric realization re-settle over me---I'm FREE--Isn' this GREAT---I feel GOOD:eek:.

And you know the best part---those sudden moments of euphoria never really disappear entirely. They may not happen as often, or perhaps last as continuously as at first, but at unexpected times, they will continue to creep up on you and just make you want to SHOUT---I FILL GOOD! (cue up James Brown):D

Congratulations. Enjoy.

You know, life IS good. I retired seven years ago. For months I would just be doing my thing, going about my everyday business (business like having a cup of tea, going to the gym midday to workout, taking a nap), and all of a sudden I would just have this euphoric realization re-settle over me---I'm FREE--Isn' this GREAT---I feel GOOD:eek:.

And you know the best part---those sudden moments of euphoria never really disappear entirely. They may not happen as often, or perhaps last as continuously as at first, but at unexpected times, they will continue to creep up on you and just make you want to SHOUT---I FILL GOOD! (cue up James Brown):D

Congratulations. Enjoy.

So true.

I recall one day about six months after retiring: it was a gorgeous sunny breezy June day and as I walked back across the street from the mailbox I found myself playing 'airplane' (putting my arms out straight and zooming around). It came to me that I hadn't felt that free and happy and joyful in decades. Hope I didn't scare the neighbors.:cool:

Congratulations and welcome to the Club!

Being free from the tyrany of a daily j*b is a mind expanding experience. It has only been 6 months for me and the full impact of no longer w*rking has not yet hit me. I still get brief feelings of dread on Sunday nights but then I quickly realize I don't have to go to w*rk in the morning.

We are far too busy to even consider doing anything other than what we are doing for ourselves right now. We are downsizing, looking for a house 350 miles away, getting our house ready to market, planning 2 more RV trips, planning visits to family, getting our dogs trained, getting DW's continuing health issues worked on one by one, etc. In our spare time we even go out once in a while.

W*rk? No way I have time for that.

Congratulations! I love hearing these freedom stories....I have about 14 years to go, but I will get there one day at a time!
I pretend that I am retired over long holiday weekends, vacation, and the regular weekends so I can practice!

Khan: That is cool when you did the airplane.....I am thinking of brushing up on my cartwheels so I can do that down the block!

Congratulations! I love hearing these freedom stories....I have about 14 years to go, but I will get there one day at a time!
I pretend that I am retired over long holiday weekends, vacation, and the regular weekends so I can practice!

Khan: That is cool when you did the airplane.....I am thinking of brushing up on my cartwheels so I can do that down the block!

I like your attitude. You are a prime ER candidate. If you need a letter of recommendation when you apply to the ER club, I will be glad to commend you for membership!!

PS--I'd like to watch you doing those cartwheels.

For two years now, retirement has been the happiest days of my life. I relish the freedom to do what I want to, when I want to.

Coming up on one year now and am absolutely proud to be lazier than I ever was while working. I am the nicest boss I ever had! I get all my necessary chores done, at my pace, when I want. The rest of the time is mine to piddle away as I see fit, maybe even doing what some would consider W**K but on my schedule.
2fer

Coming up on one year now and am absolutely proud to be lazier than I ever was while working. I am the nicest boss I ever had! I get all my necessary chores done, at my pace, when I want. The rest of the time is mine to piddle away as I see fit, maybe even doing what some would consider W**K but on my schedule.
2fer

Yup! Same here. I am much happier every day. Little annoyances don't bother me as much as they did when I was working and little pleasures seem much more pleasant. Wouldn't change a thing!

Back
Top Bottom