Join Early Retirement Today

Have I Said....
Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have I Said....

how happy I am? How glad I am to have taken the plunge? True it is only Day 5. I've only done really mundane and uninteresting things, such as cleaning house, taking the dog to the vets, going to the movies, working out etc. But this retirement business can't be beat! I have bouts of absolute euphoria! I announced to the vet today "Hey I retired on Friday". What a GREAT feeling! So when does this feeling wear off? I am much more patient now when I have to wait. When the working stiff apologizes for the delay, I smile and say "that's OK". I actually feel sorry for them and their miserable working day! Life is good!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats to you. I hope the "feeling" doesn't wear off for at least 20 to 30 years. Enjoy!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
I have bouts of absolute euphoria!
Congrats! - I can't wait to fully ER. Right now my only bouts of euphoria take place on my days off work.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 AM   #4

Quote:
how happy I am? How glad I am to have taken the plunge? True it is only Day 5. I've only done really mundane and uninteresting things, such as cleaning house, taking the dog to the vets, going to the movies, working out etc. But this retirement business can't be beat! I have bouts of absolute euphoria! I announced to the vet today "Hey I retired on Friday". What a GREAT feeling! So when does this feeling wear off? I am much more patient now when I have to wait. When the working stiff apologizes for the delay, I smile and say "that's OK". I actually feel sorry for them and their miserable working day! Life is good!

I've been experiencing that feeling for over two years. Exactly the way you describe it. I can't make it go away.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But this retirement business can't be beat! I have bouts of absolute euphoria!
Still happening going on three years in.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:12 AM   #6

Sitting here at w*rk - you guys are killing me! But, you keep me striving for the brass ring. Thanks and enjoy
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The sense of freedom is the best part .
Old 11-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Still feeling good over 5 years and counting. We are getting too busy to ever contemplate commitment again.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Sitting here at w*rk - you guys are killing me! But, you keep me striving for the brass ring. Thanks and enjoy
Same here. 723 more days, and I'll be retired! I can hardly wait.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep the good reports coming. 18 more Mega Corp working days to go!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Still feeling good over 5 years and counting. We are getting too busy to ever contemplate commitment again.
Yep.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
It's been over 6 years for me. I'm not busy, but I don't want to recommit either.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
You know, life IS good. I retired seven years ago. For months I would just be doing my thing, going about my everyday business (business like having a cup of tea, going to the gym midday to workout, taking a nap), and all of a sudden I would just have this euphoric realization re-settle over me---I'm FREE--Isn' this GREAT---I feel GOOD.

And you know the best part---those sudden moments of euphoria never really disappear entirely. They may not happen as often, or perhaps last as continuously as at first, but at unexpected times, they will continue to creep up on you and just make you want to SHOUT---I FILL GOOD! (cue up James Brown)

Congratulations. Enjoy.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

6 weeks, 1 day, 1 hour, 55 minutes.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
6 weeks, 1 day, 1 hour, 55 minutes.
You're practically breaking the tape at the finish line already! I can feel your positive energy and expectation throught the interent either.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
You know, life IS good. I retired seven years ago. For months I would just be doing my thing, going about my everyday business (business like having a cup of tea, going to the gym midday to workout, taking a nap), and all of a sudden I would just have this euphoric realization re-settle over me---I'm FREE--Isn' this GREAT---I feel GOOD.

And you know the best part---those sudden moments of euphoria never really disappear entirely. They may not happen as often, or perhaps last as continuously as at first, but at unexpected times, they will continue to creep up on you and just make you want to SHOUT---I FILL GOOD! (cue up James Brown)

Congratulations. Enjoy.
So true.

I recall one day about six months after retiring: it was a gorgeous sunny breezy June day and as I walked back across the street from the mailbox I found myself playing 'airplane' (putting my arms out straight and zooming around). It came to me that I hadn't felt that free and happy and joyful in decades. Hope I didn't scare the neighbors.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations and welcome to the Club!

Being free from the tyrany of a daily j*b is a mind expanding experience. It has only been 6 months for me and the full impact of no longer w*rking has not yet hit me. I still get brief feelings of dread on Sunday nights but then I quickly realize I don't have to go to w*rk in the morning.

We are far too busy to even consider doing anything other than what we are doing for ourselves right now. We are downsizing, looking for a house 350 miles away, getting our house ready to market, planning 2 more RV trips, planning visits to family, getting our dogs trained, getting DW's continuing health issues worked on one by one, etc. In our spare time we even go out once in a while.

W*rk? No way I have time for that.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:50 AM   #18

Congratulations! I love hearing these freedom stories....I have about 14 years to go, but I will get there one day at a time!
I pretend that I am retired over long holiday weekends, vacation, and the regular weekends so I can practice!

Khan: That is cool when you did the airplane.....I am thinking of brushing up on my cartwheels so I can do that down the block!
Old 11-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Congratulations! I love hearing these freedom stories....I have about 14 years to go, but I will get there one day at a time!
I pretend that I am retired over long holiday weekends, vacation, and the regular weekends so I can practice!

Khan: That is cool when you did the airplane.....I am thinking of brushing up on my cartwheels so I can do that down the block!

I like your attitude. You are a prime ER candidate. If you need a letter of recommendation when you apply to the ER club, I will be glad to commend you for membership!!

PS--I'd like to watch you doing those cartwheels.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:23 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

For two years now, retirement has been the happiest days of my life. I relish the freedom to do what I want to, when I want to.