Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
If I have my list of ToDo errands all set up, it goes quickly. If I'm just cruising around in the Stang or hanging at the lake, time goes slowly.
How's that for an ambiguous answer?
And yet, it's all good, right?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting article. Thanks. For me, by far the best way to slow time down is to travel to interesting places. Days seem like weeks then. At work or even around the house, it's the opposite.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
When I was still at megacorp, I was practically watching the minutes pass every day. Like looking at my watch (or computer clock) and seeing that only 15 minutes have passed since the last time I looked.
That is exactly how it was for me during much of the last 2 years
Old 02-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
And yet, it's all good, right?
Absolutely positively fantabulous.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Time does seem to slow down when I'm at the gym doing a hard routine . I keep looking at the clock but it never moves now on Friday when I do Kickboxing in the water time flies .
Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

No I have been not able to. However Jermey Camps sings about it.

I haven't heard this song in what seems like ages..
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

All my days end by my running out of time, not of interesting things to do. I imagine my life may end the same way; lots of nice plans but no more time.

Ha
Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I'm trying, but it's a heck of a pace to keep up.

I have this idea that our minds perceive time in terms of prior experience. That is, when we've only lived 10 years, another year is 10% of our experience so far, so it feels like a long, long time. Now at 56, it's less than 1.8% of my life experience, and, well, that's just a really small portion that goes by way too fast.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Even though I said 'adios' to the w*rkplace in 1998, I didn't really feel all the benefits of being retired because DH was still w*rking. I could tell if he had a good day or not just by the way he walked in the door in the evening.

The last year of his employment seemed excruciatingly slow.

It blows my mind to think he's been retired for a year now. This past year has flown by. It's fun to watch him still get giddy every once in a while when he realizes he does not have to go to work and deal with the bs again. Whether the time goes by quickly or slowly makes no difference to me; what is important is that I find joy in each day.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

When I was about eight years old I was walking to the dentist. I hated the dentist (who didn't give enough laughing gas). So I held my thumb and forefinger together, and I looked at them, and I thought "OK, I'll hold them like this and look at them again after the dentist. When I do that the dentist visit will just be a memory. Therefore, it will be like skipping ahead in time by an hour, and skipping the actual dentist experience." I did that, and it worked. I remember this as if it were yesterday.

Well, I just did it again right now, and so I have skipped ahead 48 years. 48 years that are now just a memory. Whoops.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Well, I just did it again right now, and so I have skipped ahead 48 years. 48 years that are now just a memory. Whoops.
That falls in the "be careful what you wish for" category -- a whole other thread!
Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo View Post
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Groucho
(I came out of lurking for that?)
Welcome Aldo, but you are going to have to watch those politics around here..
Old 02-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
Those of you who are already retired, what’s been your experience?
When the good stuff happens, ER time goes even more quickly. During my working years it used to be "Wow, I can't believe that hour went by so fast." During ER it's "Holy crap, it's the weekend again already?!?"

When the bad stuff happens, time probably moves at the same pace. However afterward I'm always told "Geez, Nords, didn't know you could move that fast!" So accomplishing a lot of damage control in a very short interval probably makes time seem as if it was moving more slowly.

I've also noticed, both during work and during ER, that the bad stuff is seared much more deeply into my cerebral cortex. During that time I was probably recording at 3-4x normal speed and the extra details on playback make it seem like slow motion. And, no, I'm not willing to experiment more with that phenomenon...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Am I the only one reminded of the move Wanted every time this thread bubbles to the surface? (I keep waiting for someone to post a how-to guide for slowing down time in this thread; you all have always been so helpful in the past.)

IMDB Link: Wanted (2008)
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #35
Administrator

Every time I see this thread I think of Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle. I would have provided a youtube link, but I can't find a good video there of Croce himself actually singing it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

You can slow down time by being bored ala Dunbar in Catch 22.

I find that when time moves quickly because I am really into what I am doing or enjoying myself, it doesn't matter. Because I enjoyed myself. Plus I have the pleasant memory which in its own way prolongs life.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #37

I have been unemployed for 7.5 months and the time has zoomed by. Feels like it's been only a few weeks (but a wonderful few weeks). Kind of scary. I start my new j*b 3/22. I'm very curious to see how time passes in a totally new environment where I will be learning a lot. The time has been passing too fast but I live in terror of the days dragging.