Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We sold most of our better furniture to a local consignment store. They came and looked at it and offered to pay 67% of what it would be sold on consignment. They hauled it off. We took the check! Sayonara.

The basic and not so nice furniture we gave to Salvation Army. They came and got it, even though it took a few trips.

Many folks getting rid of whole households of stuff go the route of an estate sale.

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Having just done our first garage sale last weekend, I vote for DONATE!!!!!

I'd sell whatever large items you can via Craig's list or local paper, then whatever you have left over, donate. To us, it just wasn't worth our time to mark tons of things, haggle with people, lift/move/pack/unpack boxes, etc. Should have just given it all away from the beginning (except for the large stuff). We were exhausted after it was all over.

Find an organization that will pick up. The feeling of freedom you get from getting rid of stuff is awesome. We now have almost everything we own fitting into a 2 bedroom apartment!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
I vote for donating rather than the garage sale route.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:16 PM   #23

I vote for donating rather than the garage sale route.

We've had several garage sales, with varying results. The first one many years ago generated $1,700 -- the most recent one, less than $200. Next time, I'll post the better stuff on eBay and donate the rest...the garage sale route is just too labor intensive for the value returned.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 PM   #24

when we had to remove mom from house we set her up in a double room at the nursing home so she could still have lots of her stuff but there was still so much left. i wanted to give it all to charity. sister-in-law wanted to do a rummage sale. i gave in to sil. awful, awful, awful. strangers walking through my mother's house & touching her things. people stealing stuff. way more effort & time than it was worth. never again.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:12 PM   #25

I am clearing out my stuff and moving soon. I have been using craigslist successfully as part of this downsizing (I am moving 500 miles). By doing this, I don't even need a moving truck to move, which saves a lot of cash. The furniture I am selling is pretty cheap stuff to begin with.

I have mostly used craigslist to clear out furniture that I can't give to Goodwill or Salvation Army because I don't have a truck and it is heavy. I have given other furniture to friends.

Here is a Tip: Waste less time by providing full information. I just sold one piece of damaged furniture today. I had two buyers quite interested before this buyer, but I explained damage in detail over the phone and sent each of them 8 detailed photos (which they could also share with their spouses). They each declined. Then one guy I talked with after viewing the photos came by and paid full price. So far, each person who has come for each piece of furniture has bought it since I provided full information to them. Also, I am a brutally honest person, not just trying to get people over to buy merchandise, and people can sense that and appreciate that you are trying to save them time. That also helped me to sell a round trip flight credit that I could not use on craigslist for a good price last week.

Also, for something you are selling, be a little patient before lowering the price and plan to post before and around the weekend. It is easy for us semi-retirees to forget that people have jobs during the week People seem to go shopping on the weekend.

I gave away some stuff, too, that would be too heavy to carry (my 12 year old bed, cheap patio table), and met some quite interesting people as a result. In fact, we have had some follow up conversations -- one lady wants me to meet her niece when I am traveling. And one guy even lives in the Philippines 1/3 of the time and is semi-retired -- I am going to ask him a few more questions.

I have a pile of stuff to give away now that will easily fit in my car for the trip to Salvation Army.

Kramer (in downsizing mode and feeling good!)
Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #26

when we moved, we sold or gave away all of our furniture... i was also surprised at how little interest there was in our nice leather couches - the ideal bachelor set! i think my SO eventually gave them away to friends. but our dining set, fridge, and a few other small things went from craigs list.

in our neighborhood, we've been surprised at how things "disappear" when you put them on the curb (intended for pick up) and they are gone the next day...
Old 06-25-2007, 12:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
As Al says, it is not so much a money thing, but a get rid of stuff thing. Part of my Goodwill resistance is just getting all the stuff to Goodwill. And they don't help you unload. If we can get it there, we might as well move it to the new place. I want someone to come to me and take it away.
Martha, we had a garage sale and will never do it again. Big investment in time for little money, really didn't like dealing with the folks that parked on the lawn and wanted to spend a $1 for something really worth $20, etc. We have a couple outfits that come and pickup - Vietnam Vets, ARC,
There is a clearing house here in the twin cities - the Smart Givers Network - (collection of charities that accept drop off as well as in some case will pickup -one that caught my eye is Association of Non-Smokers of Minnesota (who knew?)). there maybe a branch in Duluth. However, these outfits can be picky about what they picky-up - one no-no is upholstered furniture.

We recently have gotten serious about downsizing and have been just putting stuff out at the curb with a for free sign on them. Gave me a chance to hone my marketing skills - at first I just said free on a computer monitor...when it didn't "sell" the first day - I replaced it with "For A Limited Time Only - Works perfectly and IT'S FREE! for TODAY ONLY!!". - Gone in an hour!

Last month we put a sofa and loveseat out and the mail lady and husband came that night and took it - she updated me later that they replaced furniture in their rec room with it - they gave their stuff to their kids - who gave their stuff to charity - neat chain reaction uh? No money, but I get a warm fuzzy feeling from it....

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:04 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I want someone to come to me and take it away.
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation? Salvation Army?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
in our neighborhood, we've been surprised at how things "disappear" when you put them on the curb (intended for pick up) and they are gone the next day...
One of our neighbors had a couple of things on the curb with a "free" sign on....nobody took them. A couple days later he took off the "free" sign, and put on one with a price. Within a couple of hours someone came by and "stole" the stuff!!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
didn't like dealing with the folks that wanted to spend a $1 for something really worth $20
Sorry about that. I would have gone to $2 if you had haggled.

Overheard at garage sale last weekend:

"Would you take $5 for this?"
"You'll have to talk to my husband -- he's the dicker."
Old 06-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #31

Quote:
As Al says, it is not so much a money thing, but a get rid of stuff thing. Part of my Goodwill resistance is just getting all the stuff to Goodwill. And they don't help you unload. If we can get it there, we might as well move it to the new place. I want someone to come to me and take it away.
You might check out Freecycle, then, too.

Around here you can call the local charity and they'll send a van to pick up stuff. I gave them an old full mattress set and frame that way.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Just had a woman buy the furniture I had listed on Craigslist. Going to put on my treadmill and Nordic track ski machine. Looking at Craigslist in the cities I can replace these for very little and they are a PITA to move.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just had a woman buy the furniture I had listed on Craigslist. Going to put on my treadmill and Nordic track ski machine. Looking at Craigslist in the cities I can replace these for very little and they are a PITA to move.
So, you're definitely moving to Minneapolis/St. Paul? Sorry if I missed something - just noticed your comments above.

Great cities to live in.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

We accepted an offer on our house, so I guess we will have to move.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Sorry about that. I would have gone to $2 if you had haggled.

Overheard at garage sale last weekend:

"Would you take $5 for this?"
"You'll have to talk to my husband -- he's the dicker."
just saw this...Al, I don't dick around.
also, when I encountered this person who had the bad manners to offer about 5% of the stated price....I replayed in my head that scene in Home Alone where the little boy played on the TV the old movie scene of the gangster telling the guy he had 10 secs to get his dirty yellow kiester off his property ...1 2 3 rat atattattat!..remember that?...instead I said I would rather give it away than sell it to him and that he should quickly get off the property...
Old 06-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We accepted an offer on our house, so I guess we will have to move.
You'll like the "Little Apple"...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien View Post
when I encountered this person who had the bad manners to offer about 5% of the stated price.......instead I said I would rather give it away than sell it to him and that he should quickly get off the property...
Oh that was your place DanTien. Sorry I didn't recognize you. No offense, nothing personal, it's just the standard opening bid that I make, so we can come to some sort of middle ground.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post
Oh that was your place DanTien. Sorry I didn't recognize you. No offense, nothing personal, it's just the standard opening bid that I make, so we can come to some sort of middle ground.
Hey, tell ya what I'm going to give you sticks, I'm going to give you to the count of ten to get your ____,_____,_____ keister off my property ...and keep your change! Hey, No offense, nothing personal sticks, I just like saying that!

Can't decide which scene I like better - maybe the Pizza delivery...

Old 06-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Iím the customer! One morning I looked out the window and saw a chest of drawers at a garage sale, so went across and bought it. Thanks, now I know to haggle. But there is competition with the free curb store. Someone put another bread machine out on the curb the other day, marked "Free, works great, used rarely." Oh, boy, I took it in, I always wanted a bread machine to use rarely and store forever (disguised as R2D2). Looked up the instructions on the internet but decided maybe a part was missing and didnít want to clean it. So it went back out on the curb. Iím very fond of my chest of plastic storage drawers from the curb. Picked up Martha Stewartís "Wedding Planner" book from a free table and made $26.00 on Amazon.com.

Much of the family stuff was "absorbed" into my sisterís house after others took what they wanted. I took only a small piece of furniture and hope not to deal with it again.

I, too, always have a great sense of release, relief, and freedom after a charity picks up my treasures.