Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I took a 3-month sabbatical in 2005, simply stating that I was burned out and needed a good solid break (was true!). This has been the happiest time of my time. I still have stars in my eyes. Been thinking about early retirement ever since. Getting there! Soon!

I was lucky enough (or needed enough) to find my job back, actually a redefinition of it in a good direction.

Only caveat is that my RSUs stopped vesting during this time, and of course I didn't get paid, but this was well worth it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I am seriously thinking about approaching my employer about a 6 month or 1 year sabbatical. In all likelihood I would use this as a ER dry run... with very limited intentions of going back. Indeed, if during that leave, our net worth continues to increase at a decent clip (a necessary condition for me to retire in my early 40's) I would not return at all.

But if my calculations are wrong, and I have to go back to work, my position would be there for me. Then again, one of the reasons I haven't retired already is that my wife and I are close to saving 8k every month (if dividends are included). This is hard to walk away from, even for a sabbatical. I've mentioned it elsewhere on this board, but the OMY syndrome has its meaty hooks into me.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I took two sabbatical of about 10 weeks each, it was nice perk 8 weeks paid every 7 years. I enjoyed them immensely and second one was the catalyst for ER.

When I retired I actually took a 1 year leave of absence. The big advantage for me was that it allowed me to postpone exercising my stock option until the next year after I left California, and had no other income. At the end of year I considered going back to work for a couple of more years in order to vest in more options. Fortunately I didn't cause the stock plunged from 70 to 20 and the options would have been worth very little.

If you are having troubles getting your company to agree to a sabbatical, it is worth exploring your options under the Family and Medical Leave Act Most of us by the time we are in our 40s have a parent or in-law who's health is declining. While it might be of questionable ethics I see no reason you can spend a few looking after mom or dad or your mother-in-land and the spend 2+ months on a vacation decompressing.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FMLA requires real Drs. and real sick people. If it applies, it's your legal right. Good luck if you don't meet the criteria.

Megacorp used to allow them, good luck today.

Talk to management, whats the worst they can say.

MRG
Old 08-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes, I did in my former occupation. I needed to do so, I was burned out and it helped me to finish the last 10 years of my incredibly stressful career. My wife and I have always lived frugally, minimal debt, low cost of living area, earn two, save/invest one, type of life style. Financially this was no problem, as I worked a 2nd job for a year before the sabbatical.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

As a side note, I don't know if this is always true, but in my case, I would keep my health/dental/vision protection during a sabbatical (pre-paying corresponding fees, my part, not the employer's part). So it wouldn't hurt to take a sabbatical for 3 or 6 months, come back for a couple of weeks, resign and early retire... With the backup option of actually resuming work if a) turns out you have a change of mind b) circumstances change (personal stuff, stock market crash, whatever).

And yes, I am planning to do something like that...
Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Probably best for me to forget the sabbatical, just keep working a bit longer, continue with our 75% savings rate. Then, when the time is right, my sabbatical will be a permanent one.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I took a 12 month sabbatical (paid benefit for 7 years) at my last major long term work position.

It was a good time but sadly being away from the company that long really alienated me from my peers. I came back to a new place and then began my slow and long descent into not wanting to deal with it anymore.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

A sabbatical sounds really nice. I wish I could just take 3 months off. I'm getting pretty tired. I've only got 12 months until my ER eligibility date, though, so I guess I'll keep putting one foot in front of the other. I don't think my company offers sabbaticals anyhow. I've never seen someone take one.