Join Early Retirement Today

Haven't been on this site for awhile. Why?
Old 04-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Haven't been on this site for awhile. Why?

I've been busy that's why. All those years I had to take a vacation when the company would tell me I could. Now I can't schedule all the things I want to do and time is speeding up.

Spending a month in San Diego watching the kid play college baseball and in btw games fishing, kayaking and enjoying SD. Next Kid's college graduation then 3 weeks in Europe.

ER forum enhanced and augmented my education.
Thank you contributors

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 05:24 AM   #2

Welcome back, World Traveler!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad you are doing what retirement is all about!!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good for you, WorldTraveler! Feel free to share some of your adventures with us when you eek out some spare time.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Traveler View Post
Now I can't schedule all the things I want to do and time is speeding up.
No doubt. I have discovered in retirement that there are a LOT of things to do and not nearly enough time to do it. I would like to tell all the naysayers that told me, "YOU'LL BE BORED!!!" that they were flat wrong, but I don't have the time to do so!
Old 04-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been traveling a lot since becoming FIRE too, just got back from a SAN Diego/Los Angeles/Las Vegas trip 2 weeks ago and we leave for Hawaii next week, last year went to Asia 2 times
Old 04-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
No doubt. I have discovered in retirement that there are a LOT of things to do and not nearly enough time to do it. I would like to tell all the naysayers that told me, "YOU'LL BE BORED!!!" that they were flat wrong, but I don't have the time to do so!

+1
It's amazing how many people suggested I'd be bored when we ER'd. Whether we're traveling or just staying home with each other, DH & I love having the freedom to do what we want to do every day. Haven't even scratched the surface of our list of projects and potential interests to explore. It's also great to have time to exercise every day and focus on health and fitness.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
+1
It's amazing how many people suggested I'd be bored when we ER'd..

This must be from people in the workforce with no retirement in sight
Old 04-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #9

Yes having time to travel is great. WE have a week trip in both June and Aug planned as well as traveling in our RV the entire month of July. We could never do that when working.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #10

Welcome back! I'm also adding travel plans as I go- just got back from Costa Rica and Panama, Iceland in August, India and Nepal in March and, if the finances work out, Scotland next summer. I already put a deposit down with UnCruise, the line I took on my last trip, for an upcoming cruise- probably the Baja Peninsula and the Sea of Cortez in 2019.

Have you ever visited the site of the Travelers' century Club, which you can join only if you've visited 100 countries? They're a little loose with their definitions- they count Alaska and Hawaii separately from the continental US because of their distance from the Lower 48, England, Scotland and Wales are 3 separate countries, etc. I'm at 33.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Welcome back! I'm also adding travel plans as I go- just got back from Costa Rica and Panama, Iceland in August, India and Nepal in March and, if the finances work out, Scotland next summer. I already put a deposit down with UnCruise, the line I took on my last trip, for an upcoming cruise- probably the Baja Peninsula and the Sea of Cortez in 2019.
Now you only have to decide on Whale Sharks or Grey Whales, we did Whale Sharks in Nov 2015, and were not disappointed.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Now you only have to decide on Whale Sharks or Grey Whales, we did Whale Sharks in Nov 2015, and were not disappointed.
Some passengers on the cruise said the time of year when the baby grey whales are born is the best- that would be January, so that's most likely. Don't need to decide yet!
Old 04-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Have you ever visited the site of the Travelers' century Club, which you can join only if you've visited 100 countries? They're a little loose with their definitions- they count Alaska and Hawaii separately from the continental US because of their distance from the Lower 48, England, Scotland and Wales are 3 separate countries, etc. I'm at 33.

Well I never counted them up until now. 50 to date and will add six more this summer.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Well I never counted them up until now. 50 to date and will add six more this summer.
Wow- I'm not sure if I'll ever hit 50 but I'll have a lot of fun trying! Always torn between revisiting places I loved (I'm spreading a few of DH's ashes there) and seeing new ones. If I do the Baja/Sea of Cortez cruise it will be my first trip to Mexico despite being fairly close (San Diego) a few times.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #15

By the TravBuddy map I have about 73 right now, (more I guess, if I can split the UK into England/N. Ireland/Wales/Scotland, separate Hawaii from the U.S., and whatever others might apply).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
This must be from people in the workforce with no retirement in sight

Believe it or not, most of the people who said that to me are very wealthy and only continue to work because they have limited identity outside of work and/or passionately love what they do. YMMV but I'm glad I have a lot of other interests, and a great social circle that wasn't connected to my job. Made the ER goal really motivating for me.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Wow- I'm not sure if I'll ever hit 50 but I'll have a lot of fun trying! Always torn between revisiting places I loved (I'm spreading a few of DH's ashes there) and seeing new ones. If I do the Baja/Sea of Cortez cruise it will be my first trip to Mexico despite being fairly close (San Diego) a few times.

It's not the number of countries but the enjoyable or altruistic experiences. A lot of the countries I've been to were work/military related and I have no intention of ever going back, Saudi Arabia and Somalia come to mind.

I did go on a boat with my buddy and his dad on the Sea of Cortez and had a blast. Sounds like you will too.

Big reason for ER was to pick where we want to go, when and how long.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #18

Quote:
I have no intention of ever going back, Saudi Arabia
Dec 28, 1988, we took off from Riyadh for the last time.....I leaned over my wife, looked out the window, and remarked that "The place can sink into the sea now, as far as I'm concerned".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote