Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Took a family trip to see the parents and extended family for Easter, and on the way DW and I decided to just go ahead and do our Costa Rica adventure now instead of waiting. We were going to wait until we sold the house and DW was going to go back to work, but we have decided that if we don't go ahead and do it now we may never have the chance. The boys are 9 and 11 now and the school there will accomadate them at this age, and at their age we figure they won't lose too much ground in school compared to if we do it when they are older.

If the house sells during the year or so we are gone that's great. If not we will just keep paying for it and just live in it until it sells when we come back. We had a trip planned for the month of June anyway, so now we can focus on getting everything ready for a longer term move.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How exciting for you. The next few months are going to pass in a whirlwind as you make your preparations. From what I have seen of families who have made similar commitments you will likely all grow closer together as a family unit and make memories that will be making you smile in 40 years time.

So I take it you intend to leave everything in your house and have it on the market? I am sure someone has some experience of doing this and will be along with some candid advice.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Took a family trip to see the parents and extended family for Easter, and on the way DW and I decided to just go ahead and do our Costa Rica adventure now instead of waiting.
CarDude,
You know you have to keep all of us updated as you live in Costa Rica. Many of us dream of living in another Country but will never actually do it. The fact that you have a friend there makes a huge difference. I personally would be very fearful of doing something like this but if I had a good friend to help me get started I'm sure that would be a plus. Anyway, please stay in contact with the forum/group if possible and let us know how things go.
Steve
Old 04-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #44

What an exciting adventure you have in store. Please do keep us updated. I went on a cruise to Costa Rica last year and it was beautiful!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #45

Quote:
How exciting for you. The next few months are going to pass in a whirlwind as you make your preparations. From what I have seen of families who have made similar commitments you will likely all grow closer together as a family unit and make memories that will be making you smile in 40 years time.

So I take it you intend to leave everything in your house and have it on the market? I am sure someone has some experience of doing this and will be along with some candid advice.
I think you are right about growing closer as a family-- at least that's my goal. There is really not that much to do down there like we are used to doing here so we will be forced (lol) into more family-related things like surf, play on the beach, watch the sunsets, learn the culture, fish, eat healthy food, make new friends, go to new schools, learn the language (me and kids-- DW is semi-fluent), explore, watch sea turtles, whale watching, more surf, buy a car, open a fish taco stand or sell some real estate for pocket money, etc. It will definitely be an adjustment since there is no good TV, no shopping centers, no 711's and long bank (and all other social service) lines. In the US and other "advanced" countries people have to be efficient, but in CR it's all about the PROCESS so I'm trying to prepare for that.

This site explains it well:
The Real Costa Rica. Everything you want or need to know about Costa Rica

We have been to see our friends in CR for the past 3 summers, but only for a couple of weeks at a time so it will be a big adjustment for us living there full time. We will prepare for it so hopefully it will not drive us crazy and back to the states like it does most people who try to do it.

Yes, we are leaving the house furnished since we can't take much with us down there. Maybe we can sell it furnished so I won't have to move all the stuff to storage! To be totally frugal and logical we really should wait until the house sells, but we are just "going for it" for once in our lives and doing something we really want to do instead of what we are "supposed" to do.

Everyone thinks we are crazy, so it might just be a good idea.......
Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #46

I don't think you are crazy at all. Sometimes life is about taking a bit of a risk. If I recall you are financially ok if the house sells so it's not that much of a risk. The truth is you are going to be going out of most people's comfort zone which is why they think it is so risky.

A couple of things you might want to think about, based on our moves. Have you a family member who you could appoint as your power of attorney to act on your behalf in the event your house does sell? It would help facilitate the selling process if paperwork is not having to go back and forth between Costa Rica and the US. The second thing I would do is think about your personal possessions, what do you really want to retain. I say this from experience as we have had personal effects in storage for 14 years because we left in such a hurry and since then we have never had the opportunity to go thru them. It has cost us an absolute fortune to keep them in storage and half of it just needs to be thrown out. I would keep your most treasured possessions and move them to the smallest possible storage area or if you are lucky enough to have a family member who has area put them there. Think about what you will do with the furniture if it does not sell with the house. For us, last time we were in this position we put the stuff to auction. Of course we did not make anywhere near what it was worth, but the main thing is it was dealt with.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Do It Now
Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Do It Now

I guess I look at this time of retirement as the chance to do what I always wanted to do when I was in my twenties. A lot of us Babyboomers had paths we wanted to follow but for one reason or another could not.

I was lucky to work in the field I wanted, and to some extent it was never like work for me. because it was what I wanted to do anyway.

The difference now is that I can devote my time to my projects and not someone else' s. So I'm having a ball.

There must be something that you wanted to do that was too impractical or too expensive or just too damn crazy to get away with. Well, now is the time to do it.

boont
Old 04-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best of luck....sounds like "cardude's excellent adventure".......

Everyone I know who visits Costa Rica raves about it.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
I guess I look at this time of retirement as the chance to do what I always wanted to do when I was in my twenties.
I'm about 53 days away from ER. Thought exact thing while getting ready to trudge to work. In less than 2 months, I finally will get to "live life" - always putting off life for education, career, savings, retirement.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:54 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Cardude, in many ways our circumstances are similar, and as such, this thread has helped me. You and I are near the same age, kids of similar ages, wife with PT gig, and I own a good business and the building/land that it's on. I've been approached by people wanting to purchase previously, but have never quite had the right deal.

Well, here we go again. A couple of weeks ago another person contacted me. We've had preliminary meetings, and I guess we'll see where it goes. The world is full of tire kickers, so I don't get too wound up but eventually someone will come up with the right deal.

If I sell, I'm not so much scared of being in any kind of trouble financially if it goes ahead (thanks Firecalc), rather my biggest fear is a mirror image of what you've described. Moving from being the "pivot man" in the organization to "stay at home and clean the place guy" would be really weird. I'm not sure how I'd handle it or what I'd do to keep occupied. I know that my first instinct would be to start another business, and that probably wouldn't be the best idea. Like Nords said, sort of a hollow victory even if it turns out to be a winner.

I'd appreciate if you'd keep us updated on your adventure in CR and especially on your progress in adapting to ER.

BTW, my family and I went on a cruise this past winter that stopped in CR. Easily the most beautiful stop. I still want to one day go see the Arenal area. Best wishes.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 AM   #51

trouble getting adjusted

I didn't have time to read all the posts this morning, but did anyone mention taking a Spanish class in preparation for the move to Costa Rica?