Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I had to clear out an estate complete with furnishings, etc. I hauled everything out to the driveway, lawn and garage. I sold everything that I could using signs directing buyers in from major nearby roads. (Today I'd use Craigslist, too). After the sale, I had the Salvation Army pick up everything left. There were a few things that they would not take, these went to the curb and evaporated before the trash guys got there.

They do Thurs, Fri and Sat estate sales here. The "pro" I spoke to said that she has 6 people there the first day and then cuts it down to 3 the next 2 days. Must be alot less crowd on Fri and Sat I guess.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Transitioning out of the rat race
Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Transitioning out of the rat race

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
We did the equivalent of an estate sale entirely on Craig's List. It worked great. Folks would start cruising the ads right after they got to work (I could tell because the email enquiries I got were almost all from business addresses.), and arrange to come by after work to pick stuff up. You just have to be willing to take photos of the stuff.

We ended up meeting a lot of nice folks, and had zero trouble with payments.

In a largish city, if you don't get responses the first day your price is too high.
DIDO your comments. I am selling things via craigs list, clearing the house out slowly. When we want to move we will rent a 2 bedroom and put the few items that we really want in it. Everything else the kids have first right of refusal for 30 days. During this time we intend to put the house on the market. What is left over goes to a pro's for an estate sale. What is left over from that goes charity and then the house is sold. If a few people steel items it won't bother me because nobody really wants it anyway and the expensive items will be gone.

I have learned that you can ask a price for an item on craigs, or any advertisement, list but people want a deal. I just sold and item that I started with $300 asking price. No bites, I lowered it to $200 and had some nibbles. I finally sold it @ $125. I deal only in cash and like the fact the process is clean and final.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If the primary purpose is to get rid of your stuff, why not call one of your local charities and make a donation?
That's what we did with most of our stuff.

We identified several valuable things easy to sell and ship and sold them on eBay.

Identified a few more things not easy to ship and sold via Craig's List.

We contacted a few local charities and local hobby clubs and had them come to our place to get a bunch of stuff for free. And carted off remaining non-specialized items to charity shops.

That pretty much took care of it.

I really, really did not want to mess with a garage sale - so much work for nickels and dimes and we really didn't have the time to mess with it.

Audrey
Old 05-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #24

Over the course of my life I have done many many garage sales. Enough to last a lifetime! For my recent move, I donated everything to the Hospice thrift store and to the Emergency Family housing organization in town.

The hassle of garage sales is magnified by the scammers and shop lifters who are rampant these days. It isn't like the old days when students and families on a budget came shopping. Now the shoppers are looking to get a deal at your expense. I'm sorry to be such a cynic! I guess that's a result of where I live. Illegals and homeless bums abound!

If you do have a sale, be sure to rope in some friends to watch over and help you with transactions. And never let buyers come early!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
I am trying to figure how to ship china, glass and teacups without getting them broken. So far I have just shipped old car parts cameras and coins.
Many years ago I brought my collection of Waterford glass and china across the Atlantic. I had it packed and shipped by a professional moving company. It arrived in perfect condition (though I broke a claret glass at my first fancy schmancy dinner party)

Here's how they did it. First, newsprint. Lots, and lots, of newsprint. Every single item was wrapped snugly in six sheets of newsprint (no print, no ink). Then they were placed in strong cardboard boxes lined with (you guessed it) six layers of newsprint. The key was to pack the entire box tigthly, leaving no spaces, so it became a solid mass.

There were two boxes. At the warehouse they were loaded side by side on a wooden pallet and iron binding "tape" was wrapped around, just as you would put ribbon on a boxed gift. And then they were loaded on a series of planes. When I picked them up at Airport customs, I had to ask them to cut the iron tapes.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how to transport fragile objects around the world.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #26

Very helpful, Meadbh, thanks!

By the way, did I mention somewhere that a friend of mine sent a vintage set of his now deceased wife's good set of dishware all the way from Illinois to Texas by UPS. They packed it and shipped it for a total of $150. Not one thing broke. All were impressed. Who would have thought of using UPS for that, but he did and was happy needless to say with their service.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the shipping suggestions. I can get the crosscut shredded paper at my former workplace for filling in the small nooks and crannies between items wrapped in newsprint. I have shipped cameras wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap but was not sure about china and glass.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have liquidated 2 estates. Used a contents/garage sale in the local papers and it ran Saturday and Sunday. Selectively sold several items via Craigslist and Kijiji. Used a service to take things to charity and another to take things to the dump.

A couple of suggestions:
1. If selling jewelry or electonics through the internet, meet potential buyers in a shopping plaza rather than in the home. This discourages thieves.
2. Have a free table out front to generate interest from passerbys. Keep it stocked.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
1. If selling jewelry or electonics through the internet, meet potential buyers in a shopping plaza rather than in the home. This discourages thieves.
We sold all electronics and jewelry through eBay and shipped it to the customer. No worry about meeting anyone face-to-face.

And eBay is a much larger customer base, so you are much more likely to get a reasonable price for main brand electronics and jewelry.

Audrey
Old 05-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
They do Thurs, Fri and Sat estate sales here. The "pro" I spoke to said that she has 6 people there the first day and then cuts it down to 3 the next 2 days. Must be alot less crowd on Fri and Sat I guess.
How hard do you want to work? Will the "25% savings" be worth the time, or will you be spending hours to "save" at a rate of less than minimum wage? How much security hassle do you want?

When my mother died, my father decided to move out of a 3000 sq ft home to a one-bedroom apartment. He hired a pro for the estate sale.

Before he spoke to the estate-sale companies he made sure that he'd gone through anything my mother could have stashed anything in. No problems there. Then he began to pack his stuff out while he was arranging the estate sale. By the time the sale was held, the only things inside the house were the things for sale. Everything was outta there in a couple days and he didn't have to sit around watching memories get pushed in his face.

He said it was well worth the commission.

Otherwise you end up doing a lot of Craigslist, one or two garage sales, and a huge 1-800-GOT-JUNK run. The savings for that extra effort may not pay for the hassle.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #31

I think if you have anything valuable, I would get someone who is an expert in the field to come thru first and sell via them if possible. I am talking if you have antique furniture or expensive jewellery.

Personally if it was me I would list all the big stuff $ wise on Craigslist, what ws unsold after a week I would leave along with everything else and get a charitable organisation to come and box up and take away.

Estate sale sounds too hard for me.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you mean that it discourages them from casing your house for a later return, or discourages them from robbing you because there are other people around?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I guess we didn't worry about this too much as we sold quite a bit via Craig's list and folks had to come by to get stuff. OF course that was before vetting them through email or phone. It's kind of tough to manage getting rid of stuff without strangers coming by.

Anything really valuable was sold via eBay where we could expect to get best $$ for it, and those items shipped to customer.

Audrey
Old 05-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I think if you have anything valuable, I would get someone who is an expert in the field to come thru first and sell via them if possible. I am talking if you have antique furniture or expensive jewellery.
eBay is pretty good for jewelry. You can find similar items and see what they are going for. We sold a Rolex bought in the 70s and got really good money for it.

Audrey
Old 05-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #35

I think one of the most difficult thing with letting these things go is the realisation how little a lot of it is worth. By letting pros handle your sale you are removing yourself from the situation. As someone else said, just because you paid $500 and it is in mint condition don't expect to get anywhere near the value.

The things we have been selling on Craigslist, they have been bargains for the buyers. We sold a camera bag for $50, flat screen computer monitor $50, washer and dryer $350. All these things were bargains however keeping them in our house hoping to make more gave us $0.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Do you mean that it discourages them from casing your house for a later return, or discourages them from robbing you because there are other people around?
It virtually eliminates the former, and it limits the latter to the goods being sold, and possibly discourages thieves because of other people as witnesses. In our case, all such transactions have been uneventful.