Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
When ESPN starts an app that will be the end of cable.

ERTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Both companies could be equally dragging their feet. You never know.
True. This is something we'll never know.

I was on Amazon looking at the FireStick and noticed that there's a promotion with SlingTV. If you prepay for 3 months of SlingTV ($60), then you get a free FireStick, effectively buying 3 months for $20. Not a bad deal, especially if you want to try out SlingTV.

The Roku Stick could also be an interesting alternative. It's great to have choices.

tulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
I'd drop DirecTV but need NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, ESPN, & Fox Sports.

If & When I can get those streamed directly via PS3/4, Apple TV, etc... I will drop it
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
The Long, Slow Death of Cable Just Reached a Tipping Point

Make no mistake, the scales have tipped. Even old school media heads have ceded that streaming is the future of video. “Clearly the bundle is changing. The days of the 500-channel universe are over,” CBS chief Les Moonves said Wednesday at an investor conference. “The days of the 150-channel universe in the home are not necessarily over but they’re changing rapidly. People are slicing it and dicing it in different ways.” - See more at: The Long, Slow Death of Cable Just Reached a Tipping Point | The Fiscal Times
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
HBO now available without Cable TV!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
HBO now available without Cable TV!

I have one more year of my Direct TV contract. My 1year credits just expired so that made my monthly rate increase about $30 a month. Just read that the FCC is investigating Direct TV's advertising practices, so hopefully I'll get some credits at some point.

I kept my original invoice that listed the length of each credit, so I was aware those discounts would end, however, it was very confusing when I signed up in figuring out the cost before I received that first invoice.

After that I may drop "cable" too.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #26
I just received a notification from the Apple app store that HBO Now is available to download, the email says it has a 30 day free trial.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
That's right. Coincides with the start of the new Game Of Thrones season.

Binge watcher alert - you could go watch the prior seasons during the 30 day free trial.

Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote