Join Early Retirement Today

health after retirement
Old 09-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
health after retirement

Has your health improved since retiring?

personally:

lost 40 pounds
blood pressure is down
headaches tapered off to none for last several months
no more tooth grinding in sleep (once cracked a filling)
almost no back or knee pain

I think my hair has ceased turning gray
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: health after retirement
Old 09-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

My blood pressure is down, my weight is down, and my over all health seems to have improved greatly since the days when I set the alarm for 4AM and scrambled to get to work on time.....Life for me has improved 10 fold. Wish I had listened to others and had done it sooner....
LakeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired only 4.5 months so far. *But can say I have made progress on:
- virtually ceased having to take Alka Seltzer for heartburn et al
- no headaches as a result of sleeping in to 8am
- less teeth grinding as well during my sleep
- more easy going and less irritable - as indicated by family members

But alas, no measurable weight taken off yet, though I have started a stronger exercise program.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:50 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been retired six years, I lost 20 pounds the first year of retirement and I have managed to keep it off.

I am able to excercise every day (walking) and sleep until I want to get up in the morning.
burch64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My blood pressure is down from a typical 140's over 90's to 120's over 70's.* As I was "tapering" at work for the last year, my workouts became and remained regular.* Now, I am motivated by the availability of a 32 million dollar rec center on the campus of the university where I am pursuing my MFA.* The problem has become keeping my weight workouts from being too frequent!* Of course, there are some very fit kids who toss around mega weights but I am still one of the few who uses 50 lb or more dumbbells for my curl sets.* Also, I sometimes load the leg press sled up toward 850 lbs for my final reps.* I don't do squats out of concern of too much spine compression.* Mentally, I actually did better on the gre last year than I had as a 22 year old. It's fun to do this anonymous bragging!* 58 years old.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:42 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So far, so good for me as well. Blood pressure down from 135/75 to 118/70. Constant depression moderated to the occasional blue day. Exercising lots more, hiking mostly.*Since I moved from the midwest, I now get to enjoy the beautiful outdoors. Almost every day I wake up with a smile and hug my dog, happy to be me at this time of my life!*
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Windsurf,
...You have plenty to brag about. Sounds like you have an ideal situation there and are using it to good advantage. Good on you.
jc
Old 09-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes - it's way better. I have lots of time to exercise, not to mention much less stress in my life.

Audrey
Old 09-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I just took a one month trial membership at a gym. As I am not working much, I can go during the off hours and not be part of the big after work and before work rush.

Winter is on its way. We just got home from a trip and it is 42 degrees. I really have a hard time exercising in the winter. Especially when I used to go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed

- no headaches as a result of sleeping in to 8am
After I went from working too much to a part time schedule, my frequent migraines disappeared to nearly none. I told my doctor and she said it could be less stress but more likely it was menopause--less hormones. That probably isn't the case with you tho Alta.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Has your health improved since retiring?
"I'm in the best shape of my life!"

Nearly two years later, I still am...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
"I'm in the best shape of my life!"

Nearly two years later, I still am...
I'm not in the 'best shape of my life', but am of the last 10 years.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #13

Since I retired I've lost weight, excercise daily, feel better, sleep better, have better luck, and beautiful women won't leave me alone. Well . . . I did lose weight and feel better.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:00 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I finally got to a frame of mind where I could take time out to excersize and try to lose weight. While I was working fulltime, I had to be either at work, at my kids' school, taking the kids to appointments, grocery shopping or cleaning house. Period. 5 hours a night for sleep, the rest of it was earmarked for chores.

Now I work half time, I get a full night's sleep, I have lost 25 lbs (although I have 25 to go). I think the worst thing about working full time was not getting enough sleep--I slept about 5 hours a night for 5 years (and I gained 40 pounds during those years).

So yes, my mental and physical health are much better now.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Siince retiring just over a year ago I definitely feel better.

Like many of the other posters, I get a lot more exercise. In my case it's taking my dog for a hike for an hour or so each day. Before I wouldn't get out nearly as much.

One thing that was strange was that my hip used to bother me when I went on long walks. It kept up for the first 6 mos. or so after I retired, then went away completely.

Oh, the healing powers of the slacker lifestyle...

Jim
magellan_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #16

Quote:
One thing that was strange was that my hip used to bother me when I went on long walks. It kept up for the first 6 mos. or so after I retired, then went away completely.
So how are you getting along with only one hip?

Quote:
We just got home from a trip and it is 42 degrees.
It was 84 here in sunny northern California today (but El Nino will slam us with another wet winter, I bet.)
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've been RE for 11 weeks and so far it hasn't been all that good for my health, or at least my conditioning.* I love to prepare big meals on the Weber and wash them down with lotsa wine and now I have plenty of time for that.* We've had everyone we ever knew over for cocktails on the patio.* We went on two vacations where fabulous meals were part of the package.* I have yet to join a local health club to replace the one I used daily at work.* So, gotta let up on the fun hog stuff as the initial three months of RE celebration comes to a halt!* No serious damage done yet, but there's no doubt that this can't keep up indefinitely!* It's just been so damn much fun!*

Oh, it's not all bad.* Despite a reduction in exercise, excessive alcohol consumption, meals that take 15# of charcoal to cook and all that, my BP is down and DW reports my "attitude on life" is much improved.* Just call me "Mr. Mellow."

I'm doing a three day paddle in northern Wisconsin in early October that I need to tone up a little for.* Looks like I better use that as the stake in the ground to get this turned around.............

Old 09-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, youbet, you gotta pace that high living!!!

[And you're right - you gotta get that exercise going to counteract all the indulging you now have time for. The good news is that you now have time to do BOTH]

Audrey
Old 09-20-2006, 08:13 AM   #19

I can't say that my health has improved since retiring. It was not that great before and is gradually getting worse. I had major back surgery at age 18 and now have arthritis, bone spurs, deteriorating discs, etc., etc. I was on various anti-inflamatory meds for years until my digestive system rebelled. Now I take prescription narcotics. I live with a constant level of pain and significant limitations on physical activity. I had testicular cancer 23 years ago and I never fully bounced back in terms of stamina from the heavy radiation treatements. Although I keep my weight reasonable with lap swimming and walking, my BP got high enough this year that the doctor put me on medication for it. I also am on Zocor for high cholesterol. My medicine cabinet looks like a pill factory! I will turn 60 on my next birthday. At the rate my health is deteriorating, I am trying to enjoy life as much as possible now. We leave for a three week Mediterranean cruise in a month. I have started going back to the acupuncturist I used when we lived in Maryland before FIRE. Its a 120 mile round trip drive but it is worth it. I tried a local acupuncturist but her treatments just didn't give me the pain relief.

Of course, all of these conditions would probably be much worse if I was still working. That was one of the primary reasons I retired when I did.

Grumpy
Old 09-20-2006, 08:29 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

I'm doing a three day paddle in northern Wisconsin in early October that I need to tone up a little for.*

What are you paddling? The Brule? Be forwarned, the water is low.