Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Health and ER?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:47 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

TH,
You make a good point....even though you ER...doesn't mean that your life will be stress free. But it's up to you on how you want to handle that stress. I think we need certain level of stress in to order produce, and just because one ER's there will still be some.

Example: I just returned from six months in Asia. My flight from Bangkok landed a little late in Los Angeles, and I had less than one hour to clear immigration, collect baggage, clear customs, and RUN five terminals, stand in line at the Southwest checkin counter, go through security, check in at the gate...well...you get the picture....I made the flight, the last one on,... but I think it took some days off of me....ha, ha. STRESSFUL!? You bet....

Billy
Web-site http://www.geocities.com/ba264

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2004, 04:26 AM   #22

Hi Billy! Just one more reason that I no longer fly.

John Galt
Old 05-16-2004, 04:34 AM   #23

This is for Anne. Being a type A personality can not be escaped. It's genetic. In ER, you need to channel that
aggressive restless "push" in other directions.
I have learned that being this way (while very
successful in business) is not so helpful in marriage
and similar relationships. See, I love being the
person I am, which can't be bad thing in my view.
Many others find me a bit much. The advantage is that
I don't care! Thus, even type A egomaniacal
behavior can preserve your mental health, although
it might not help those having to deal with you

John Galt
Old 05-16-2004, 10:32 AM   #24

I expect your wife appreciated the fact you made an effort on her behalf. That counts for a lot.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #25

John,
It's not the flying that bothers me...it's the airports.

But what can I do if I want to travel outside this continent? I suppose I could sail to Asia, but the costs would be out of line for me...but I should look into that. hummmmmm?

Did I mention the 30 hours of travel from BKK? Door to door....Sometimes I think it would be easier to just stay...

Billy
Old 05-16-2004, 11:10 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to fly 4-5 round trips a week, fortunately most of them on the company jet. Havent been on an airplane since June of 2001. After logging about a bazillion miles, I dont miss it a bit. I definitely cant imagine the hassle of adding the security overhead thats going on right now, particularly considering the huge gaping holes that leave flying anything but "secure".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:53 AM   #27

TH,
The "security" thing is a bit of a myth...I have done a lot of traveling since 9-11, both in the US and out. So far, the ONLY place where I need to produce my notebook is in the US..other places I simply place my carryon on the belt, it gets scanned and that's that. In the US they like to swab it, and do I don't know what else. Also, the US is the only place I have to have my bags unlocked. This does bother me, as I am more concerned about what some one would place in my bag then what is inside. Can you imagine traveling in a foreign country, with open baggage? No sense picking it up..there would be nothing left! But hey, if this prevents another 9-11, I am all for it. That said, the inconsistencies between the US airports is alarming, though getting better.

Billy
Old 05-16-2004, 12:02 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Until they start xraying or examining checked baggage, I stop seeing articles about people smuggling knives, guns and fake play-doh bombs on planes, and we stop beaming with pride over pulling out senators and grandmas in wheelchairs for special scrutiny, I'll take the security seriously.

Too much of it is knee-jerk reactions to whats already been done.

I still get a kick out of the guy who said he has the perfect way to smuggle people or weapons into the US...seal them up inside a bale of pot or a big bag of coke and proceed as usual
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:39 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

At 68 I feel that I'm just now coming into middle age -- more sense, but still enjoy skipping and sports cars. I non-ERed at 56, but was FI years earlier. I'm rarely ill, I suppose because my exposure is greatly reduced, and my relationship with my wife has certainly improved as we enjoy doing many things together throughout the day. With a mother 91, whose siblings are 97, 98, and 102, I look forward to 40 more years of retirement.

Owning your own time is one of the great luxuries worth aspiration.

db

Old 05-16-2004, 01:55 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At 68 I feel that I'm just now coming into middle age -- more sense, but still enjoy skipping and sports cars.
What is skipping? Do you mean going down the sidewalk skipping like 8 year olds used to but no longer do? Or is this some adult hobby that I don't know about?

Mikey
Old 05-16-2004, 02:18 PM   #31

TH,
I refuse to give into the terroists, and change my lifestyle. I have been through SARS, bird flu, bombings in France, and southern Thailand. I am not bragging, and do take precautions, but will not let them stop me from traveling.

Billy
web-site http://www.geocities.com/ba264
Old 05-16-2004, 04:57 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I hear ya. If it was important to me, I wouldnt stop travelling on their account.

As it is, the odds of successfully pulling off 9/11 were very low and the amount of damage far higher than it should have been. Considering that passengers wont allow that to happen the next time, the odds are even lower.

I can state with some certainty that if i'm sitting in first class and some terrorist interrupts the cocktail flow, they're in for some serious trouble.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:23 PM   #33

TH,
LOL...exactly...plus, it's probably statistically more dangerous to go to your doctor.

Speaking of doctors...or health care, like I said I was in Bangkok..where the world famous Bumrungrad Hospital is located..unbelievable. The service and quality of care is 5 star. And.....in the waiting rooms, they have sweet young georgous Thai girls serving drinks!

That's was all I needed to know that I was in the right place.

Billy
Old 05-16-2004, 09:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the doctor. Of course, I only go if I lop something off and it doesnt look like I'll be able to reattach it with duct tape or a staple gun.

I wish BC/BS had a special "duct tape/staple gun" deductible plan.