Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: For Folks not on Medicare, how much of a burden is health insurance
Easy to get and covers my nest egg 16 35.56%
Really hard to get and wished I was still working 1 2.22%
If I get sick, I will just die 4 8.89%
Not hard to get, but expensive and doesnt cover pre-existing conditions 24 53.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Health Insurance in FIRE
Old 08-03-2005, 06:35 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
If you are a (mild form of) cancer survivor with a 5+ year clean bill of health does that usually count as serious?
Probably so, but each insurer does their own review of individual situations. FYI, in our case (TX) you have to have evidence of rejection of coverage or exclusion of a specific condition by an insurer to qualify for the state pool.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2005, 07:43 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayfield40
A But really! Do you have to run out of cobra coverage before they will pick you up for individual coverage?
Be sure to work on getting your individual coverage before running out of COBRA. Being on a group plan and then COBRA gets you a number of rights under HIPAA, including the right to force the sale to you of an individual policy. Unfortunately, HIPAA doesn't limit the cost. For the skinny on your HIPAA rights go to http://www.cms.hhs.gov/hipaa/hipaa1/content/cons.asp

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle

Curious, you are in california, how long can you go and pay for the insruance then?
Once I convert to the "retiree" group health plan, I'm good to go indefinitely, the only catch is I don't have a lot of choices. I'm currently insured by Kasier, that works well where I live, might change plans if we move to the Pacific Northwest someday.

The answer would be forever. I expect that the cost will increase over time, but hopefully, they will increase the stipend as well, if not I'll grudgeingly make up the difference.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am going through this right now. Trying to find reasonably priced health care in North East Florida. I am starting to look around. Blue Cross is my first stop. I am trying to undestand all the ins and outs, Copays and Percentages. It all gets so complicated and convoluted. Anyone would think it was run by the government.

Currently I am covered by the Canadian system, but that changes when we spend more than 6 months away.

Anyone have a good source of healthcare in Florida I can look into?

SWR
Old 08-05-2005, 08:06 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via AIM to Bayfield40

Good luck! As you can see in my previous post, it took a number of months for a decision and I couldn't technically apply until I was "eligible" (ie unemployed and a florida "resident"). Just make sure you have interim coverage and don't be surprised with the results... I went back to work temporarily just for the benefits not horrible, but not what I had in mind initially. I guess it could be worse if we were in ill health and really needed treatment. Sure makes me wonder if it's worth it at this point. Our existing cobra is 520.28 per month, sure would rather have the cash... We may rethink this before too long.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Bayfield, did you look at the Georgetown University guide for your state so you know your rights inside out? See www.healthinsuranceinfo.net. This will help you when you work with insurance companies to know what they can and can't do.

Also, try www.ehealthinsurance.com for help in finding a plan.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

This was a big wad to swallow;* I spent most of my "good years" defending docs sued for malpractice and often won.* I am very type A and have a hard time sitting in a crowded waititng room;* I am cynical about the approach of corporate med;* I resent the poorly paid passive aggressive help populating the desk with rude behavior; I have heard some of the best docs I know say that we need socialized medicine to protect them and us.* All I know is that this is the highest premium I am paying on any product I am buying save connectivity which should be as free as the air we breathe.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:10 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windsurf,

I too spent years in the medical field. Its an ugly place with all too few ocurrances of brilliance and beauty. I too couldn't sit in a waiting room, or stand in line...until ER. Now I bring a book and watch the world go by. Don't think we'll see SocMed anytime soon but then the passive aggressive "Oh thats all I need is you and your rash." types at the desk will flourish. Either way its a mess!

I'm trying to spend more time to be healthy because I have no time to be sick.

Tags
health insurance