Join Early Retirement Today

Re: help me, I think I'm falling...
Old 05-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Funny...just posted on another thread that I recently gave up the dream of a new BMW 3-series. After seeing all the dings in my current car (98 Honda), I just know how much the first ding would p**s me off. So....instead I'll focus on sockin away the $ I would spend on the car and prep for ER in 8/08.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You have a perfectly fine Suburu that will go for another 10 years? I definitely think you should buy the new car and sell me the Suburu, if you live anywhere nearby me! My DD is wanting a car for her high school graduation and yours sounds perfect!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #23

My first car was a Fiero six cylinder. It was fun while it lasted and I'm glad I bought it when I was young. I now have a Honda CRV and love it.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
You have a perfectly fine Suburu that will go for another 10 years? I definitely think you should buy the new car and sell me the Suburu, if you live anywhere nearby me! My DD is wanting a car for her high school graduation and yours sounds perfect!!!
I've been researching the safety angle of the audi vs subaru (as a tool of persuasion with my partner whose attitude toward cars is close to that of most posters on this thread ....the Subaru has neither side curtain airbags nor electronic stability control so not sure if it would be perfect for a teen....on the other hand, driving it feels like driving a tractor, the pick-up is so slow...so there's little temptation to engage in reckless/speedy maneuvers. So maybe it would be a good first teen car.

winnie

Old 05-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie
I've been researching the safety angle of the audi vs subaru
Safety is one thing, but reliability and cost of repairs is another. Audi while very sexy, is not nearly as reliable as the Suburu (or most any other Japanese car). In addition, the cost to repair an Audi is higher than repairing an Asian import.

-- Rita
Former Audi owner -- now back to the Japanese models
Old 05-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #26

Pffft. You have a Subaru?

What else is there in life? To me, only a newer, faster, Subaru. ...which will probably be costlier.

mmmm... Subaru WRX STi.

I appreciate your thoughts about safety though. But, after they make one car virtually idiot-proof (safety-wise) then all that us humans want is a more idiot-proof (safety-wise) vehicle. My point is, just because one car (or 10?), that they tested, slammed into the offset concrete block "really well"... is that the type of accident you plan to get into?

(*mumble mumble* - male hormones/striving for curmudgeon certificate at 29/etc.)

Disclaimer: alcohol consumption involved while authoring this post.

-CC
Old 05-12-2007, 06:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Cars , Rust Buckets!! They sit in the rain and well get wet then they get rusty. No matter how nice it looks and smells they sit out in the rain and rot away!

Ugghh, just shoot me if I ever say something like that. I love my cars, some more than others.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9

Ugghh, just shoot me if I ever say something like that. I love my cars, some more than others.

I always say that statement when that bug gets in my head about another new vehicle these days.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Falling in love with a car is easy, until my wife comes by and says no more old cars.
(but I did spot a rather nice circa 1962 Rambler American the other day)
Old 05-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As soon as I get to be Jay Leno, I'll have a collection of classic automobiles...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie
I've been researching the safety angle of the audi vs subaru (as a tool of persuasion with my partner whose attitude toward cars is close to that of most posters on this thread ....the Subaru has neither side curtain airbags nor electronic stability control so not sure if it would be perfect for a teen....on the other hand, driving it feels like driving a tractor, the pick-up is so slow...so there's little temptation to engage in reckless/speedy maneuvers. So maybe it would be a good first teen car.
Careful, a spouse who buys cars like they buy washing machines (like me: how big a load will it do? Is it reliable? Is it cheap?) will quickly point out that A) even the non-side-airbag and non-stability-control subies have a distinguished safety record and B) a new subie will have all that stuff and cost much less than the audi. Better pick a different tack.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy
2008 S5?

Meh.

But the new R8?

Ah, now we are talkin':

8)

Nice R8. By the way I agree with Rich in T, if you really have your heart set on it then go for it. For many a car is much more than point A to point B, it is the enjoyment inbetween.

One other minor comment. I was always amazed at the $60 to 100+k Porsche turbo, BMW M, and Audi S owners in their 40's-50's who would show up at our local autocross events with their shiny new cars for a week or two only to get spanked by a kid in a $10k 25 year old modified honda civic or a Subie WRX. Heck, they couldn't even figure out the course half the time (bunch of traffic cones spread out over an airport taxi-way and parking lot). It's not always what you have, it's what you can do with it.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
It's not always what you have, it's what you can do with it.
True dat.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:07 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - story is at the 'old Power's Junction' truck stop Swede bought his son Beaver a new Dump truck.

So pretty he never used it - used to wash it out front at the garage next door every weekend.

heh heh heh - or so the story went in east New Orleans. BP has built a new truck stop on 11 right off I-10. :
Old 05-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Careful, a spouse who buys cars like they buy washing machines (like me: how big a load will it do? Is it reliable? Is it cheap?) will quickly point out that A) even the non-side-airbag and non-stability-control subies have a distinguished safety record and B) a new subie will have all that stuff and cost much less than the audi. Better pick a different tack.
I test-drove the new outback on the strength of its safety improvements and it felt, though solid, completely unspectacular (though several steps up in finesse from our older subaru which handles like a tractor). The lack of aggressive marketing from the sales guy was refreshing though...

However, I am happy to say (I think!) that I have been helped by everyone's comments. I have seen the error of my ways, and shall keep my 50k stashed in good old muni bonds
(at least until the 4 year old has graduated high school when, maybe, i'll splurge on a porsche instead).

winnie