help me, I think I'm falling...

Pffft. You have a Subaru?

What else is there in life? To me, only a newer, faster, Subaru. ...which will probably be costlier.

mmmm... Subaru WRX STi.

I appreciate your thoughts about safety though. But, after they make one car virtually idiot-proof (safety-wise) then all that us humans want is a more idiot-proof (safety-wise) vehicle. My point is, just because one car (or 10?), that they tested, slammed into the offset concrete block "really well"... is that the type of accident you plan to get into?

(*mumble mumble* - male hormones/striving for curmudgeon certificate at 29/etc.) :LOL:

Disclaimer: alcohol consumption involved while authoring this post. ;)

-CC

newguy888 said:
Cars , Rust Buckets!! They sit in the rain and well get wet then they get rusty. No matter how nice it looks and smells they sit out in the rain and rot away!

Ugghh, just shoot me if I ever say something like that. I love my cars, some more than others.

saluki9 said:
Ugghh, just shoot me if I ever say something like that. I love my cars, some more than others.

I always say that statement when that bug gets in my head about another new vehicle these days.

Falling in love with a car is easy, until my wife comes by and says no more old cars.
(but I did spot a rather nice circa 1962 Rambler American the other day)

As soon as I get to be Jay Leno, I'll have a collection of classic automobiles...

winnie said:
I've been researching the safety angle of the audi vs subaru (as a tool of persuasion with my partner whose attitude toward cars is close to that of most posters on this thread :)....the Subaru has neither side curtain airbags nor electronic stability control so not sure if it would be perfect for a teen....on the other hand, driving it feels like driving a tractor, the pick-up is so slow...so there's little temptation to engage in reckless/speedy maneuvers. So maybe it would be a good first teen car.

Careful, a spouse who buys cars like they buy washing machines (like me: how big a load will it do? Is it reliable? Is it cheap?) will quickly point out that A) even the non-side-airbag and non-stability-control subies have a distinguished safety record and B) a new subie will have all that stuff and cost much less than the audi. Better pick a different tack.

DRiP Guy said:
2008 S5?

Meh.

But the new R8?

Ah, now we are talkin':

8)

Nice R8. By the way I agree with Rich in T, if you really have your heart set on it then go for it. For many a car is much more than point A to point B, it is the enjoyment inbetween.

One other minor comment. I was always amazed at the $60 to 100+k Porsche turbo, BMW M, and Audi S owners in their 40's-50's who would show up at our local autocross events with their shiny new cars for a week or two only to get spanked by a kid in a $10k 25 year old modified honda civic or a Subie WRX. Heck, they couldn't even figure out the course half the time (bunch of traffic cones spread out over an airport taxi-way and parking lot). It's not always what you have, it's what you can do with it. :D

Hmmm - story is at the 'old Power's Junction' truck stop Swede bought his son Beaver a new Dump truck.

So pretty he never used it - used to wash it out front at the garage next door every weekend.

heh heh heh - or so the story went in east New Orleans. BP has built a new truck stop on 11 right off I-10. ::)

brewer12345 said:
Careful, a spouse who buys cars like they buy washing machines (like me: how big a load will it do? Is it reliable? Is it cheap?) will quickly point out that A) even the non-side-airbag and non-stability-control subies have a distinguished safety record and B) a new subie will have all that stuff and cost much less than the audi. Better pick a different tack.

I test-drove the new outback on the strength of its safety improvements and it felt, though solid, completely unspectacular (though several steps up in finesse from our older subaru which handles like a tractor). The lack of aggressive marketing from the sales guy was refreshing though...

However, I am happy to say (I think!) that I have been helped by everyone's comments. I have seen the error of my ways, ;) and shall keep my 50k stashed in good old muni bonds :(
(at least until the 4 year old has graduated high school when, maybe, i'll splurge on a porsche instead).

winnie

Back
Top Bottom