Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Help!!!! Need info on Mexico
Old 01-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Chile has always fascinated me.. The loooong coastline and the variety of climate. Seems it could offer a lot of natural beauty. Anyone been there?
My wife is chilean.* I went with my wife to Chile for new year's in 2000.* Fireworks over the bay in Valparaiso.* Parts of the country were amazing, parts forgetable.* My favorite part was in southern Chile, we took a plane from Santiago down to Puerto Montt, which is basically the last bastion of civilization before going down towards Antarctica.* Near the volcano Osorno, lots of beautiful small towns in the south.* Also, lots of germans, descendents of ex-nazi's I assume, and some of the mountain villages reminded my wife of her trip to Switzerland after college.

In any case, my ratings would be:
Puerto Mont and southern Chile is a must.
Vina del Mar is a beautiful coastal city and neighboring Valparaiso is just as beautiful, if a bit seedier.
Santiago reminded me of any southern European city surrounded by mountains; think Athens with no access to the sea and without the historical significance but just as polluted and significantly poorer.
We basically covered the central part of Chile so I missed out on some of the spectacular sights both north and south since we had to visit family she hadn't seen in 17 years or so, so when I go back it will be to visit one of those areas.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, I have always heard Chile was beautiful. Not sure why I have this fascination for a place I know so little about.. Billy is looking for a looooong trip down the Americas. Could be great fun. Maybe we will find some totally naked beautiful women on the beaches?* * *8)

Something must be wrong with this computer. That phrase keeps popping up all by itself!

Cheers!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Old 01-29-2006, 12:15 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Theo, the books say that the big German immigration to Chile took place between about 1895 and 1910. No Nazis at that time.

Valparaiso and Vina del Mar look like interesting places to explore. Vina looks too expensive for me, but Valparaiso might be affordable. In the photos it kind of looks lilke it is falling down though. It is on my list.

Akaisha, I think Chile is the wrong coast to find nude bathing. Too cold, too conservative, too many rocky beaches. A young amigo of mine just spent a couple of years romping (and humping) around Brazil and sent back many photos of the girls on the beaches. They are there. Women always look more beautiful running naked through the surf for some reason. Me, I will stay out of trouble with a cerveza with mi espousa in the palapa.

Gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:02 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Gypsy!

You are probably right about that...* I hear GREAT things about Brazil... Mostly from men who are "romping (and humping)" and you so concisely described! (They always ask: "What more is there?" I miss out on so much by hanging out in libraries... sigh...* )* *

Take care,

Akaisha
You know the rest....*