Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I didn't know that, but if you go out to be a kicker and don't get picked to kick then what happens? Do you ride the bench to get moved to another slot. In our small school the kicker is just the best kicker on the team and plays another position.
Probably would be a backup kicker and ride the bench or if the kid is so inclined, possibly another position if the kid and coaches agree and work him out in that role. However, smaller HS may not have much flexibility if they do not have enough kids on the roster.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I was your son and was denied ability to play I would never forgive you.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
I think you made a good decision. I think cross country is the best high school sport. CTE is serious and I think we'll see a lot of changes in attitudes as people come to accept this.
Yep. Reminds me of smoking 50 years ago...it was obvious that this wasn't a smart thing to do, but people did it anyway. Now, kids are out getting mowed over (football or soccer) and in a number of years, society will look back and wonder why we allowed it.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I still say he should discuss this with his physician.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallaher View Post
Cars kill more teenagers than organized sports.

Its not the being killed that would worry me. . . but the possibility of permanent disability.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:27 PM   #66
Dryer sheet wannabe

I also think you made a good decision. My two boys played pee wee, middle and high school football and true they didn't get to play much because it was a huge school , they hit plenty in practice. My deceased father played college and semi-pro football in the 1940's and was a running back. He had injuries that kept him in pain much of his adult life. (Of course that scrap of leather didn't offer much protection.) Do you have any flag football leagues in your area? I think flag football will replace contact football certainly at ages below high school and possibly even high school as more facts about head injuries come out. There are national flag football organizations that put teams together and help coordinate the individual clubs. Just a thought.
charais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Nephew is an ortho surgeon and wonít let his kid play football. Says his kidsí knees and back will thank him when the kid is 60.
Sanbenito1 is offline   Reply With Quote
no way
Old 06-05-2019, 04:06 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

no way

FWIW,
I could not play football due to a childhood skull fracture (likely all healed by 9th grade) and concerned parents with a backbone to back it up. It was not the most popular choice in a working class community high school back in the day.

Forty years later, I golf with some of the same guys who are getting knee replacements, etc etc. It's not just the CTE issues. In short, they grouse about "paying the price" etc. and "wish they chose otherwise". I count my blessings now.

So good for you if you say no, especially with the past issues. Note that soccer likely has a higher concussion rate, so make sure junior is going with low impact sports like cross country etc.
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #69
Confused about dryer sheets

All my 70 year old high school friends from Texas have screwed up knees, shoulders, and backs. My father, the doctor , would not let me play because he saw the results. Have him go out for track or golf or the debate team.
lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
If I was your son and was denied ability to play I would never forgive you.
parents who are aware of CTE and encouraged a son to play football might have trouble forgiving themselves if he developed irreversible neurological problems
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

The hard part of this conundrum is that the health problems don't show up right away. So the young person sees his/her friends having fun, seemingly without dire consequences.

No young person can imagine himself/herself being middle-aged, let alone with serious health problems. At that age, we are focused on the present and maybe a few years ahead.

That is why parents have to make the hard choices, as fairly and kindly as they know how, and bear any resulting resentment. And it can be a Morton's Fork choice. I wish the OP and their son best of luck in this. Definitely bring the doctor into it as much as possible, to deflect some resentment onto the outside authority.

Quote:
parents who are aware of CTE and encouraged a son to play football might have trouble forgiving themselves if he developed irreversible neurological problems
Old 06-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Lol I know plenty of 35yr olds with messed up knees and backs who didnít play any organized sports.
Beer-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #73

Quote:

You canít take away all the risk in life. Canít take away a bicycle because they might crash. Canít stop them from walking across the street by themselves. I understand the risks for goodness sakes. I also know the desire for a young man to play a team sport that will build many memories. You canít deny wanting to be with buddies in the huddle and locker room. Yes I got my bell rung many times. Maybe I was lucky. I also got hurt a few times. I survived.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
You canít take away all the risk in life. Canít take away a bicycle because they might crash. Canít stop them from walking across the street by themselves. I understand the risks for goodness sakes. I also know the desire for a young man to play a team sport that will build many memories. You canít deny wanting to be with buddies in the huddle and locker room. Yes I got my bell rung many times. Maybe I was lucky. I also got hurt a few times. I survived.
OK...lucky until now who knows if that will last for the rest of your life. Your argument that you did it years ago holds about as much water as saying, car seats for kids, never had one myself, who need a stinking car seat...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #75

What were we saying?