Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2008, 03:37 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Want2Retire, the ex-Washington Senators guy had 4 kids with 2 too close to college ages 16, 17. When this guy was telling me some of his dating history (a mistake, by the way), I noticed all the women had no kids or kids that were grown--but they all had money either thru ex-husbands or really good jobs or businesses. Hmmm...let me see....what ever could that mean that he was after?
I told him when he called to get a read from me about our date that I thought he was so my type (he was physically), but that he had too many kids that he would be needing to send thru college soon. He never called again. Think that's why he was somewhat interested in me? On to the next potential sucker...er, I mean woman.
If I ever do it again, I won't use a photo. Seems you must get the more sincere types like that? I used a good candid shot one of my employees took, and every player, creep, mooch in the nation wrote me. Ugh! I know I got over 100 letters easily, and it wore me down for a couple weeks until I decided I didn't have to do the Southern teaching of my mama and write each a nice thank you

Want2Retire: Balding but muscular sounds great to me, too. I surely don't care if a guy's bald or not. Just think of it as he has too much testosterone...he, he, he!

Haha: In the words of my dead step-mother who was so wise: when I made some snipie remark about some not too attractive gal once chasing the guy I was dating (they had broken up 3 years before): ugly men screw, too. So, this isn't just for good looking er's alone.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:40 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Orchidflower, I agree - - baldness in a guy is attractive (especially if the guy is Frank).

Good luck with the online sites.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

I think one of the problems is people go into online dating thinking they are going to meet losers ,psychos and general weirdo's and they fullfill their thoughts . Sure their are some users and pscho's on the internet but there are also a lot of lonely nice people looking for companionship and maybe even love . So if you really want someone in your life give it a try all you have to lose is a few hours of your time .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think one of the problems is people go into online dating thinking they are going to meet losers ,psychos and general weirdo's and they fullfill their thoughts . Sure their are some users and pscho's on the internet but there are also a lot of lonely nice people looking for companionship and maybe even love . So if you really want someone in your life give it a try all you have to lose is a few hours of your time .
I would add a suggestion to persist even if it takes more than a few hours to find him! It's your life so be nice to yourself and don't settle for less than you want if the right guy doesn't come along right off the bat. Good for you to turn down that Washington Senators guy, too. You'll find the right guy, and it doesn't sound like he was the one for you.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Orchidflower, I agree - - baldness in a guy is attractive
I've never found bald guy attractive. But what do I know?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I've never found bald guy attractive. But what do I know?
I'll bet muscular guys do nothing for you, either!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #47

I'm a little late in reading this thread but...

I met my late husband 20+ years ago thru a local single's newspaper ad. That was the going thing before the internet. We laminated his ad and mounted it on the groom's cake for our wedding.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I would add a suggestion to persist even if it takes more than a few hours to find him! It's your life so be nice to yourself and don't settle for less than you want if the right guy doesn't come along right off the bat.
w2r's advice reminds me of how the author of "What Color is Your Parachute?" (Richard Nelson Bolles?) characterized the job search:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO YES!

The love search might be more important than the job search, so keep tryin'! Not just via the Internet but more venues.

- Easy to say, 'cause I'm not the one looking
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
baldness in a guy is attractive
I just wanted to see that one again. I need the ego boost once in a while.

Now if only someone would say the same for shorter guys, my day would be completely made.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, some lots of women might find this short and bald guy kinda cute.

Feel better now, ziggy? (I'm sure you're taller than him.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini_me.jpg (13.5 KB, 74 views)
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I just wanted to see that one again. I need the ego boost once in a while.

Now if only someone would say the same for shorter guys, my day would be completely made.
Frank is at least half a foot shorter than me. I can tell you for a fact that bald, short guys can be quite attractive!

Maybe not the one flipstress showed, though. It helps if they are very muscular, with a resonant low voice and a something intriguing to say.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Frank is at least half a foot shorter than me. I can tell you for a fact that bald, short guys can be quite attractive!

Maybe not the one flipstress showed, though. It helps if they are very muscular, with a resonant low voice and a something intriguing to say.
Ohhhh, you like the George type.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Ohhhh, you like the George type.
Uh, er, maybe? At least we're getting closer, if the hair were white, and the brain under it was as in tune with mine as Frank's, if he actually had muscles, brains, empathy, and class, and if despite that he had a Yat accent (Uncle Mick can explain what that is) and a sense of humor. George would not make much of a rocket engineer.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Just musing here.

If I had to start over again today (God forbid; it would be due to circumstance, not choice), I think I would start by networking. I/we know a lot of people in the world and they know me. I get work this way, so it ought to work for more important things.

On that happy note,

Cheers!

Gypsy
Old 02-19-2008, 06:43 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Just musing here.

If I had to start over again today (God forbid; it would be due to circumstance, not choice), I think I would start by networking. I/we know a lot of people in the world and they know me. I get work this way, so it ought to work for more important things.
I mentioned that possibility a bit obliquely in a prior post, below; I think probably we all do start by networking because we deal with our business and social networks normally, and it essentially takes no effort. However, in my real life experience although networking sounds like it would present great possibilities, I found it was not very productive (especially if you do not especially enjoy mixing work and sex).

Quote:
On the other hand, meeting available men in other ways was a dilemma for me. I spend a lot of time at work, but did not want to date someone from work due to possible complications. I am a tee-totaler, and agnostic, so singles bars and church meetings were ruled out as possible dating sources. Singles that I met through friends were few and far between, and terrible matches for me, for various reasons. The internet worked out though I had to have a "tough skin" to sort through all the jerks.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #56

Every single time--except once--that someone has fixed me up on a blind date, I've been less than enthused. In fact, almost all the time I sit and say to myself, "what the hell were they thinking?" I refuse to be fixed up at all now. I'd rather stay home and read a book. Not for me.
Networking is the best way for me, since I'm so extraverted; however, I can see the validity of working the net IF you want to make the time to sort thru all the toads. But it do take time, patience and a keen eye for who's sincere and who's a playa.

Ziggy29: What's wrong with short? Count me as one who doesn't care how short or tall someone is...unless they are shorter than me (I'm only 5'4").
If you have ever seen the tv show Millionaire Matchmaker, she tells one gal who wants tall that a short man can look tall standing on his money. Pretty funny I thought.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote