Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
From the Minnesota Boating Guide:

The BWI law does not prohibit drinking alcoholic beverages aboard boats nor having an open bottle. The law applies to operators of motorboats that are not anchored, beached, moored, docked or being rowed or propelled by nonmechanical means at the time of the offense.

As far as I know, still illegal to have an open container in a car...
Same here in NY...a skipper can have an alcoholic beverage while driving a boat without penalty. However, if the skipper causes an accident or property damage or violates the rules of the waters, AND cannot pass a field BAC test, the proverbial book is thrown at him/her. Heavily.

I have boated for 25+ years. I have taken many United States Power Squadron courses, so many that I get a sizable discount on my insurance.

Do I have a beer or two while out on the lake ? Yes.
Do I get drunk while acting as skipper ? Hell no.
I am responsible for my passengers' safety and my behavior while on the water.
I take that responsibility very seriously.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

My baby...purchased 2005 brand new
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downsized_0930011156a.jpg (39.4 KB, 7 views)

Old 02-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of boats, I just watched "All is Lost", a movie with Robert Redford as a sole man on a sailboat that got damaged at sea. I would never think of sailing a small boat across the ocean (by myself or not), and this movie reminds me of the reason.

There is no dialog in this movie as the sole character is by himself. One of the few words he utters is "F*ck" when he discovers that salt water has seeped into the fresh water container he manages to salvage before his boat sinks. Oh man, I would not want to put myself in such a desperate situation.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Speaking of boats, I just watched "All is Lost", a movie with Robert Redford as a sole man on a sailboat that got damaged at sea. I would never think of sailing a small boat across the ocean (by myself or not), and this movie reminds me of the reason.

There is no dialog in this movie as the sole character is by himself. One of the few words he utters is "F*ck" when he discovers that salt water has seeped into the fresh water container he manages to salvage before his boat sinks. Oh man, I would not want to put myself in such a desperate situation.
I thought that was a very good movie, but the ending left me scratching my head..
Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

People die in auto accidents and plane crashes every year, and always will for the foreseeable future. But that doesn't stop most of us from driving or flying...

So so movie IMO.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm more the airplane type so I'd like one of these, also for just under $2 mil.
For that price I would expect at least two engines!
Old 02-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
For that price I would expect at least two engines!
That costs at least twice as much of course. This one is a bit over $6 mil but sure looks nice.

PlaneCheck Aircraft for Sale - New planes and price reductions

I did see another Lockheed P-38 under restoration for only $4.5 mil.

The market isn't exactly flooded with them.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #48
gone traveling

Tailgate, All Is Lost’s ambiguous ending: Does Robert Redford’s character live or die? And what does it mean?