hermit tendencies?

Anybody ever try the Minnesota Multi-Phasic Personality Index? Wikipedia ref 600 questions, all mandatory, no time limit. There's probably only about 100 different questions, but they switch up the wording trying to catch you trying to out-think the test.

For example:
7 - Have you ever admired others of the same sex in the locker room?
27 - At what age did you stop wetting the bed?
44 - Have you ever had a homosexual fantasy?
93 - How many years has it been since you last wet the bed?
123 - At what age did you have your first homosexual encounter?
278 - Do you often wet the bed?

My first job out of the Corps was armed security at Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant. We all had to take this to get our jobs.

By the time you get to number 150 you aren't trying to outsmart the test anymore, you're just filling in ANY circle just to get the bloody thing over with!

i am definately a hermit, but my wife is a social butterfly. Makes for some interesting saturdays!!!

28 ... but is it a bad sign that i couldn't remember if the scale was "agree-disagree" or "disagree-agree"?

I scored an 11.

AS to Hermit tendencies - some people would say I have some. But, I have periods of introversion and extroversion. I may want to be alone for a month or so and then go out on a trip with a group.

Sometimes we put the question and answer in a box and think of the strengths and weaknesses associated with that box. In this question of having hermit tendencies there could be more focus on the "loner" aspects instead of the "introspective" aspects. We may think of Jeffery Dahlmer as the "loner" and Thoreau as the "introspective". We may need to think outside the box to think of the question properly.

If the question was do you have explorer tendencies many who consider themselves "hermits" might not, thinking an explorer needs to have extrovert tendencies. I think an explorer would need qualities closer to an hermit (introvert) than an extrovert. An lone explorer would need the qualities of independence of thought and action; couriosity, and strength of will (especially not following the crowd). These might be considered hermit qualities. A exploration leader may need to add the qualities of leadership and communication.

So knowing the qualities you posses is only a step in knowing what is interesting to you and making you happy.

Any quality taken to an extream can have negative implications.

dex said:
. . .

Sometimes we put the question and answer in a box and think of the strengths and weaknesses associated with that box.
. . .

So knowing the qualities you posses is only a step in knowing what is interesting to you and making you happy.

Any quality taken to an extream can have negative implications.
Yes. Most people's personalities are far too complex to be captured in a self-administered test on the internet. They may be selling themselves short by looking at only one characteristic. :)

31 for me. I'm obsessive about things to the point where taking silly internet tests is kinda fun. And though I like being around people, after some internal limit of people-time gets reached, I _really_ need to be alone.

16, or about average.

6....would come as no surprise to DW. Love parties, talking, socializing, DW thinks of me like Shrek thinks of Donkey, "It's getting him to shut up that's the trick!". In fact, I enjoy having the house to myself for about 3 hours when DW and Tori go out, then I start calling her cell phone seeing when they are getting back. The one twist on being a total extrovert is that I seem to gravitate to the introverts, the engineers, etc. Maybe there is just no room for me and another alpha-blabber.... :LOL:

16. I don't really like being average. Boring. :(

retiredbop said:
Anybody ever try the Minnesota Multi-Phasic Personality Index? Wikipedia ref 600 questions, all mandatory, no time limit. There's probably only about 100 different questions, but they switch up the wording trying to catch you trying to out-think the test.
. . . .
By the time you get to number 150 you aren't trying to outsmart the test anymore, you're just filling in ANY circle just to get the bloody thing over with!
I had to take the MMPI as part of a court-ordered evaluation (never mind the details about that :p ) It was an interesting test to take because a number of the questions have strong moral and ethical overtones and are asked multiple times from rather different angles. I did some reseach on the test beforehand; most sources note that it is a complex set of questions and recommended that you not try to out-game the test, don't try to out-think it and do NOT try to portray yourself as better than you are -- in other words, if you answer in the negative to every one of the ethnically/emotionally charged questions, you will be dinged as a person who "presents themselves in an overly favorable light" because nobody can reasonably be expected to be without any bad thoughts.

I guess I did okay. My results were: "within psychological norms"

:)

Linney said:
I guess I did okay. My results were: "within psychological norms" :)

So that's what the normal people get! My "reviewer" told me that my results indicated that I "hold myself to an impossibly high moral standard".

Well, I passed it, I guess, because I got the job. Like you, I always the test was a complete waste of my time.

retiredbop said:
So that's what the normal people get! My "reviewer" told me that my results indicated that I "hold myself to an impossibly high moral standard".

I'm normal? Ack! Well, I suppose it was a good thing at the time, given the situation (i.e. a court eval)

Interesting read.

I would consider myself mildly introverted. I'm not exactly somebody who goes around introducing himself to strangers, but I can function in social settings. Given the choice, we choose the cottage over social events however.

Where I see my hermit tendencies is in my desire to be able to CONTROL interactions with people. By this I mean I want to be able to control where and when I see, hear, and have to deal with people. I have no problem going into town, buying groceries, talking to the cashier, running into neighbour, etc.

But when I am at home (or at the cottage) I just don't want to see or hear other people. It always seems that the main source of our stress comes from neighbours; whether it be the nice but clueless old lady down the road that lets her dogs bark incessantly, the single mother who lets her kids blare music outside at all hours and go screaming into the pool at 11:30 on a weeknight, to the ricer with the fart-can exhaust and the subwoofer boom-boom-booming down the road at 2 am.

The most peaceful times for my wife and I is when we can go the cottage mid-week before everybody else shows up on the weekend. To be able to sit outside, small fire going, and to hear absolutely nothing but the wind in the leaves and the lonely wail of a loon is priceless.

Ditto to what eric said - and I scored a 25 although almost all were in the 'slightly' category answer for me.

I go back to Nords link - to me it's all about energy - I can interact with people and at times enjoy it, however, in order to recharge, I need time alone pursuing those things that are important to me without someone draining my energy. Going to a party and interacting with a lot of people is draining and I need to be able to 'control' the energy level.

As for Nords - he didn't seem all that introverted to me when we met him - however, anyone who can control their time and their interactions such that they are at the right level of stress and energy will be a pleasant person to be with. Even more reason to RE!

Friends of mine who are true extroverts cannot be alone...I have a girlfriend who calls me every now and then to talk - she's such an extrovert - she has TONS of friends and I tease her that they all must be off on vacations or something for her to call and talk with me - I love her and love being with her and interacting, however, I don't relish the circus at her house on a full-time basis. I visit for entertainment :) My other colleague was such an extrovert that when I shut the intervening door between our hotel rooms (long story - we were in a hostile country on a business trip) she berated me the next morning - I just wanted time to be alone and sleep ferchrissake! That didn't cut the mustard with her - found out later she went and harassed some other people on our trip - she needed the people, the attention and that energy she got from them.

Deserat

This thread has me thinking about my life and how I interact with people and that I've been this way since childhood. I'm perfectly happy being alone and pretty much always have been. I remember as a teenager hanging out in my room either reading, drawing or listening to music alone instead of being out with the other kids in the neighborhood. Even before that, as a child I would play with my dolls alone in my room. My parents worried about that for reasons I found out later, they did not need to worry, it's just the way I am. Dh on the other hand is an extrovert and being around him and his friends gives me all the people contact I need. He loves being the center of attention and the "leader of the pack", sometimes it drives me nuts and other times I just sit back and watch as he works the crowd. They say opposites attract, I guess that's what happened to us.

36 for me.

I don't consider myself to be a hermit. I like people, though mostly on a one-to-one basis and mostly intelligent and/or insightful people that don't bore me.

I do enjoy time to myself as well, and I don't find that to be boring. Like eric, I do not like others to intrude on my solitude. In retirement I'd love to avoid such intrusions and still benefit from the advantages of city utilities, medical care, and so on. No isolated mountain-top retreat for me. Maybe my retirement house will be on a large corner lot across from a cemetary or golf course. Ahh, such pleasant daydreams. :)

16 for me. I was surprised I didn't score a higher number as I've always enjoyed solitude, reflection and doing some activities alone. But, I also enjoy being around other folks in many situations. Too much of any one thing is what gets on my nerves.

At parties or other group functions, I tend to be a listener more than a talker and tend to attract people that like being listened too. But even though I'm quiet at a party, I enjoy being there, especially if I've been spending a lot of time alone.

I guess I'd describe myself as a semi-extrovert.

Back
Top Bottom