Join Early Retirement Today

Re: hermit tendencies?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #121
Dryer sheet aficionado

Interesting read.

I would consider myself mildly introverted. I'm not exactly somebody who goes around introducing himself to strangers, but I can function in social settings. Given the choice, we choose the cottage over social events however.

Where I see my hermit tendencies is in my desire to be able to CONTROL interactions with people. By this I mean I want to be able to control where and when I see, hear, and have to deal with people. I have no problem going into town, buying groceries, talking to the cashier, running into neighbour, etc.

But when I am at home (or at the cottage) I just don't want to see or hear other people. It always seems that the main source of our stress comes from neighbours; whether it be the nice but clueless old lady down the road that lets her dogs bark incessantly, the single mother who lets her kids blare music outside at all hours and go screaming into the pool at 11:30 on a weeknight, to the ricer with the fart-can exhaust and the subwoofer boom-boom-booming down the road at 2 am.

The most peaceful times for my wife and I is when we can go the cottage mid-week before everybody else shows up on the weekend. To be able to sit outside, small fire going, and to hear absolutely nothing but the wind in the leaves and the lonely wail of a loon is priceless.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ditto to what eric said - and I scored a 25 although almost all were in the 'slightly' category answer for me.

I go back to Nords link - to me it's all about energy - I can interact with people and at times enjoy it, however, in order to recharge, I need time alone pursuing those things that are important to me without someone draining my energy. Going to a party and interacting with a lot of people is draining and I need to be able to 'control' the energy level.

As for Nords - he didn't seem all that introverted to me when we met him - however, anyone who can control their time and their interactions such that they are at the right level of stress and energy will be a pleasant person to be with. Even more reason to RE!

Friends of mine who are true extroverts cannot be alone...I have a girlfriend who calls me every now and then to talk - she's such an extrovert - she has TONS of friends and I tease her that they all must be off on vacations or something for her to call and talk with me - I love her and love being with her and interacting, however, I don't relish the circus at her house on a full-time basis. I visit for entertainment :-) My other colleague was such an extrovert that when I shut the intervening door between our hotel rooms (long story - we were in a hostile country on a business trip) she berated me the next morning - I just wanted time to be alone and sleep ferchrissake! That didn't cut the mustard with her - found out later she went and harassed some other people on our trip - she needed the people, the attention and that energy she got from them.

Deserat

Old 02-06-2007, 06:19 AM   #123

This thread has me thinking about my life and how I interact with people and that I've been this way since childhood. I'm perfectly happy being alone and pretty much always have been. I remember as a teenager hanging out in my room either reading, drawing or listening to music alone instead of being out with the other kids in the neighborhood. Even before that, as a child I would play with my dolls alone in my room. My parents worried about that for reasons I found out later, they did not need to worry, it's just the way I am. Dh on the other hand is an extrovert and being around him and his friends gives me all the people contact I need. He loves being the center of attention and the "leader of the pack", sometimes it drives me nuts and other times I just sit back and watch as he works the crowd. They say opposites attract, I guess that's what happened to us.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #124
Administrator

36 for me.

I don't consider myself to be a hermit. I like people, though mostly on a one-to-one basis and mostly intelligent and/or insightful people that don't bore me.

I do enjoy time to myself as well, and I don't find that to be boring. Like eric, I do not like others to intrude on my solitude. In retirement I'd love to avoid such intrusions and still benefit from the advantages of city utilities, medical care, and so on. No isolated mountain-top retreat for me. Maybe my retirement house will be on a large corner lot across from a cemetary or golf course. Ahh, such pleasant daydreams.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

16 for me. I was surprised I didn't score a higher number as I've always enjoyed solitude, reflection and doing some activities alone. But, I also enjoy being around other folks in many situations. Too much of any one thing is what gets on my nerves.

At parties or other group functions, I tend to be a listener more than a talker and tend to attract people that like being listened too. But even though I'm quiet at a party, I enjoy being there, especially if I've been spending a lot of time alone.

I guess I'd describe myself as a semi-extrovert.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #126

I scored a 19.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

I took the quiz a couple of days ago and, after seeing my score, thought I didn't answer reasonably or something. My score was a 3. I tried again today with the thought in my mind to carefully consider the question and not "over-respond." And I scored a 2.

Probably the two factors that resulted in the low score are an aversion to fine detail and a desire to meet and get to know people.