Hobbies in ER

Ron'Da said:

Awesome.

I do not have any animals in my life right now, but years ago when I had a house, yard, and significant other who could spend some time at home, I had a wonderful little Sheltie, who I miss to this day (he went with S/O when we left Texas/broke up).

I am a big, brusque guy who does not keep a ton of people friends, but I just love the breed (and Border Collies). So many of my male friends think of a dog as a way to display their own masculinity so they go for huge, tough, unsociable dogs - the meaner the better. But for me, go ahead and call me a wimp, nothing beats the gentle disposition and orientation of a typical Sheltie. Some are a bit shy, but they generally love to be near you, but not right underfoot. They are smart, loyal, attuned, not-hyper, full of personality, etc. I know there are a huge range of differences from one individual dog to another but you can bet when I am actually FI/REd and feel I can devote enough time to caring for one properly, that is the breed I would look into. Good on ya for doing good work!

I have always thought that hobbies were things that unexpectedly grabbed your attention and took over your life, not things that you one day decided to go out looking for. If you never had hobbies before retirement, it seems like you may just not be the hobby type.

I started racing motorcycles in 1971 and after a several year lay-off I'm planning on getting back on the track this year. But part of my hobby is designing and building my own bikes so it is easy to be in a situation of having multiple "works in progress" and nothing ready to ride.

But I'm getting to where that's OK too. I'm trying to take more of an attitude of enjoying the journey. If I'm having fun figuring out what I want to build, and then how to build it, then I'm having fun. I'm trying to focus on that fun factor.

One of the machine tools I have is a CNC (computer controlled) milling machine, so I'm getting to learn 3D CAD/modeling as well as machine control software in order to make more complicated parts than I could with the manual mill I started out with. I weld up the frames and have also been learning sheet metal work for building tanks and seats. I also end up building some of the tools.

There's no shortage of things to do or learn.

cheers,
Michael

My hobby is restoring a 150 year old farm house and barn. In the proccess we found a newspaper called The Canadian Agriculturalist dated 1856. It was in one of the walls in the attic.
Also, like to brew beer, whole grain method.

sooner said:
whole grain method.

I was a homebrewer (no kits) for a couple of years way back when... I think that will definitely be something I take up again post-FI/RE. Like the idea of my own recipes, the sound of the air lock bubbling, smell of fresh whole hops (not pelletized), the simplicity of the task of bottle washing... and of course, the final product!

HFWR said:
Music, woodworking, photography, lechery...

For a good take on how to combine two of those interests, see Phil Greenspun's photography section. In there he has some great pictures of his women friends who seem to like to sit around his apartment naked, eating Chinese takeout, playing cards, pulling books out of his shelves and just being domestic in many charming ways.

Ha

HaHa said:
For a good take on how to combine two of those interests, see Phil Greenspun's photography section. In there he has some great pictures of his women friends who seem to like to sit around his apartment naked, eating Chinese takeout, playing cards, pulling books out of his shelves and just being domestic in many charming ways.

Ha

Ha: About the time I feel I have permanent "burn-out" on this
forum, I read one of your posts, and get reeled back in again. :D

Jarhead* said:
Ha: About the time I feel I have permanent "burn-out" on this
forum, I read one of your posts, and get reeled back in again. :D

Give it up Jarhead. You know you can't quit, you might miss something! ;)

REWahoo! said:
Give it up Jarhead. You know you can't quit, you might miss something! ;)

ReWahoo: It must be tiring to be right all the time. :D

Apparantly you got your front seat cleared of the "aftermath" of your
near miss a couple of days ago.

Stay tuned if you want my picks for the coming week-end. 8)

Hmmmm Hobbies, where to begin..

drag racing ( myself, DW and all 3 kids)
camping (small motorhome camping with a large group of friends)
welding ( mig, tig ) ( ornamental iron and other fun stuff )
machining ( lathe, and just purchased a Bridgeport mill for $400 )
garage sales and auctions
gardening
golfing ( both Dw and myself)
2-3 day backpack trips
weekend trips visiting friends and siblings

and a lot of other activities..

goodguy

Jarhead* said:
Stay tuned if you want my picks for the coming week-end. 8)

Thats easy. Pats vs Bears in a remake of the 1986 travesty, this time minus the "superbowl shuffle", the cocaine, and the bears win.

And I beg to disagree.

Saints vs. Colts. Colts win, just so Peyton can add that feather. Saints feel good, just getting there. We used to call that a win-win.

Eh, I'm an anti-manning. One thinks he's so good he doesn't have to follow the rules, the other one blames his teammates when they lose. One isnt actually that great of a quarterback, the other one doesnt have the heart to win big games.

I like the saints though...heck of a team with a lot of potential. They could easily beat the bears.

Saints/Pats just doesnt have any history though. I was looking forward to a week of watching clips of Tony Eason showing the 86 bears that he could easily drop to the ground before they could hit him.

Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny said:
Thats easy. Pats vs Bears in a remake of the 1986 travesty, this time minus the "superbowl shuffle", the cocaine, and the bears win.

I like your pick for the superbowl matchup but the results will be different Pats already beat the Bears once this season and they will do it again.

Back
Top Bottom