Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Hobbies in retirement
Old 02-11-2005, 07:32 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

According to IRS's Publication 970,, *you're out of luck unless you can prove that it is somehow related to a job. So find a part time hobby, that can pay you cash, start a small business <like real estate or tax prep>, and write it off or forget it. BTW: you have to at least break-even for this to continue working
I think the IRS term that distinguishes hobbies from business is "intent to make a profit". Actually making a profit is one way to show such intent; I believe the rule is 3 out of every 5 years, but I don't know if that's a formal rule or just a rule of thumb. Other things that are considered are a written business plan, separate business bank accounts, business licenses, proper payment of state sales and use taxes, accounting records, etc.

malakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2005, 07:36 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Avid Golfer before and after.
Was really into Trains - collecting and a 4X8 layout in the basement, but it's an expensive hobby and haven't pursured it since retirment.
My next hobby, as I posted earlier, will be working for the Pittsburgh Pirates - home games only.

renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Makin' Sawdust
Old 03-09-2005, 01:25 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Makin' Sawdust

Calling all woodworkers!

If I ever win the lottery this is where I'd spend it

To me its like the LL Bean of everything but pricey and for the most part, not cheesy. Anyway its one of the few catalogs I get and actually look at every page before tossing it.

Point is, they are offering FREE shipping in March. To qualify, according to Woodworker's Journal, use promotional code V5740 at checkout.

...would like to hear "Git 'er done" replaced with,"Cut it up!"

Ahhh sawdust...the cats love it as much as I do!

In a panamax down by the river.
BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:34 AM   #44

Shouldn't this post be under "Help in planing?"