Join Early Retirement Today

Hobbies in retirement
Old 12-14-2004, 03:49 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Hobbies in retirement

A few people have mentioned lately that after retirement they lost interest in hobbies they ardently pursued before retirement. They worked hard and played hard but when the work was gone, they lost interest in the hobbies.

For you retirees and semi-retirees, how have your hobbies and interests changed after retirement?

Martha

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hobbies in retirement
Old 12-14-2004, 04:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two of my primary hobbies are swimming and walking. Before retirement I used to try to rush to the pool for a swim during my lunch hour or rush to the pool after work to swim and then rush home for dinner with the family. Those were the times when the pool and locker room were most crowded. Now that I'm retired I can go whenever it is convenient. Some days I swim in the morning and some days I swim in the early afternoon. Often, I am the only swimmer in the pool. It is so much more relaxing and enjoyable this way.

As for walking; I used to walk even when the weather was bad because I needed the stress relief it provided. I often got up early to walk before work. Now I am a lot more laid back about it. If the weather isn't good, I skip a day or two. I find I enjoy the walks I do take more than ever.

Grumpy
Old 12-14-2004, 05:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Surfing was one of our top causes of workplace absenteeism illness so, not needing any more temptation in my working life, I waited until retirement to learn.

Afternoon naps. *This is a lot easier at home than in the office. *An unexpected side benefit has been that it's a great barometer of whether I'm feeling healthy or not... somedays I confuse fatigue with eyestrain and a nap sorts that right out.

I used to bicycle 2000-3000 commuter miles annually. *I haven't had the bike out of the garage in weeks. *I'd rather spend the time surfing or working around the house/yard.

I used to swim laps & run, but that's been replaced by surfing and walking. *Spouse & I especially enjoy after-dinner walks (and our kid enjoys being left alone in the house). *

I used to spend a lot of time in the gym hefting weights, now I spend it in the back yard hefting compost. I'm getting to be a much better landscaper/gardener (thanks to my father-in-law and the UH Agricultural Extension's website). *Ironically it has an ROI since our fruit production is way up. *In that light, our next crop will probably be tomatoes.

Home improvement skills have also significantly, uhm, improved. *Part of that has been more time for "This Old House" and Family Handyman magazine.

I spend a 2-3 hours more each day reading-- both in print and on the internet. *I'm probably one of the library's biggest customers. *Even if you account for the shift from nuclear-power manuals to financial management I'm still reading more.

When I was working, I thought that retirement would involve more volunteer work and catching up on TV/movies that I've missed over the last couple decades. *I've been too busy to attempt either of those.

My kid led me to tae kwon do, and I wish I'd found it 20 years ago. *Part of its enjoyment comes from a good instructor and a good crowd of fellow students, but it's really paying off in agility, balance, reflexes, and weight loss. *I'd highly recommend some sort of martial arts for anyone at any age.

One caution on physical activity in retirement-- it can cause a lot of pain (even at age 44). *I'm in the best shape of my life but when I pull my head out of an activity I usually realize that I've overdone it and I'll be paying heartily despite 800 mg of ibuprofen. *Tae kwon do, surfing, yard work, even housework have all over-exerted muscles that I didn't even know I had. Part of the problem is that in retirement I don't have to quit after 30 minutes or an hour-- but instead can keep going until the job is done.

Now that we have plenty of time to travel, we don't seem to be that interested. *That may change when we're empty nesters, and another part of it has been pet/home care. *Or maybe it's because we can travel the world in video without un-wedging our butts from our recliner.

When I was working, I only had time for a couple of interests. *I thought that in retirement I'd develop plenty of them. *While I've added a lot of things to my "Try before you die" list, I've spent a lot more time thoroughly exploring one or two interests instead of shotgunning the field. *There just doesn't seem to be any of that old "Get this done before you have to go back to work" urgency.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mostly the same hobbies.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:02 PM   #5

Martha,
Never had time for hobbies, really, while working. Took up sailing again a few years before ER.

When I went ER, I was able to spend more time on the boat, and a year later, bought a bigger boat making an even more all-involving hobby.

Had always wanted to do yoga before ER, but I could never slow down enough (or find the time). Day I started ER, I started doing yoga and have been doing it several times a week ever since.

Had "sculpture' on my original To Do list when starting ER-- never done a thing in that vein throughout my working life, but was intrigued by it. A year into ER had still done nothing. Two years later, took a class. Now I do it all the time and really love it. (Making realistic portrait heads of people).

ESRBob
Old 12-15-2004, 08:15 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now that we have plenty of time to travel, we don't seem to be that interested. *That may change when we're empty nesters, and another part of it has been pet/home care. *Or maybe it's because we can travel the world in video without un-wedging our butts from our recliner.
This makes good sense to me. If you are living someplace beautiful and warm, why leave? When I lived in the Northeast, I would almost kill to get away in January or February. Here on the Pacific, I really don't want to go anywhere much. At least not lately!

Mikey
Old 12-16-2004, 03:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Our travel has pretty much died off to zero over the years. Can't explain it rationally.

During work years - there was that 'Get outta Dodge' feeling - put as much distance between us and the workplace as possible. Also she had this thing where she always bought tourist na-bobs to give away when we got back - ?? to prove we were there?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Well living in Minnesota with it hitting 5 below zero this week, I can't wait to spend time outside of the state in winter time. As of the first of January, I not only will be part time but won't be managing partner any more. I need out of here! It is cold and dark!

We probably are going to get on a train and go to New Orleans January 1 for a week to cellibrate me getting out of managment and turning 50 years old.

My husband is so stingy though that he doesn't want to go unless I can find a legal education seminar so the trip is a business expense.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:38 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now I do it all the time and really love it. *(Making realistic portrait heads of people). ESRBob
I thought most sculptors used stone or wood. I bet making portrait heads this way would really hurt. Doesn't using people make it hard to find volunteers?

Sorry. Just finished Eats, Shoots & Leaves and I couldn't resist. I'm over it now...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 12-16-2004, 07:32 AM   #10

Quote:
My husband is so stingy though that he doesn't want to go unless I can find a legal education seminar so the trip is a business expense.
This may be slightly of the subject but....

Soon after I retire next year, I plan to do a lot of international travelling over the next 10 years. Althought I hadn't thought about it until you brought it up and also being very stingy frugal, I like the idea of writing off some of this "business of life" travel. Anyone have any suggestions on having Uncle Sam share some (I'm not that greedy, only 30% to 50%) of the expenses?

MJ
Old 12-16-2004, 08:27 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Hiking and fishing, used to be a backpacker, not sure how my rebuilt back would like that now, but I still like to hike. Always wanted to do a long distance trail like the AT, or PCT. And being retired gives me lots of fishing opportunities, and spending a hour or so per day on the web........Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #12

An aside to Martha, then I will get back on topic.

The train from Minn. to New Orleans sounds delightful.
After I quit flying, I took AMTRAK all over the country.
I am curious with your frugal hubby if you will have the
Deluxe Sleeper. I always did, but usually someone else
was paying. And BTW, with my small holding company,
it's not too hard for me to come up with a business
purpose for most trips, even though we usually just go back and forth to Texas.

My two (2) main pursuits before I retired were duck hunting and motorcycles. Both are pretty much done for
me, which of course I did not anticipate prior to retiring. That's the bad news. The good news is that I have lots of other
interests. I spend a couple hours a day on the computer. I read, fish, boat, walk the dog, lunch with friends, I have time now to be more involved in a few
organizations which I have belonged to for years.
That's a nice bonus.

The one thing that I wish I enjoyed is home improvement projects. Some people love this stuff.
I hate it and have no talent for it.

JG
Old 12-16-2004, 10:01 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

John, one of my pre-retirement hobbies is taking trains. I don't fly either. Irrational about it. We have taken trains to Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New Orlean, and Washington DC. We also have taken trains in Canada. We do the deluxe sleeper. I refuse anything less. However, generally the destination is a conference so my firm pays.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This may be slightly of the subject but....

Soon after I retire next year, I plan to do a lot of international travelling over the next 10 years. Althought I hadn't thought about it until you brought it up and also being very stingy frugal, I like the idea of writing off some of this "business of life" *travel. Anyone have any suggestions on having Uncle Sam share some (I'm not that greedy, only 30% to 50%) of the expenses?MJ
Umm, business expenses are not really compatible with retirement, are they? Sounds like a way to get a new retirement hobby- dealing with IRS auditors.
Mikey
Old 12-16-2004, 11:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Umm, business expenses are not really compatible with retirement, are they? Sounds like a way to get a new retirement hobby- dealing with IRS auditors.
Mikey
Can't hurt to ask.

MJ
Old 12-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Can't hurt to ask.
MJ ;D
Take a look at the IRS rules regarding "real estate professional" and see if it's worth traveling to different areas in search of investments.

When we were living in San Diego with a Hawaii rental home we deducted the expenses of crossing the Pacific to take care of the property. Of course we owned the property, which was a pretty good reason for the trip. You could take it one step further and claim to be preparing to become an owner in that area. But, yeah, I suspect the IRS would be all over that one.

One year a friend of mine mistakenly depreciated his rental home's land as well as the home itself. The IRS audited Schedule E and issued the appropriate penalties and beatings. Even though he hasn't made another mistake since, he was audited every single year of the next five... is this worth your potential savings?

Old 12-17-2004, 03:35 AM   #17

Yeah, this is area ripe for cheating. Pretty hard to challenge if you own the property being visited
(and file your taxes properly)

Two (2) quick IRS audit stories. First audit was underway when I saw a program on TV where they
interviewed the IRS commissioner. They were discussing the very issue under dispute on my return.
The Commissioner was asked and verified that I handled it correctly. I told this to the auditor at our next meeting. His response? "He doesn't have to come down here and do the audits!"

Next audit was turning into a real test of wills. They wouldn't give and neither would I. I was moving out of state so
I requested that my audit be moved also, thinking I
couldn't do any worse. About 6 weeks after I moved they called and we set an appointment. I arrived in full
battle mode. The whole business took 20 minutes.
Basically they said, "Yeah, you are right. No tax due!"
If you get in an audit and are strong in your position you might consider a change of venue.

JG

Old 12-17-2004, 12:19 PM   #18

Quote:
I thought most sculptors used stone or wood. *I bet making portrait heads this way would really hurt. *Doesn't using people make it hard to find volunteers?

Sorry. *Just finished Eats, Shoots & Leaves and I couldn't resist. *I'm over it now...
Nords,
My wife has decided she wants one made out of cat for her birthday. *No, scratch that,... Oh forget it! *She's getting a clay head of our cat, and it won't cost me a dime.

ESRBob
Old 12-19-2004, 08:51 AM   #19

Quote:
For you retirees and semi-retirees, how have your hobbies and interests changed after retirement?
Martha
Now I have the time and energy to pursue my hobbies. This is the primary reason why I pulled the trigger. I actually enjoyed by job and career, just not at the expense of all the other things I can do with 50 extra daytime hours per week.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #20

"Loafing" is a legitimate and beneficial activity. For
example, today I left the house around noon with my
dog. We had some errands but nothing too important.
It was almost cocktail hour when we got back. A
delightful afternoon in spite of the cold weather.
Just me and my doggie, meandering.

JG